Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Swap question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Swap question

Okay, heres the deal i have a 95 civic EX coupe and I am going to be swapping a motor soon....and i was wondering what to do in order to keep it as a daily driver but still be able to take it to the track and put down decent numbers & also have reliable horsepower for driving around town, no autox. I have to keep the A/C cuz summers in texas are a bitch....anyways, im lookin to sepnd between $3,000 and $4,000 on the swap, misc. parts and installation if me and my buddy cant do it ourselves (but im sure we would be able to) my thoughts were to either get an H22, LS/Vtec, or B20/Vtec. I know that the LS/Vtec will be the most "direct" swap out of these choices, but i also know that the other swaps will make more power and might even cost less.

Are there any swaps that i would be able to use the axles from my car for the beginning to get me going and then upgrade?? I know that the H22 wont but i wasnt sure about the LS/Vtec swap.

I was ust thinking about buying the GSR Long-block or even the H22 long-block and then buying the axles, tranny, ECU and other misc. parts to get my car running, but i just wasnt sure if that would be a better buy than the complete swap.

I was also thinking that I could just buy the LS swap for now and hen save some more again and get a VTEC head and have my LS/Vtec, or is better to do the whole hybrid at once. If it is better to do the whole swap at once but will cost more, then i would just save for it and do it all at once and save time and effort.

I was also planning on turboin the motor down the road also...so hopefully y'all can help me out...please.

I was lookig at the prices on hmotorsonline.com and that is probably where i would get the motor from....so if anyone can help me out with a good opinion wheter from personal experience or a friend who has one, please let me know, i would really appreciate it. I have searched, but cant get a good overall opinion from everyone elses choices because they are all different in what they want it for. thanks!

p.s. if i left out any details that might help in giving me an opinion, then ask and i will let you know, or you can email me any and all info. too. either way. thanks!

[Modified by cash459, 10:35 PM 2/3/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Another Swap question (cash459)

Bump.....anyone???
Old 02-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how bout some cliffs notes? im not reading all that
Old 02-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Swap question (Spoon Hybrid)

if you are going to boost i say just go w/ the ls swap. you can always go ls/vtec down the road. i like the h22, but it is harder to install and you will need to upgrade your stock suspension if you haven't already. either motor will allow you to keep ac, you will need an ac mount that i think hasport sells for the h22 though.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Another Swap question (96coupe)

you dont want to keep your stock axels they will break on a more powerful engine.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Another Swap question (purek9hybrid)

well, i have already upgraded my suspension to some ground control coilovers, and tokico blues, and strut bars for stiffening. I appreciate all the help, and would really like to hear some other opinions form people. thanks guys!!
Old 02-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for that kinda money you are lookin at an ls or b16 swap. Ls/vtec and crvtec gets to be alot of money once you build it CORRECTLY. Personally, i'd go with the b16 if your interests are to do a frank motor down the line. That way you have a great head and tranny to use. I think that is my personal plan anyways... get a b16 be good for now, then build a b20 block after i graduate and finally put the b16 head/tranny and any other bolt on goodies on to the new beast motor. Ive worked out those numbers for myself and that should be within your price range. Just my $.02 however.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Another Swap question (BigZ88)

thanks for the help and feedback...i really appreciate it guys...im hoping to get as much info as I can, before I blow my money on something that i am going to regret....thanks again!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:21 PM

okay...i have changed my mind, and i think that i am going to go ahead and go with a B18C1 instead of all those others......but htanks for the help everyone
Old 02-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a question...
sorry about hijacking your thread...
anyways, what would you rather get...
a b18c1 with 96 spec itr tranny or a complete itr swap?
im planning on putting these into the gsr
1. skunk2 stage 2 cams, cam gear, and valvetrain
2. ctr pistons and itr crank and rods
if i went with the itr swap, im planning on just putting the skunk2 stage 2 cams, cam gear, and valvetrain in it and then reselling the itr cams, valvetrain, and cam gear.
first question...
1. which set-up would make more power (just going n/a)
2. which set-up would be cheaper (take into consideration the resell of the old cams, etc from either motors)
im leaning towards the itr swap just because i can almost make back as much money as im spending on the cams, etc. but tell me what you guys think. thanks
Old 02-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Another Swap question (pennies_hatchie)

All else being equal, the ITR swap will make more power, and will do a better job of putting it to the ground. ITR engine has higher compression and a better intake manifold (IMO). ITR trans. has LSD which will help you launch better at the strip, or pull harder out of a corner if you auto-x.

I reread your post-CTR pistons in the GSR motor and ITR trans for the GSR. With that setup, the GSR would put out more power.

[Modified by b19coupe, 6:13 PM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Another Swap question (pennies_hatchie)

its cool.....no harm done, most everyone thats posting in here knows what they are talking about or are looking for some answers that they may have but havent asked yet ......it helps me out too, cuz I want to get the most out of a GSR engine .....i would get the ITR engine, but i dont think that I could afford it ....its almost $1500 more, and that means a lot longer for saving, or a much bigger loan.. goodluck with your swap, and let us know what happens.....