Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bent clutch fork?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bent clutch fork?

So recently I drove my car and the clutch pedal was very hard like a stage 4 (stock clutch) only drove it around the block, didn't think nothing of it. Next day I get in the car and it's the same thing, hard to press, so I check my resevior and it's almost empty.

No big deal right? I go and begin bleeding it and while my helper is pushing the pedal down I notice the whole slave is leaking, then shortly after fluid comes bursting out of the slave. Well both bolts on the slave have been stripped for 2 years....

Tried getting them off but one broke off into the tranny. Not wanting to deal with it i got it towed to a shop. There they first suggested a master cylinder as well of course I was like no I can just do that myself.... Then once the slave is done all of a sudden they say the master is leaking and won't build steady pressure on the pedal.

Ok so whatever I have them do that too, so now they wanna charge a whopping $599! That's for parts and labor.

Then guess what? Their like we just got done with the master cylinder, and the car wont go into gear (keep in mind I never have been to this place or seen my car in this state). But we 100% it's the clutch fork

And they're trying to convince me I need a whole new clutch kit because of the bent fork which maybe isnt too far fetched 176k on the stock one. But I know a bent or broken clutch fork is pretty rare... So what should I do? It's looking like a $1327 dollar bill, makes me wanna cry. Should I go up there and demand to see the broken clutch fork? Should I raise hell?

​​​​​​

Old 11-24-2016, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bent clutch fork?

Do you guys think in the event of me driving around the block while the resevior was dry it could've bent/broke the clutch fork? From my knowledge all that would do is cause air bubbles?

Or when the fluid bursted out while we were pumping the clutch bleeding the clutch it overloaded the hydrolic system and blow thru the master-slave-then clutch fork? That's their theory.

Searching on here most of the old schoolers never even seen a broken clutch fork on a Honda.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes the clutch fork can crack then bend, this causes poor or no clutch release. As it bends further, the clutch slave cylinder moves out farther, lowering the fluid in the reservoir. Eventually the piston comes all the way out of the slave, causing all the fluid to run out.

It was never a hydraulic problem at all though.

Last edited by mk378; 11-24-2016 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thanks mk for the speedy reply. You're always on point too.

So do you think I could've avoided the slave cylinder and master replacement by just dropping the tranny?

In my possession it seemed like the burst of fluid coming from the slave killed all of the seals. Especially since they said the O rings were destroyed on the master. So that could just answer my question?
Old 11-24-2016, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes if the problem had been recognized as a bent fork in the first place. But that is kind of an unusual problem.

At this point, having had the slave blow out, replace it. Replacing the master too isn't a bad idea, unless it's really new this kind of stress could be its last straw.