Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this?

Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this?
I use the OEM filters and I am f**kin' pissed right about now. I've been f**kin' around with this damn filter for about an hour now. I drove a screw driver through the center of it to try and turn it and the piece of $hit Craftsman scredriver broke When the screwdriver came through the other side of the filter I hit a wire and not sure if I pierced the outer cover or not. Before giving up and coming in because I am sooooo pissed, I laid my head down on the ground only to feel warm oil in my hair
I am sooooooo f**kin' pissed right now I feel like driving the f**kin' car off a cliff!!!!!

Is there an oil filter wrench for the little OEM filters? If not, I am going to start paying the $12 at the local Wal-Mart. This is too much f**kin' aggravation! I swear my suspension went smoother than this $hit has tonight!

Plus the damn Mobil1 cost me about $28 for a 6 quart pack. This is f**kin' bull$hit! I am probably going to pull the engine next year anyhow, so I may just start taking this $hit to Wal-Mart. Hell, maybe they'll leave the drain plug out and I can get a new engine out of them

I'm done venting!! Is there a wrench that will make this easier?

PS <> The damn filter is still
Old 08-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (C5_ALLMOTOR)

They do make oil filter wrenches but i dont think theres room to use it like its supposed to be so it proobabaly wouldnt do any good. Ive had to resort to the screwdriver idea and its worked.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (Losrocket'91)

Stabbing a screwdriver through the filter-
payin someon else to change your oil-
Go to auto zone and get a metal strap oil filter wrench, the small one. Theres plenty of room, hell I do mine from the top.
Heres 3 hints, 1)after you get the filter off, lube the new filter gastet or you will go through it again. 2)Make sure the old gasket comes off w/ the filter and is not stuck to the block, it will leak. 3) Replace the oil plug gasket w/ a new one from honda, its an aluminum crush gasket. Hope that helps, you need it.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (LX98Civic)

GO to PEP boys or Aid auto store and get the oil filter wrench adaptor for the filter (make sure it is not 1/2 in, unless you have a wrench that size) Good luck
Old 08-24-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (LX98Civic)

If you don't want to pay $30 for oil per oil change, then just don't. Use 1 quart Mobil1 synthetic w/ 3 quarts normal oil, or a 50/50 split. Using pure synthetic is overkill. just a liitle each time is enough to help fufill the purpose (reduce engine wear from start-ups). Using all synth oil make the engine too slippery, keeps it too clean.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (ihopcvcc)

oil isnt that bad. i pay 14 bux for 4 quarts of synthetic blend. anywho, to solve your problem without buy any wrenches, all you do is put a piece of sand paper in your hand or plam and then screw that filter off by hand. works everytime for me. if its really stuck, just use a corser sand paper. hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (deviant1)

oil wrench
by hand
Old 08-24-2002, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FRAM Sure grip 0wnz!
Old 08-24-2002, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (allmtrSI)

FRAM Sure grip 0wnz!
Screw that sure grip crap! I was trying to get that FRAM filter with the grip off for like half an hour! It took 3 seconds with the oil filter wrench.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (Vanilla4215)

sure grip sux ***... If there was room for an oil filter wrench in my volvo there's room in the civic I had to go in from below for the volvo...

Take the craftsman tool back!!! THEY GAURANTEE THEIR QUILITY THOSE CHEAP BASTARDS!!!
Old 08-25-2002, 12:47 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time, buy yourself a filter socket. They only cost a buck or two. You can use it with a ratchet wrench or a 1" wrench...

Old 08-25-2002, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (ihopcvcc)

Using all synth oil make the engine too slippery, keeps it too clean.
TOO SLIPPERY???TOO CLEAN???What are you saying, that you like running hot and noisy? You WANT it to die before if should?? You LIKE stressing the engine when you don't have to?? I don't think there is a problem with non-synth oil(unless it is my car), but there is no such thing as TOO clean when it comes to MY cooling system.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Next time, buy yourself a filter socket. They only cost a buck or two. You can use it with a ratchet wrench or a 1" wrench...

That's pretty cool, where do you get one?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (dom93hatch)

Stab it w/ a screwdriver then turn.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (blykins)

That's a last resort method. It never worked very well for me b/c by turning the screwdriver, it just makes the hole you stabbed bigger...so you need a lot more turning space.

ALso, you have to be careful not to stab the oil cooler or ruin the threads for the oil filter.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mixing regular and synthetic oil is bad for your car.. i forget why... maybe someone else can explain.. but it IS bad...
Old 08-25-2002, 12:28 PM

I really hope thats sarcasm because if you read his post HE TRIED THAT...
Old 08-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Banned

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (iviZeRoCooLivi)

i know but he said the screwdriver broke, if he gets a better quality screwdriver it wont break and the filter will come off.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know but he said the screwdriver broke, if he gets a better quality screwdriver it wont break and the filter will come off.
My father ended up giving me a hand and we got it off. My brother installed this last filter and just put it on wayyyyyyyy to tight. Put this one on and gave it a 1/4 turn. Everything's all good now
Old 08-29-2002, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (goullish)

Using all synth oil make the engine too slippery, keeps it too clean.

TOO SLIPPERY???TOO CLEAN???What are you saying, that you like running hot and noisy? You WANT it to die before if should?? You LIKE stressing the engine when you don't have to?? I don't think there is a problem with non-synth oil(unless it is my car), but there is no such thing as TOO clean when it comes to MY cooling system.
Engines are designed with petroleum based motor oil in mind, sometimes synthetic IS too slippery. Some engines are designed to have crankshafts and other moving parts "slap" motor oil onto the inner walls of the engine to coat the walls in oil aid in cooling, etc. Some synthetics are so slippery that the engine parts slide right through, and can't get enough friction to grab onto the oil & throw it where it's supposed to go.

mixing regular and synthetic oil is bad for your car.. i forget why... maybe someone else can explain.. but it IS bad...
just another myth to get you to buy more oil. The truth, straight from the Mobil website:
Q. Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together?
A. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. But the superior performance of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will be reduced by diluting it.
Source: http://www.mobil1.com/why/index.jsp

You people should really question who you're getting your information from.... whether or not it's just made up by people who are in the business of selling as much oil as they can, or people with no agenda.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:27 PM

depending on how much room you have for leverage...i think these work the best.

Old 08-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (MikeRotch)

i saw my friend try the screw driver thing and the screw driver actually ripped through the filter without turning it.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (LB CRX)

damn..oil changes are a science on h-t.lol
Old 08-29-2002, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (JaeOne3345)

get one of these:

NOT one of these:

trust me

BTW, just kind of curious, do any of you torque your oil filters? if so to what? I always end up over tighning mine out of fear it will come off...
Old 08-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this? (jcnfh)

i work at a oil change place part time being a full time student etc etc. put the filter on as hard as u can with your hand. if it leaks u r a girly man. but maybe its just easier for me because i stand up under the car. honda's are the easiest cars to change oil on.

a simple band wrench works just fine. or filter pliers. or the cup u see. they all work. changing oil is not a science.

Quick Reply: Can't get the oil filter off! Is there a wrench for this?