Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone ever installed rally armor mud flaps on a ek?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever installed rally armor mud flaps on a ek?

I was going to go with oem splash guards for my car, but seeing as I will be heading back to school soon and will be doing alot of driving across the mountains, I wanted something bigger to protect during this winter season. I received a universal set of rally armor mud flaps yesterday which I trimmed down, I just wanted to know if anyone has already done this to their civic and possibly has a diy for it so I can do it right with the right set of hardware.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Anyone ever installed rally armor mud flaps on a ek?

I was thinking about doin this too because of the Utah winters. Did you ever put get yours on? And if so what mounting hardware did you use.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a set for his Mazda...I think they'll look pretty ridiculous on a Civic. OEM mudflaps work great for me, I don't see how Rally Armor ones will work any better
Old 12-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Trial User

I just went ahead with a universal set over OEM splash guards. No one had a specific DIY for this so I went ahead and experimented.... Went I got the set of the mud flaps they were extremely wide so I positioned it in the wheel well where I would want it to sit outside of the well, and used a whiteout pen to make a line on the mud flaps and used a sharp exacto knife to cut the mud flap down so it would fit in the front wells. I did the same for the back, I cut it down to the width of the tire so they wouldn't look crazy wide since its not a subaru after all.... Mounting was alot easier than I thought. I just went to a local hardware store and picked up screws with built-in large washers. I used about 3-4 per mud flap and it holds just fine. The biggest thing you'll run into is trying to mount it perfectly straight and level... that took the longest and provides a challenge. The ones in the rear can only hang so low due to the amount of screw points you have back there. If I decide to drop them down lower to the ground, I'll have to get a piece of sheet metal to mount so the mud flap will have something to hold into if you want it lower. Like I said this wasn't a hard project; just time consuming trying to measure, hold it steady while your attaching it to the car, and the time spent making sure their mounted to the car straight and level.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ek_253
I just went ahead with a universal set over OEM splash guards. No one had a specific DIY for this so I went ahead and experimented.... Went I got the set of the mud flaps they were extremely wide so I positioned it in the wheel well where I would want it to sit outside of the well, and used a whiteout pen to make a line on the mud flaps and used a sharp exacto knife to cut the mud flap down so it would fit in the front wells. I did the same for the back, I cut it down to the width of the tire so they wouldn't look crazy wide since its not a subaru after all.... Mounting was alot easier than I thought. I just went to a local hardware store and picked up screws with built-in large washers. I used about 3-4 per mud flap and it holds just fine. The biggest thing you'll run into is trying to mount it perfectly straight and level... that took the longest and provides a challenge. The ones in the rear can only hang so low due to the amount of screw points you have back there. If I decide to drop them down lower to the ground, I'll have to get a piece of sheet metal to mount so the mud flap will have something to hold into if you want it lower. Like I said this wasn't a hard project; just time consuming trying to measure, hold it steady while your attaching it to the car, and the time spent making sure their mounted to the car straight and level.
All of this nearly useless without pics for anyone contemplating doing this (of which I am not one).
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would love to find a set of factory flaps for my del sol....reasonable!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post pics up!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Trial User

yeah lets see some pics yo...i jus got my flaps today...bought the universal basics cuz they were cheap 18.39 shipped...hopefully ill get some time to get them done this weekend...ill post pics when i get em on