Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Battery light stays on, Cooling fan fuse blew, burning smell inside of car. Whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 AM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light stays on, Cooling fan fuse blew, burning smell inside of car. Whats wrong?

I just went to move my car from the street to a lot and when I got into the car I smelled something burning. Kinda smelled like burnt tires. I started the car and my battery light stays on. I drove it around the block and it drives fine. I parked it again and located the smell coming from the interior fuse box area. I checked some of the fuses and they weren't blown.

So I popped the hood and looked for any fuses and saw that the condenser fan fuse blew. But what is the burning smell from the inside of the car and why is the battery light on?

EDIT: Condenser fan fuse

Modified by SkoundrelUSA at 1:46 PM 3/15/2007
Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Battery light stays on, Cooling fan fuse blew, burning smell inside of car. Whats wrong? (Skoun

First thing that came to my mind about the battery light was the alternator.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah usually when the battery light comes on is because of the alternator. but sometimes it could be something else stupidly. haha i would replace the fuse and go from there.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Battery light stays on, Cooling fan fuse blew, burning smell inside of car. Whats wrong? (Skoun

Edit: It was condenser fan fuse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LowSlow93Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First thing that came to my mind about the battery light was the alternator. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But why the burning smell inside my car? Especially when its been sitting for a few hours
Old 03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats wires burning , look at the wires behind the fuse box
Old 03-15-2007, 09:56 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats wires burning , look at the wires behind the fuse box</TD></TR></TABLE>

any reason why it would burn though? or just some freak accident?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fuse should have went first, was it the proper sized fuse??
Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the fuse should have went first, was it the proper sized fuse??</TD></TR></TABLE>

It could've went first I have no idea for sure. Yeah it was a 20A.

And I haven't messed with any wiring or anything recently, except removing my main relay which does happen to be right by the fuse box...

I checked the wires on the relay plug though and they look fine and the car starts so I don't think thats the problem

Also: I don't have A/C...so this is weird.

Modified by SkoundrelUSA at 2:16 PM 3/15/2007
Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
cute little bastard

bump so I can drive home safely
Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you said you moved your main relay, make sure you didn't knick any of the wires that might of made your fuse blow out. just to prevent you from burning your interior harness, you should pm markdmb7676 cause i know he fried his interior harness but i forget what caused it.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:51 PM
cute little bastard

Ok so I looked a little further into it and I can smell the burning scent from my alternator. I guess the stench just seeped into the car.

I guess it is my alternator? Not sure how its literally frying though. I thought when they went bad they just died?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought they just went bad too but when my girlfriends old Cavaliers (sp?) alternator went, the car died out in the middle of driving...we tried jumping the car cause we didn't know what was wrong and the alternator began smoking and then literally caught on fire when the car was started again...so yea not cool and probably that's what you smell in the car...but as others stated make sure you check behind the fuse panel because in my friends old camaro his ECU itself caught on fire because of a shorted wire/fuse combo...fire and cars are not cool.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're smelling it coming from the alternator probably it's crapping out on you. plus you got that battery light on.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have a voltimeter, the car running with load should be reading around 14.5v.....if its around or less than 13.5, the car is not charging hence the battery light.....i think you just need to change the altenator considering the age of your car

malu