Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car dies when coming to a stop, HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car dies when coming to a stop, HELP please

Hey guys, sorry for the long post but please try to read it if you have the time, if not here are cliffs:

Car: 00' Civic EX - Engine: B16A2
-CEL came on, codes P0172 (too rich) and P0113 (IAT sensor high voltage)
-Cleared codes, car ran fine for a little more than a month
-CEL comes back yesterday with new code P0500 (VSS sensor) and not P0172 or P0113
-Engine dies when in neutral coming to a stop. As soon as I put it in neutral the rpms drop to about 200-300 and back up to around 700 and then back down. When I come to a stop with my brakes applied engine either dies or gets really close to dying.
-Mainly happens when I apply the brakes and when I turn the wheel while stopped.
-My ignition timing is probably off since I had to remove the dizzy and never adjusted timing when I put it pack on. Do you think it's because of this my car is acting up?
-HALP!

OK, my car has been acting up for a while now, starting about 2 months ago when I drove to PA to take my gf to the airport. The car ran perfectly fine on it's way there, but as soon as I pulled out of the terminal the CEL came on. I babied it home and got had the codes pulled. They ended up being P0113 (IAT sensor circuit high voltage) and P0172 (fuel system too rich). I checked my IAT sensor and it seemed fine and I haven't checked my o2 sensor.

Sidenote: My car ran perfectly after I did my swap and got almost as good mileage as my d16, but I did notice a drop in fuel economy. I went from averaging about 310 miles to the tank to about 275.

I couldn't find anything wrong so I disconnected the battery to reset the ecu. The car went back to normal since then (even though I still had sort of crappy gas mileage). Well yesterday the CEL decided to come back on. It came on after I got on it a little bit to make it around 2 maintenance trucks that were moving slow. I did hit VTEC and after I passed them I slowed down. As I slowed down before getting to the light, the CEL came on. While slowing down I put it in neutral while holding on the brakes and my RPMs dropped to about 200-300 and the car shuddered. The rpms bounced back up and then dropped again and repeated until I came to a stop. When I stopped the rpms dropped so low that the car died.

I pretty much had to keep my foot slightly on the gas to keep the engine running. I took it to get scanned again today and I get a totally new code and just that code alone. P0500 (VSS circuit malfunction). WTF?!? Nothing is wrong with my speedometer or odometer.

So pretty much my car drives fine as long as I'm moving (I do notice a little drop in power) but as soon as I slow down and put it into neutral the idle drops to 300rpms or lower and the engine just barely stays running. It jumps up from 2-300ish to about 700 then back down.

It acts up when I have the brakes applied and also when I turn my steering wheel at a stop. I think it may have something to do with vacuum and my ignition timing. When running properly my vacuum gauge reads 20in/hg at idle, but when it starts acting up it jumps from 22 down to around 15.

I sprayed carb cleaner around the vacuum lines in the engine while it was running but didn't hear or notice any changes in idle.

As for my ignition timing, it hasn't been set since I did my swap. I had to remove my dizzy and when I replaced it I never set it back to spec so I'm sure my ignition timing is off.

Sorry for the long post but I just want to be as descriptive as possible. This is driving me nuts and I want to find the culprit and get it solved. Any advice?

Also, do you guys know of anywhere that does timing? (Shell gas station, Meineke etc...) How much do you think it should cost to get my timing adjusted?

I would do it myself but I do not have a timing gun.

Thanks for reading.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car dies when coming to a stop, HELP please

anyone?