Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto-zone rotors any good?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-zone rotors any good?

I own a BMW and just got 99 civic for DD. I noticed when I hit brake steering wheels is shaking. So I think its rotors since car been sitting for a while.
I want to know which rotors are good for DD. I don;t what to spend too much money but want decent rotors.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Auto-zone rotors any good?

um autozone rotors are good i guess. I havent changed my rotors yet.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

I've used them and I have no issues with them.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought their cheaper valucraft rotors and their slightly more expensive duralast pads. Seem fine to me.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Go for it and save yourself a few bucks.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are the best dd rotors out there for an ek?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

might wanna price out rotors at the dealership, may not be much difference....idk. get decent pads though, cheap ones tend to make noise.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Autozone or Advance Auto rotors are the same no difference in quality.

Get yourself a good set of Ceramic brake pads and your brakes will last plus less warpage, they have that Duralast gold which is ceramic.

What ever you do stay away from those cheap semi-metallic brake pads and don't even listen if someone says to get metallic pads.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have seen a brembo blank rotor for like 25$ on a site. Idk if that was a good deal or not
Old 11-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can get a lifetime warranty at autozone. No?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blanks are blanks. dont let anyone try and tell you you need brembo blanks or slotted/cross drilled rotors. ive been using autozone rotors for years now and have no complaints.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fastrxu
You can get a lifetime warranty at autozone. No?
If you get their premium duralast rotors you should get a 3 yr warranty or so, I don't think Autozone offers lifetime warranty on rotors. On the other hand advanced autoparts offers lifetime warranty on some of their rotors. I suggest you check on their website. I bought my blank rotors recently online, I ended up buying EBC blank rotors for a good deal online since even Autozone's cheap brands couldn't compare to the price I bought my EBC rotors.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ incorrect information. everything autozone sells has a warranty, sometimes you just have to ask for it. the valucraft rotors (uber cheap ones with the yellow and black label) that im running on my eg coupe have a lifetime warranty, but then again, the pads come with a warranty also. just ask for it, normally they opt to not tell you because theyre losing money.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my autozone rotors are better than my brembo blanks ever were
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no problems with my autozone rotors, i used decent pads though
Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Resurface the rotors and throw some new pads on there. If it was my DD and call it a day if your going cheap that is. Plus take a look at it if it wears uneven then you got a problem...
Old 11-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
^^ incorrect information. everything autozone sells has a warranty, sometimes you just have to ask for it. the valucraft rotors (uber cheap ones with the yellow and black label) that im running on my eg coupe have a lifetime warranty, but then again, the pads come with a warranty also. just ask for it, normally they opt to not tell you because theyre losing money.
You are wrong buddy! I never said they do not have ANY warranty. I said they offer 1 2 3 yr warranties depending on the brand. go to their website and look up rotors for your car. According for my Sol, the duralast gold offer three year warranty, regular duralast 2 year, and valuecraft 1 year. On the other hand Advanced offers lifetime warranty on their Wagner rotors, and 90 day warranty on beck/arnley, and 2 years in their wearevers. Either way I would not pay 24.99 for each rotor for a brand called valuecraft or wearever, etc. I say find a decent brand for brakes, do not go cheap in this department.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gen2tegboi
You are wrong buddy! I never said they do not have ANY warranty. I said they offer 1 2 3 yr warranties depending on the brand. go to their website and look up rotors for your car. According for my Sol, the duralast gold offer three year warranty, regular duralast 2 year, and valuecraft 1 year. On the other hand Advanced offers lifetime warranty on their Wagner rotors, and 90 day warranty on beck/arnley, and 2 years in their wearevers. Either way I would not pay 24.99 for each rotor for a brand called valuecraft or wearever, etc. I say find a decent brand for brakes, do not go cheap in this department.
well put. brakes and tires are 2 places not to go cheap. tires especially, being the only part of the car that touches the road.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 AM

Hope everyone knows why the rotors are so cheap? Its called supply and demand not because it's cheaply made and junk.

Since so many Honda parts are interchangeable the demand is there and the price gets driven down where most of us pay only $24.99 a rotor. It's not because that its made of cheap parts, it's because so many cars utilize it.

Same thing with tires, which ever is the popular size that size would be cheaper then others and just because it's cheaper does not mean it's no good.

Names are just names, just because the name sounds weird does not mean anything. For example BackYardSpecial which everyone knows and yet everyone wants their ****.

I use wearever rotors on my turbo hatch and let me tell you, them bad boys stop good because I am using Akibono ceramic pads. Rotors are for a Lude and only cost me yes $24.99 each.....so please don't knock it.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 AM

I have personally used O'Rielly rotors (I know you didn't ask this, it is just for a point of reference) that were only 18.00 apiece. I really couldn't believe that they could manufacture, box, ship, and stock them for that low of a cost, but they did. The rotors have been on the car and used now for over two years with no problems. They were made in China. In my experience the two killers for rotors are incorrectly torquing the lug nuts, that is, not to spec and not in a cross pattern, and the car sitting for long periods of time. If you have a daily driver my Chinese rotors have worked flawlessly with no chatter even when binding down from high speeds. Good luck.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I just picked up some Wagner rotors at Partsource (in Canada - similar to Advance Auto). Read some good reviews on Wagner products - seem like a reputable brand name. 3 yr warranty from Partsource - meh. They were on sale, too.

As I'm removing them from the trunk, I see: "Made in China". *&^*$%-ing hell, I would have really liked to buy some Made-in-North-America or Europe or Australia or even Mexico .... or wherever place that I don't associate with cheap, cheap steel and metalworks. And cheap dollar-store products. And a terrible environmental/pollution record.

I would have paid a nice premium dependent on the country of manufacture. Lowest price isn't always the deciding factor in my book. Anyone know which rotors are not made in China? For future reference....
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my Brembos from Amazon, I had replaced my bent stock Honda rotors with a pair from Car Quest, they lasted 4,000 miles and one warped, never again! They said the warranty only covered mfg defects, I dont race the car, its my commuter car! The Brembos are much better, much heavier though but seem to be a better rotor. I also bought 2 sets of PBR drums for the rear from Auto Parts Warehouse, NEVER again, they are TRASH, both sets were warped out of the box. Ive since installed Brembo drums and no more shimmies or shakes! Just my .02 Now for my MX5 race car Ive had great luck with Napa rotors, several track days running Hawk pads and they are in great shape, no warpage or wear at all.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it is your daily then the autozone rotor's fine. i used them many different times on a few cars and they do the job. i do recommend not getting the "cheapest" pad because they are made crappy. here in texas i got the duralast gold with my autozone rotor's and i got lifetime warranty on both as long i own the car ^_^
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also autozone duralast pads have a lifetime exchange, I think their floor jack have 1 year or maybe lifetime too, not sure.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you seriously just bump a 4 year old thread? Do us all a favor and don't do that again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto-zone rotors any good?