Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 06:18 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade?

Hm... after putting on EBC green brake pads, which are supposedly gentle on factory parts, my brake discs are f*cked. I was wondering why the brake peddle was pulsating on heavy breaking, and its because there are cracks on the discs.

Could anyone suggest a possible brake upgrade which can handle heavy braking.
Also, I've heard cross-drilled brakes seem to warp easily? True?
Old 08-21-2001, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake upgrade? (EG6-SiR)

stay stock...your rotors were probably fugged before the new pads were installed....
Old 08-21-2001, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you go thru the proper procedures to wear in the pads? That could have caused uneven seating of the pads and warping of the rotors. If your driving's warping your stock rotors, you should look into slightly larger rotors to help dissipate the heat better. If you want a low-priced brake upgrade, contact Brian at http://www.fastbrakes.com . He has an ITR/Prelude 11.1" brake upgrade. Basically, it uses an ITR/Prelude 11.1" rotor that's redrilled to 4x100PCD and ITR/Prelude/Accord-V6-Wagon calipers, which are larger than Civic/Integra calipers. Stick with factory, or factory-like, rotors. Drilling will crack with heat. Slotting is better, but wears pads quicker and isn't really needed unless your brakes get superhot like from constant lapping. Slots and holes aren't meant to cool the rotor. they're meant to help release the gasses produced by pads when the bonding material is boiled off. that's not too big of a prob now-a-days with more modern pads, but it still occurs to a degree. Try getting some Hawk HP-S pads. Those should be fine with stock rotors.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:53 PM
New User

Default Re: Brake upgrade? (bhcvc)

I was careful to wear in the new pads nice and easy. When changing the pads I got everything skimmed/regrinded so I thought they would have been in reasonable condition when the pads went on.
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 08-28-2001, 09:16 AM
New User

Sup, a friend of mine told me about this posting.

I've changed my stock pads from my ATR last month. After driving for about 1 week ( app. 1500KM ) I noticed that my discs showed burning spots. Next to that, when I'm driving with me car, and I suddenly brake ( from app. 200km/h to 80km/h ) my steering wheel is shaking like hell and the car isn't braking that hard as it is supposed to do. I went to my tuner, and he suggested to get my discs fixed. Like, straightened out ( or whatever the correct word is ) and drilling holes in it. The guys put the discs on the machine, and didn't notice anything weird at all. So we just cleaned the discs and put them back on. And again, after a couple of days, the problems came back. Right now, we're guessing that the EBC greenstuff pads should be the problem, and I recently ordered the Ferodo Red pads. Still waiting to get those things on, which will probably be next week.
If that isn't gonna work, I'll probably upgrade my car with AEM or AP Racing discs + pads. Atleast that should fix the problem.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers Marco
Old 08-28-2001, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake upgrade? (DaMasteR)

eeeyyyyy marco

did you got your hood fixed yet? ehhhh do'nt spill brakefluid on there.. hehehehe
just kidding..... damnn my english really needs some work....

Anyway NICE RIDE.......

[]\/[]azzelssssssss ISSUE ;-)
Old 08-28-2001, 10:23 PM
New User

Default Re: Brake upgrade?

rotors just warp and warp and warp......

i went out to autozone. which has guarantees on all their stuff. its awesome.....

you can get OE rotors with a two year warranty......as soon as they warp go back and get new rotors......you will only spend the 45 per every 2 years.

their brake pads are lifetime guarantee....performance friction
Old 08-29-2001, 07:50 AM
New User

Default Re: Brake upgrade? (Dusty)

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I dont think you're meant to cross drill standard rotors...?
Old 08-29-2001, 12:11 PM
New User

Sup Issue. Heh *sigh* It's a small world
I got my hood painted over yep, incl. my front bumpers and stuff. No more scratches due to flying **** on the highway

Cheerio
Old 08-29-2001, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Brake upgrade? (hardcorehonda)

If you are going to machine your rotors you must do it on the car- there will be slight variations in the hub face and back of the rotor from rust and this will not allow you to get the rotor back on perfectly flat. This will give you a vibration. If you install new rotors- be sure to clean off all the rust from the hub face. I use a die grinder with a 3M pad. Your best bet is to go with bigger brakes.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake upgrade? (DaMasteR)

Does **** fly??? (maybe robertjan's RIDE) hehehe
I never hit any flying **** on the highway.
AHHHH maybe it's because i Can't drive 150Mph hehehehe

OK....... peace!!!!! issue