Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

big gas tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big gas tank problem

so i had a shop put a stereo in my car about 4 years ago when i was young and dumb....this week i completely gutted the car bc im rwiring it and redoing the inside. well i take out the stero and the rear seats and com to find that they used a self tapping hole about 4 inches back of where the plate is to cover the gas pump. i took the screw out and sniffed the hole and just ike i feared i could smell gas.....unreal they used a selftapping screw and put a whole in my gas tank.....

well i have 2 questions, first is the metal that is immediately accessable from the inside of the car the top of the gas tank...or is it just part of the chasis and the gas tank has another top to it underneath? i want to know this bc i need to know if i need to drop the tank and close it from the inside of the tank or if i just can seal it from inside the car?

also what would be good to used to seal this whole...i need a compound that wont break down from the gas like hondabond which says not to use it around gas.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: big gas tank problem (bleedblue94)

You can get speacialty glues and compounds to patch gas tanks, they don't last forvever but seeing as this is top of the tank it should do okay.

Canadian Tire in Canada has them, I don't know where you would go about getting them in NY. Generic auto parts store should have it.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big gas tank problem (old man neri)

do you know if the interior of the car under where the rear seats are serves as the top of the tank....or if there is another part below it? just want to know if i can seal this from the outside of the tank (inside the car) or if im going to have to drop the tank?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In every car I have seen the gas tank is a self contained revovable unit. The seats do not mount to the gas tank.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleedblue94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know if the interior of the car under where the rear seats are serves as the top of the tank....or if there is another part below it? just want to know if i can seal this from the outside of the tank (inside the car) or if im going to have to drop the tank?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not the top of the tank! The gas tank is a complete unit which you can drop from underneath the car.
The only reason you can see it from inside is so you have access to the fuel pump without dropping the tank
Old 04-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big gas tank problem (wheelmanbg)

well do you know how far down the top of the tank is from the chasis of the car where the seats go in....the screw i took out was about 3 inches long and when i sniff the hole i def smell gas.....do i need to buy a new tank now???
Old 04-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No. I don't think u need a new tank but u definitely need to patch it.

Like somebody mentioned, get one of those gas tank patch kits, drop the tank and put it on. That should fix it.
You probably don't even need to completely drop the tank, just loosen the straps enough to where you can get that patch on there...
Old 04-15-2006, 05:27 PM

JB WELD.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know how much of a gao there is between the top of the gas tank and the floor board
Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone know?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:46 PM

you wont be getting to the top of the tank without droping it. There is no 'lower it some' either. the straps that hold it are either on or off. That being said, its actually not so hard to drop the tank. The pain is the weight of the tank. so being thats its a small hole (and not a new hole at that), i suggest waiting untill your gas light comes on so the tank isnt so heavy. (not sure if your car is so gutted you cant drive it or what) Either way you go about that, the steps are to remove the access panel thats under the seat and disconnect the fuel lines going to the tank. Next remove the cover that hides your fuel filling pipe (plastic cover) and then remove the couple connections that are below the filler pipe that join it to the tank (its easier to understand when your looking at it) after all that, remove the bolts that hold the straps on, there is 1 for each on the front side of the gas tank. Remember this will not be a clean job, theres tons of dirt in that area but its not so hard to do it. After its out, just patch and reinstall

Good luck, hope it helps
-Rich

PS if you cant figure it out, I can give you some more info from the helms manual.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: big gas tank problem (rbanke)

im sure i can figure t oout....but any pics you can post would be apprecitaed