Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 EK w/ GSR Swap CRAZY ISSUE!!!!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 EK w/ GSR Swap CRAZY ISSUE!!!!!! HELP!!!

Alright I need some information and need it quickly. Here are the specs of my car:

1999 EK
GSR Swap (Unsure on mileage. Said to be just over 100k)

Here is the problem:

Car has been running GREAT! Not burning an ounce of oil and runs really strong. I was driving down the interstate about two or three months ago and while cruising at 65 or 70 I got a jerk out of the motor. It felt like the motor just kicked really hard. It only did this once and it drove fine the rest of the ride home. This would happen randomly over the last two months, not very often. Maybe like once every two weeks.

Well this morning on the way into work it did it once and then a few seconds later it started to continually do it to the point where I couldn't drive because the motor was continuously kicking and jerking the car. When I pushed the clutch in it would stop, but I would have to rev the motor to keep it from dieing. I was able to make it to a gas station with all the jerking going on and the car died again as I pulled in. I started it up and tried to let it idle, but it would die. When I did start it up the main relay would click like crazy. Once the car died again I opened the hood and looked under it and everything appears fine, other than the distributor was making a clicking noise. I sat for a few minutes started it up and it idled fine and I drove the extra 20 miles to work with no issues at all.

So the symptoms are:

Crazy jerking while cruising
Dies out if not revving
Clicking relay after starting it up and trying to let it idle(which it ended up dieing)
Clicking noise coming from distributor after the motor died

The only CEL code that I know it was throwing was the primary O2, but that's just because I haven't had the primary deleted from the chip.

If you guys could help me get an idea of what the problem could be that would be awesome. This car is my DD and I need to have it running without issue tonight.

Thanks
Bwhit
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 EK w/ GSR Swap CRAZY ISSUE!!!!!! HELP!!!

Any thoughts at all? I did some searching and did not see anything.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try process of elimination and go for the o2 sensor then try another distributor to see if it makes the noise still.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The O2 sensor will never be fixed. I would have to wire the Primary O2 sensor in as a stock 99 EK only runs one O2 sensor near the cat. I have that O2 sensor plugged in. I just have to have the primary one deleted off the chip and that problem is solved. I am guessing the distributor is bad. I am going to grab one from Integra tonight and see if that solves the problem.

If anyone has had this issue or heard of someone having a similar issue help me out here. I am hoping I can make the 45 minute trip home from work tonight without breaking down.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bwhit12
The O2 sensor will never be fixed. I would have to wire the Primary O2 sensor in as a stock 99 EK only runs one O2 sensor near the cat. I have that O2 sensor plugged in. I just have to have the primary one deleted off the chip and that problem is solved. I am guessing the distributor is bad. I am going to grab one from Integra tonight and see if that solves the problem.

If anyone has had this issue or heard of someone having a similar issue help me out here. I am hoping I can make the 45 minute trip home from work tonight without breaking down.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try a new distributor, Then post back on the result.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Day 1 After Issue:

Alright. I was able to make it home last night with no issues at all. I'm not sure what the problem is. When I pulled over yesterday and the car died the only thing I touched were the wires running to the distributor, so after I got home I figured I would check the wires out. I pulled three off and on two of them the gold connector that goes in the distributor pulled off from the wire. I replaced these two wires with some extra wires I had. I think I am going to by new wires this weekend.

On top of this crazy jerkyness the car gave me I have been having idle issues. Normally I idle right at 1k. Sometimes it drops to 600-700 maybe and it idles rough. I am hoping the new wires will solve this problem also. The plugs were just changed less than 3k miles ago.

Thanks
Billy