Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic LX Sedan Coolant Flush / Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic LX Sedan Coolant Flush / Change

I had my car in to get some things looked at and there was some miscommunication with what I wanted checked and done. Long story short they ended up doing a coolant flush which I had planned on doing myself. They didn't end up charging me in the end, so that part worked out fine.

They did a complete flush with distilled water (which was good). New hoses and Honda thermostat. Not being a Honda dealership, they used a HOAT coolant for the anti-freeze. They said it was Zerex G-05.

I know that most on here prefer to use OEM Honda coolant.

My question is this...Should I be fine with this since this was a complete system flush? I don't want to waste a good service if there is no need for the extra work.

Thanks,

DK

Last edited by doneking; 06-03-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Correction - Clearer
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Civic LX Sedan Coolant Flush / Change

Originally Posted by doneking
I had my car in to get some things looked at and there was some miscommunication with what I wanted checked and done. Long story short they ended up doing a coolant flush which I had planned on doing myself. They didn't end up charging me in the end, so that part worked out fine.

They did a complete flush with distilled water (which was good). New hoses and Honda thermostat. Not being a Honda dealership, they used a HOAT coolant for the anti-freeze. They said it was Zerex G-05.

I know that most on here prefer to use OEM Honda coolant.

My question is this...Should I be fine with this since this was a complete system flush? I don't want to waste a good service if there is no need for the extra work.

Thanks,

DK

You should be good if they used Zerex.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I'm figuring. Since it was a complete change I'll run it like this for a while. My gen civic came with the older type coolant that has low silicate in them anyway. I figure this formula is pretty much the same.

I would have preferred to go with the newer Honda coolant that has no silicates in the formula.

DK
Old 06-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Zerex is a fomula similar to what most Japanese automakers use from the factory, so you should be good
Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

It really doesn't matter the coolant, it is just best not to mix it with other types as they will likely have a reduced usable life span

MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems

I can say first hand dexcool is pure junk, and if a car with dexcool has been sitting for a long period of time the water pump will rust itself to death

In the past managing an autoparts store it is hard to convince people to buy the premium coolant, but then again it's hard to convince them there is a reason they lost coolant and the car needs to be checked by a mechanic.

All major automakers use their own brand of fluids for the most part. The owners manual in my 2011 ford fusion says specifically using any other oil but motorcraft, or oil filter other than motor craft, or spark plug other than motor craft, can void your warranty.

The best advice is don't cheap out on your fluids regardless of what you choose

My favorite autoparts store customers

"I don't need an oil change I have to add a quart like every month so I know it's got clean oil".

Or

"my car is running hot and the dash says coolant is empty can you show me where the coolant goes?

Or

"my ac isn't as cold as it use to be, can you put this freon in for me?"

*le sigh*