Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket alarm deactivation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket alarm deactivation?

Hi everyone, this may sounds dumb but I need a quick answer for it. I have a 99 civic ex 4 doors which the previous owner has installed the keyless remote with the alarm system with it from Fry's electronics store in Atlanta,Georgia . My problem is after replacing the battery, as soon as I connect the battery back to my car, the alarm will goes on. Even worse is it seems not to respond to my remote controller. Any idea to solve this problem or deactivate the alarm system? I need to drive my car to work. Thanks for all helps.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket alarm deactivation?

Originally Posted by mars
Hi everyone, this may sounds dumb but I need a quick answer for it. I have a 99 civic ex 4 doors which the previous owner has installed the keyless remote with the alarm system with it from Fry's electronics store in Atlanta,Georgia . My problem is after replacing the battery, as soon as I connect the battery back to my car, the alarm will goes on. Even worse is it seems not to respond to my remote controller. Any idea to solve this problem or deactivate the alarm system? I need to drive my car to work. Thanks for all helps.
If you have a manual or can find one for the alarm you should be able to locate the "valet switch" if there is one. Also, check the battery in your remote. Furthermore, if you can find/have a manual see if there is a wiring diagram and you should be able to figure out the power and sending cables from there but that can get tricky depending on the system.

Just FYI if this is an aftermarket alarm it should be posted in the Audio / Security / Video area...not trying to be a d-bag but you might get a quicker response and one better than mine there. Hope I can at least get you started on the right path.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 AM

Thanks infinititypro12. I need to see if I have the manual at home and double check the remote. Do you think if I call to the store would help? Sorry to post in the wrong section. Could someone moves it to the right section.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turn ignition to the on position with your key and press and hold the valet switch in untill alarm stops going off. You will have to locate the valet switch first, check in the driver kick panel or even the LED light for the alarm can act as a valet switch on some alarms.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey no problem, mind you I am no expert, I've just dealt with a lot of crap with my car. I'm actually dealing with my Viper right now and it came with the car and no manual, ha ha.

I would e-mail frys or take it to a shop that does alarm systems, not best buy FYI but and actual shop. They usually specialize in stero systems as well. Frys might and might not help, they could probably tell you where to get the manaual, or you can google it if you can find/know the type and make of the alarm. It never hurts to try but I would try to call an installation place first.

A mod could move this but it usually isn't hella important. I'd say if you are unable to come up with anything in the next few weeks just head over to the ASV. It doesn't bother me but there are those that frequent that area that might not in this area.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:09 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, valet switch + key does it on mine. Just put the key in and hold down the button.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone. I don't think I will have the manual and don't know what type of alarm system is on my car. But I do know that there is a little blue light flashing when the system is on. Is there any way to find the valet switch without having the manual? I will check more when I got home.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, there's no set location for the valet, and it won't tell you in the manual either because the location can vary based on the car and wherever the installer wanted to put it.

Most likely, it will be under the dash within easy reach of the driver and probably not very well hidden. That's where shops seem to like to put them. Sometimes it may be in the glovebox or something.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its common for the alarms to 'trip' when the battery power is removed for X amount of time, since a car jacker might try to unhook the battery to reset the alarm. It generally looses its remote/fob memory, so you have to first disable it with the switch, then re-establish the remote. If you didn't get a manual or model # for the alarm, the previous owner failed big time.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:55 AM

I Got it. All the information are really helpful. Thanks a lot.