Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best way to flush coolant system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to flush coolant system?

i am in need of a coolant system flush and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to flush out the whole system not just the radiator.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to flush coolant system?

Take the drain plug outa the bottom of your Half Sized Radiator and drain all the water. put the drain plug back on and fill the radiator and start the engine and let it run untill your thermostat opens and turn your heater on full blast. turn off vehicle and drain the radiator again and repeat steps untill clean water comes out of the radiator after being ran for 10 minutes. if you dont want this to take long buy one bottle of radiator flush for $4 bux and put in the radiator and fill the rest with water and it works magics. Good luck.

Read the direction on the radiator flush bottle, And once it is clean drain everything and fill with 50/50 antifreeze so no rust grows.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 PM

cool do i just use a garden hose or should i use distilled water
Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Garden Hose is fine.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 PM

once i am done flushing it out should i worry about the extra water still left in the block and such, as i live in ohio and i dont want the mixture to be too low and freeze from the extra water still in the block
Old 04-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no it will all come out, if any gets left in the block it is a very little. so little it wont affect the mixture. get the Preston 50/50.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM

not true..there will be alot left in the block ,hoses and heater core...theres a plug on the front of ur block to the left of the exhaust manifold that is a 19mm head i think..It will drain ur block completley..but ill tell u right now that the radiator flush **** u buy at the parts stores doesnt work worth a ****....if u wanna do it right buy a bg kit and pull the thermostat out and do it right.....
Old 04-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jasons9594
not true..there will be alot left in the block ,hoses and heater core...theres a plug on the front of ur block to the left of the exhaust manifold that is a 19mm head i think..It will drain ur block completley..but ill tell u right now that the radiator flush **** u buy at the parts stores doesnt work worth a ****....if u wanna do it right buy a bg kit and pull the thermostat out and do it right.....
what is a bg kit? i thought the bolt was in the back near the oil filter??or at least that is what the helms said i dunno havent climbed under to look.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by justinwebb
what is a bg kit? i thought the bolt was in the back near the oil filter??or at least that is what the helms said i dunno havent climbed under to look.
bg is a brand (part# 540/546) if not sold in ur area then go to a repair shop and buy a kit from them it should have 2 cans or bottles with it....and i have a d-series a h-series and a b-series and the plug is on the front of everyone of them..its just a little to the right of the block staming and down about 3 to 4 inch's
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theirs no reason to buy that kit unless you have major rust and build up. i mean MAJOR
Old 04-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
theirs no reason to buy that kit unless you have major rust and build up. i mean MAJOR
lmao r u serious well screw it then just waste ur money on the junk at the part stores and then in a couple months/years when its all rusted and gummed up it will be way cheaper to replace it all...then ull now its clean right?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what you do IF you want it done right. Take it to a reputable fast lube (ask around and see which places have a good reputation), and have them actually preform the service and flush it out. I work at a fast lube and we are well known for good work. It's all about building a reliable customer service standard that people can trust.

This is what we do for $89.95:

First we run a flush chemical through the system for roughly 20 minutes (allows time for the thermostat to open, thus circulating and cleaning not just your rad, but engine too).

Shut the car down, and perform the actual coolant exchange. We use a very expensive machine that removes 99% of your old gunk and puts in all new stuff.

After this is done we put in a rad sealant just in-case you may have a small leak, but it is essentially just an additive for the radiator.

This is how you properly flush the rad. The method of draining your coolant then running it and draining it takes too much time and you WILL not get all the old stuff. Plus about 95% of people who flush their rads do not do it on time and therefore have some buildup that you can't get rid of by just draining.

The biggest thing is most shops will offer warranty for their work, meaning if something goes wrong, they will fix it.

Just my two cents..

Last edited by SOHC_civic_si; 04-21-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SOHC_civic_si
This is what you do IF you want it done right. Take it to a reputable fast lube (ask around and see which places have a good reputation), and have them actually preform the service and flush it out. I work at a fast lube and we are well known for good work. It's all about building a reliable customer service standard that people can trust.

This is what we do for $89.95:

First we run a flush chemical through the system for roughly 20 minutes (allows time for the thermostat to open, thus circulating and cleaning not just your rad, but engine too).

Shut the car down, and perform the actual coolant exchange. We use a very expensive machine that removes 99% of your old gunk and puts in all new stuff.

After this is done we put in a rad sealant just in-case you may have a small leak, but it is essentially just an additive for the radiator.

This is how you properly flush the rad. The method of draining your coolant then running it and draining it takes too much time and you WILL not get all the old stuff. Plus about 95% of people who flush their rads do not do it on time and therefore have some buildup that you can't get rid of by just draining.

The biggest thing is most shops will offer warranty for their work, meaning if something goes wrong, they will fix it.

Just my two cents..
thank u....the cheap way never works...i am a service manager at a repair shop also and the part store stuff never works...
Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM

not looking to spend a ton just change out the fluid lol
Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$89.95 is a ton?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$90 is not a ton but it's too much for a coolant flush.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no it will all come out, if any gets left in the block it is a very little. so little it wont affect the mixture. get the Preston 50/50.
please explain to me why he needs to buy 50/50 mix.... it cost like 8 bucks for a hald gallon of water which he cn get at home for 23 cents. why not just buy a gallon of the good stuff and then if u need to do this all over again u still got a half gallon in the garag and it only cost abut 1 dollar more.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ HELL YA FOO!!!, thats way more then id wanna spend on any fluid flush when i can pay 20 and do it myself. thats 60 bux into my pocket and don't have to worry about someone else ****ing my ride up.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some people like me don't prefer mixing it ourselves and just wanna pour it in.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeh I would go with the bg flush system not just the two cans. they are the one who sells the machine the other guy is talking about. but I wouldnt let them but a bs sealer in there just for giggles....or even at all for that matter. sealer and stop leak doesnt know where and where not to seal or gunk up.

as for the block drain plug. there are more then one just the easiest one to get to is the one on the front of the block.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some people like me don't prefer mixing it ourselves and just wanna pour it in.
so u rather spend a hour draining your coolant over and over but not pouring in half a gallon then add water. I dont think a measuring cup is required....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would i be draining my coolant over and over? ill just flush it with **** from autozone then drain it and flush it with the water hose, then just pour 50/50 in.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do what u want its yo buck....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I never really had to flush a vehicle that has build up in it to bad. but if my **** was built up all nasty ya id do more than what i mentioned above. but my honda is clean and i keep up with my Routine Maintenance.