Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brake pelal slowly goes to floor with a/c on when at stop lights.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pelal slowly goes to floor with a/c on when at stop lights.

Only when the A/C is on, so is it a vacume issue? I figured that would be the only thing it could be. Also................

My a/c needs service and isn't very cold right now. This is my first car with a/c. I'm told when it does not get cold, it's most likely a leak in the "high side" of the a/c system. That little bit of info is over my head, but could that leak be cuaseing this to happen? Help me out here guys and gals. Throw me a bone.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:31 PM
NooB

Default Re: brake pelal slowly goes to floor with a/c on when at stop lights. (brokenojoke)

Old 07-15-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: brake pelal slowly goes to floor with a/c on when at stop lights. (K SERIES)

MY bet would be on a vaccuum leak. Also keep in mind that if your breaks need to be bled then they will "soft" in a high heat enviornment.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: brake pelal slowly goes to floor with a/c on when at stop lights. (brokenojoke)

Sounds like a bad brake master cylinder to me
Old 07-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: brake pelal slowly goes to floor with a/c on when at stop lights. (egsi)

Wow.

Chances are that if you had a vacuum leak you would be throwing an O2 code that you are running too lean. Rule that one out.

If it was his master cylinder why is it only doing it when the ac is on? rule that one out.

As for your a/c, there could be a leak anywhere. One problem with this is that part of the system is called an accumulator dryer and it houses a dessicant bad which removes moisture from the system to help protect the compressor because as I'm sure you know liquids do not compress. When the dessicant bag is open to the air it saturates in a matter of seconds. It is always a good thing to replace if you fix a leak in your ac.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: brake pelal slowly goes to floor with a/c on when at stop lights. (JDM-97CX)

I was thinking of it more from a standpoint of ambient heat....not really from the whole AC thing. He's goign to be running the AC when its extra hot out plus its goign to put load on teh motor at idle.....which will not help the build up of vacuum in the master cylinder. Of course there's always the chance it could jsut be a leaky secondary cup seal.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:30 PM

A vacuum leak would have the opposite effect, it would be harder to push the brakes since it would take away from the vacuum assist for the brakes.
The a/c could be a number of things, its probably a leak. I'd check around the condensor, look for sticky tar like stuff stuck to the fins. A/c systems have a small amount of oil in them so look for it around fittings as well.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: (hplssone)

Air in the brake system could cause it.....the hotter it is outside the worse the problem would get. Thats my opinion.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: (xEnderx)

It was the M/C. Replaced with known good unit and all is well.....

Thanks guys.