Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please

hey honda techs......my 99ek was in an accident before i bought it and i installed new airbags on both sides. after i did, and reseted the ecu and evertyhing, the light is still on. i took it to honda but theyre charging me $47 just to reset the light and i have to leave it overnight. is there any other way i can reset the light. thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 02:56 PM

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (masterk0ns)

Yes you have to have the dealer reset the code. This can't be done by pulling the ecu fuse and wait ten seconds. Also, be patient you don't have to post this thing multiple times in different forums. Some HT people don't like this.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wrong. you can reset the light yourself. when i get home i can post up the tutorial on how to do it. i already did it on my friend's 98 civic and it worked.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (civicdxtyper)

thanks, please post
Old 02-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search for srs light, in archived topics, there are full instructions somewhere out there i know this, i searched
Old 02-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (beeseries)

thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Directions for erasing memory on SRS light
1st you need to either buy or make the "SCS Service Connector." I used a speaker harness for and older Honda which you can buy at a local stereo shop such as Circuit City or Best Buy, and cut the wires and looped them together. You can also use a paperclip but that will make it a little more difficult because you have to connect it and disconnect it a few times quickly.
2nd you need to find the MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector, which is a regular-type connector with 2 green wires coming out of it. its plugged into the fuse box, but its safe to unplug without disconnecting the battery first.
MES Plug in Fuse box.

SCS Plug

It is a yellow connector with two wires in it that is plugged into the fuse box, unplug it and pull it down. Once you have done that you can begin the process of erasing the memory. NOTE: This will only reset your SRS System if what caused it to trigger has been fixed, Ex: turning the ignition on with any SRS Plugs disconnected, such as pulling your seat out.
1st step in erasing the memory is to turn the ignition off and connect the SCS Service connector to the MES Plug,
2nd Turn Ignition on. SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds then go off.
3rd Disconnect SCS service connector for MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS indicator light goes off. SRS indicator light will come on again.
4th Reconnect SCS service connector the MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS light comes on. SRS indicator light will go off.
5th Disconnect SCS service connector from MES connector within 4 seconds. SRS indicator light will indicate that memory is erased by blinking 2 times.
6th Turn ignition off, and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle like normal and light should come on and go out like normal. You have reset your SRS light, congrats.
If it does not work the first time try it again, the timing has to be perfect. My first time it took me 3 attempts before it worked, but it did work.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will this procedur ework with a 97 integra LS also? my SRS light is on and Acura is charging me $111 just to look at it.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (igotsol!)

will this procedur ework with a 97 integra LS also? my SRS light is on and Acura is charging me $111 just to look at it.
ya it should. civic and integra are very similar.

also, i forgot to mention something. if there's a problem with your srs system you'll never reset it. you have to fix the problem first or it'll never work. on my friend's 98 hatch he had to put in a new control module because with the old one it wouldn't reset, i guess it was messed up or something. also, i'm not the one who wrote that thing, but i didn't write down who did when i saved it on my comp. also forgot to mention that anything that jumps the 2 wires works, on my friend's car i used a bent fuse, i just stuck the 2 ends into the wire clip, its a lot easier to use than a paper clip. good luck.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (ek four)

electric tape over the light should work fine.
so then what happens when you're in a high-speed wreck and your airbags don't go off? if the light is on that means that there is either a problem right now with the srs system, or there was one and it hasn't been reset yet.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:27 PM

well mine(00 si) did that awhile ago and i was talkin to one of the doods at honda and sometimes... and i might add, in my case... the light can be caused by your battery. strange but true. Try charging your battery, or even testing to see if you need a new one. Then resetting the ecu and see what happens. Hey, it worked for me but i dunno... hope that helped.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dam......it doesnt work.....i tried it like 35 times...............
Old 02-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam......it doesnt work.....i tried it like 35 times...............
you said your car was in an accident before and you had to get new airbags. did you replace the control module as well? when changing airbags you have to change the module as well, because its a one time use kind of thing.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:29 PM

yo i just recently got the same prob with my 96 hatch. It just popped outta nowhere. I remeber it comes on when you start the car but then goes away shortly. Now it just stays. Plus, my hatch has never been in any accident as far as i know.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam...do you know where the control module (sensor) is located ? man i think i might have to replace that thing.....but gotta find where it is first.......and how do you know if it still works or doesnt?...
Old 02-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dam...do you know where the control module (sensor) is located ? man i think i might have to replace that thing.....but gotta find where it is first.......and how do you know if it still works or doesnt?...
the control module is behind the center console, next to the firewall. there's a black plastic cover over it, i think there was 1 screw on each side, then you have to pop the cover apart. the control module has a big yellow plug on the left side, don't disconnect it until the battery has been disconnected for 10-15 minutes first. there are 2 star-shaped screws on each side holding the control module to the car. i have no idea how to tell whether its still good or bad, but i do know that its one-time use. if your airbags are popped then you have to replace the control module along with the airbags themselves. good luck finding the solution.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i reset it in 2 trys! thanks man!
Old 02-14-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (igotsol!)

i have a control unit for sale.

came out from a 95 ls, it was popped before.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (intezn)

i have a control unit for sale.

came out from a 95 ls, it was popped before.
hey dumbass, if you had actually read the thread you'd know that your little control unit is useless . this is the civic forum anyway, not integra .
Old 02-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 ek airbag srs lights up???? help please (ek four)

electric tape over the light should work fine.
kick *** solution!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks dxtyper, i will look for it this weekend. i hope its still good, but most likely ill have to go on ebay and look for one. i hope after i replace it, the srs light will turn off..maybe i can use my sisters 98 civic control module as a replacement. or if anyone has one that hasnt popped, im me or leave me a reply at this thread. thanks for all the help.