Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blizzak MZ-02's... down to wear bars after 3 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blizzak MZ-02's... down to wear bars after 3 weeks?

Ok, just bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-02's (last year's ice-gripper model, on sale at les schwabb locally) about 3 weeks ago.

Lately I've been noticing that my car hydroplanes really easily on the highway. Just by an off chance, I glanced at my practically brand new blizzaks today on the front of my car, and they're worn all the way down to the tread bars already.

I know most snow tires are made up of a softer compound so they grip better, but this is crazy... 3 weeks, I'm dead serious. I've had them for three weeks and they are worn to the tread wear bars. I haven't even put 700 miles on them yet.

Of course, my car is lowered... I have the skunk2 camber kit, and I just raised the car a bit for winter before I put the tires on, and also took it in for an alignment just after. The guy at les schwabb told me everything was still in spec and they made some minor tweaks, but didn't charge me.

What gives? The rears look alright, but the fronts are down to the wear bars. No burn-outs for me or anything, just normal driving... I think the only time the tires have broken loose was in the snow or ice, I haven't purposey hot-rodded them or anything. The alignment tech says my car is within spec, so I hardly think it could be bad toe wear or camber wear (the tires are worn evenly all the way across..)

Is the MZ-02 just a shitty tire, or what?

Old 12-20-2002, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Blizzak MZ-02's... down to wear bars after 3 weeks? (M-EJ1)

go to another aligment shop and let them check the fronts then again and make any adjustment. if its worn very evenly throught out then its could be that you're running too much toe in or out. but not to warrant wearing the tires that far.

not sure on their warranty but i would talk to the BS peeps.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:48 PM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blizzak MZ-02's... down to wear bars after 3 weeks? (M-EJ1)

Is the MZ-02 just a shitty tire, or what?
nope, something is wrong (alignment) with your car or you like to drive really fast on them..... my wifes car is on the 4th (yes, 4th season) on her mz02's she has over 30k on them. i will most def need a new set after this year, but they actually handle better due to less tread depth (less squirm) good tire, i will buy it again. this is on a stock 99 si. i would try an alignment, then take it from there. good luck.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blizzak MZ-02's... down to wear bars after 3 weeks? (rodney)

Like I said before, no hot rodding, just normal driving. I commute 20 minutes each way to work in the morning.

I've already HAD an alignment though... it's within spec according to Mr. Les Schwabb employee...

Then again, maybe it's not, or maybe something else is wrong. The past few weeks I've been noticing an increasing tendency for the car to wander on the highway at higher speeds, as well as a really bad hydroplaning problem (probably due to almost bald tires though). It feels like the car needs constant attention to keep it going straight... and at times it also feels like.. I'm turning the wheel but the car isn't responding.. For example, I make a lane change, and go to correct the steer back to go straight, but the car keeps veering to the side, so I jerk the wheel more, and the car squirms and dashes all over the road.

So, after all that... my conclusion is that either the les scwhabb guy is lying to me, or there's something else wrong.

Tie rod ends? Ball joints? bushings? Where do I start looking? I think I'm going to make this a seperate thread..

[Modified by M-EJ1, 8:04 PM 12/20/2002]