Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken Valve Cover Bolts/Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Valve Cover Bolts/Engine Swap?

I snapped two valve cover bolts off below the surface in my stock 96 Civic DX.

I think I have screwed up the bolt removal process to the point that it's beyond salvaging, as I drilled off center on both of them.
I have a multi-part question to ask:

Assuming I cant put fix those two bolts, is an engine swap absolutely necessary or is there something I am overlooking in my options? (It was be nice to hear someone say that the valve cover can do without the 2 passenger side bolts, although I bet thats unlikely...)

I want this car as a daily driver, I could care less about the horsepower, in fact, higher MPGs are preferred (31mpg all around before)

So if I need to do an engine swap, should I just go for the straight swap to the stock 96 civic dx motor (auto transmission) or is there a better one I should go for? are there any good tutorials for pulling the motor? I read one saying it's easier to drop it out the bottom... fact or no?

obviously, the bolts can be salvaged, i would like to do so... but a little more information, the reason i was pulling the valve cover is because the car wouldnt start and it had fuel and spark, so i was checking the timing belt, which was fine.

Just looking for some opinions here...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken Valve Cover Bolts/Engine Swap?

Originally Posted by zx92027xz
I snapped two valve cover bolts off below the surface in my stock 96 Civic DX.

I think I have screwed up the bolt removal process to the point that it's beyond salvaging, as I drilled off center on both of them.
I have a multi-part question to ask:

Assuming I cant put fix those two bolts, is an engine swap absolutely necessary or is there something I am overlooking in my options? (It was be nice to hear someone say that the valve cover can do without the 2 passenger side bolts, although I bet thats unlikely...)

I want this car as a daily driver, I could care less about the horsepower, in fact, higher MPGs are preferred (31mpg all around before)

So if I need to do an engine swap, should I just go for the straight swap to the stock 96 civic dx motor (auto transmission) or is there a better one I should go for? are there any good tutorials for pulling the motor? I read one saying it's easier to drop it out the bottom... fact or no?

obviously, the bolts can be salvaged, i would like to do so... but a little more information, the reason i was pulling the valve cover is because the car wouldnt start and it had fuel and spark, so i was checking the timing belt, which was fine.

Just looking for some opinions here...
Can't tell you whether or not you can get the bolts out without seeing the extent of the damage you caused.

Worst case scernaio if you want to keep the engine, take it to a shop, they can remove them.