Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brake rotor screws, WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake rotor screws, WTF?

I am trying to get these brake rotor screws out, I got a manual impact driver with the handle set to the left for counterclockwise and am whacking the **** out of it with a hammer and all it is doing is digging the screw driver bit into the screw, its in there pretty deep now.. I thought it was suppose to turn as you whack it with a hammer??.. but it isn't moving at all. I even sprayed down the screws with PB blaster and still nothing but it just going further into the screw, so I tryed to just turn it with a rachet but the screw wont budge, it turn the whole rotor but it won't break the screw loose..

Whats the deal here am I using this thing wrong or something? why isn't it turning the screw? Is this impact driver just a peice of crap? (its not the craftsman one, it was out of stock)..
Old 06-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: brake rotor screws, WTF? (93CamaroLT1)

Try using a chissel or flat head screw driver. Tap on it with a hammer in the grooves.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:19 PM

It's hard to explain, but you basically have to prime the impact screwdriver and hold it tight as if you're trying to turn the screw out. Once you whack it with the hammer, it should push the screw and pop it right out. The best way to figure out how to hold it properly is to push down on it and see which way it turns when pressed, and hold it accordingly. Probably not very clear instructions, but HTH anyway.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotor screws, WTF? (dynamo)

Still kindof confused, at first I tryed to just hold the impact driver on the screw with it set to go left and used the hammer to compress the spring and that did nothing but slowly drove the bit into in the head of the screw so then I tryed pushing down on the impact driver as much as possible with it still set to go left so that the spring was fully compressed before I even hit it with the hammer and whacked the **** out of it like that and the bit would not turn at all.. I dont get it..
Old 06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotor screws, WTF? (dynamo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dynamo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The best way to figure out how to hold it properly is to push down on it and see which way it turns when pressed</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't turn at all once I push down on it.. Well the handle will turn the opposite direction to set left or right, but the actual bit doesn't move
Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Darth ModerVader

If the driver isn't turning when you compress it, then there is a problem with your impact driver. At this point, you may simply want to consider drilling out the screws of they're badly damaged.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: brake rotor screws, WTF? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the driver isn't turning when you compress it, then there is a problem with your impact driver. At this point, you may simply want to consider drilling out the screws of they're badly damaged. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the driver suppose to click over to the left when soon as you compress the spring? the heads on the screws have a really deep hole when the bit goes but besides that they are fine.. I plan on just throwing them out and not using them for the new rotors because they are a pain in the *** and not really even neccessary..
Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: brake rotor screws, WTF? (Padawan)

Drill them out, they don't serve a purpose anyhow. After all the **** they give me, I don't even try to take them out anymore, I just go straight for the titanium bits and get it done.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: brake rotor screws, WTF? (Archidictus)

do what slamaccord said, thats what i had to do and it worked fine. you dont need them so u dont have to put them back in, there only there for the assembly line when the car is getting put to gether so nothing falls off while installing the parts.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:54 AM

those bolts are an *** to get out, drill the crap out of them
Old 06-08-2006, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phyz)

drill them or use a grinder if you are replacing the rotors anyway. they are right you don't need them
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 AM

Default Re: (deckster333)

what i did was hold the screwdriver bit in between my fingers with one hand and whack the bit hard about 5 times with a hammer (in my right hand). this broke up the rust enough to use a manual screwdriver to unscrew the pesky screws... good luck
Old 06-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I use my impact driver, this is basically what I do...

1) Fit an appropriately sized bit into the driver - it needs to fit the screw tightly, without any left/right play.
2) Twist the driver HARD in the direction I want the screw to move
3) With that constant pressure, whack the driver with the hammer
4) Repeat 2-&gt;3 as necessary

If you don't keep up that constant high twisting pressure, the driver is just going to flop back to neutral and use the force to drive the bit deeper into the screw.

I did have one screw that wouldn't ^&*(@&*($@# come out no matter what I did, so I bought some hardened (colbalt something I think - not sure it's been a couple years) bits and slowly drilled it out. Those are hardened metal screws, so you can't force the drill into the metal - you should apply light pressure and let the bit slowly work it's way through the screw. It'll take a while but you should see slow, constant progress. If you push too hard you'll make quick progress for a little while - until your bit's edges get dull. Then the fun starts.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hate those f'n screws. those and crank pulley bolts have always been a bitch for me. it's like honda has godzilla torque those in. drill the rotor screws. if anyone has tricks for crank pulley bolts, let me know. i've got one now that i've p b blasted, beat with hammer, torched then held my electric impact on it five minutes at a time with no budge. got so pissed, wanted to put a 6' breaker bar on it but if i snapped the head off, i'd be f'd. i need a beer.