Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic HX auto has hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic HX auto has hesitation problem

I just got my second civic a month ago and have been experiencing some problems. Before I explain the problem I just want to let you guys know that I have an automatic Civic HX with the D16Y5 motor.

The problem is that the car hesitates when accelerating and the rpm bobbles as you drive. While the rpm is bobbling, you can definitely feel the car bobble in speed and acceleration as well. It makes for a very annoying and uncomfortable ride. It feels like you're being jerked around. As soon as you step on the gas, it feels like a rough start too. It seems like the car takes a while to fall in gear, but as the car starts to accelerate, the bobbling of the rpm starts. And it doesn't matter how fast you accelerate or drive, the bobbling is consistent at all speeds and even when I come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign. The problem wasn't that noticeable when I bought the car since it was sitting for a weeks before I bought it. I just thought that as I drove it more the problem would go away. I don't know too much about civics other than they're super reliable. My last 96 DX gave me plenty of life before my brother totaled it.

As of now, the car only has 86K and there is no engine check light on and so I have no idea how to fix this problem. Its cold here in wisconsin so I want to find a solution to this before it gets too cold to work on cars. I've been told that it might be a bad transmission, but was wondering if anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want to spend all that money replacing the trans and that not being the problem. The only things that I've done is replace the air/fuel/oil filters, check all vacuum lines, and did regular maintenance. I've heard that it might be a bad IACV, TPS, IAT sensor, PCV, MAP sensor, distr. cap/rotor, or spark plugs. I don't know what to look at first. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!....thanks in advance!!!!....
Old 12-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic EX 4 Door - Acceleration problem/ Rough Idle

We want to help you out but in the future please don't bump every hesitation thread in the search it really clogs up the forum. You say you've done regular maintenance but what does that entail? Although you haven't thrown any codes I would consider cleaning the EGR system

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/egr-fix/index.html
Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Hesitation on first acceleration?

Originally Posted by 99CivicHXcoupe
I just got my second civic a month ago and have been experiencing some problems. Before I explain the problem I just want to let you guys know that I have an automatic Civic HX with the D16Y5 motor.

The problem is that the car hesitates when accelerating and the rpm bobbles as you drive. While the rpm is bobbling, you can definitely feel the car bobble in speed and acceleration as well. It makes for a very annoying and uncomfortable ride. It feels like you're being jerked around. As soon as you step on the gas, it feels like a rough start too. It seems like the car takes a while to fall in gear, but as the car starts to accelerate, the bobbling of the rpm starts. And it doesn't matter how fast you accelerate or drive, the bobbling is consistent at all speeds and even when I come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign. The problem wasn't that noticeable when I bought the car since it was sitting for a weeks before I bought it. I just thought that as I drove it more the problem would go away. I don't know too much about civics other than they're super reliable. My last 96 DX gave me plenty of life before my brother totaled it.

As of now, the car only has 86K and there is no engine check light on and so I have no idea how to fix this problem. Its cold here in wisconsin so I want to find a solution to this before it gets too cold to work on cars. I've been told that it might be a bad transmission, but was wondering if anyone have any other suggestions? I don't want to spend all that money replacing the trans and that not being the problem. The only things that I've done is replace the air/fuel/oil filters, check all vacuum lines, and did regular maintenance. I've heard that it might be a bad IACV, TPS, IAT sensor, PCV, MAP sensor, distr. cap/rotor, or spark plugs. I don't know what to look at first. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!....thanks in advance!!!!....
Props for searching, but you should start your own thread, giving as much detail as possible about the issue.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Hesitation on first acceleration?

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
We want to help you out but in the future please don't bump every hesitation thread in the search it really clogs up the forum.
Originally Posted by mcvtec
Props for searching, but you should start your own thread, giving as much detail as possible about the issue.
I agree, so I have copied the OP's post to a standalone thread.

Start with a tune up - spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor.

Does the CEL work?

Last edited by Former User; 12-06-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 99 Civic HX auto has hesitation problem

Thanks guys...I'm just a trial user and didn't think I could start my own thread. I did overpost, but only because I was doubtful of any help. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Regarding the regular maintenance, it just includes regular oil/air filter changes and making sure I have enough fluids. As far as I can tell, the CEL is working because it comes on when I put the key in the ignition, but goes out afterwards. I'll check into finding a code and the EGR today and I'll let you guys know what I get. I'll also try to give it a tune-up ASAP. Thanks for the help guys!!!