Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

99 Civic EX Starter Not Engaging

Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Civic EX Starter Not Engaging

This is my sister's car, but I'm trying to fix it for her. 1999 Civic EX 5-speed completely stock. I checked the clutch interlock switch and pad and they are intact and functioning. The battery is fully charged and ready to go.

It will NOT start using the key.
It will NOT start when I jump a hot wire to the Solenoid Terminal.
(In both above cases it makes a loud click, like it is throwing out, but not spinning. The engine is not turning over. It does not make the rapid "machine gun" sound like a starter does when the battery is low)

It WILL push start. (I then drove it 15 miles home)

I followed the flow chart in the Helms Service Manual which indicated that the starter was bad. I pulled the starter, cleaned up the commutator and brushes, but I can't access the solenoid or plunger like I could on the B-series starters. This car is mint, and the inside of the starter looks barely used. I have a hard time believing that the starter is bad. I reinstalled the starter and it still has the same problems.

I again pulled the starter and followed the continuity test for the solenoid. Which both test out okay. S-terminal to armature housing is good, and there is continuity between the S- terminal and the M-terminal.

I didn't see the performance test until just now, but its too late to check tonight. I will also be taking this starter to town to get it bench tested tomorrow.

I really don't think it is the starter. Are there any other causes for the starter not engaging that you have run into?

Also will the starter from a 95 GSR work in its place? I have a brand new one of those.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Civic EX Starter Not Engaging

Ignition coil, maybe? I have an 00' EX and my friends got a 98 EX and we both had similar issues where ignition coil was bad. Replaced it and started up just fine.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can bench test the starter yourself. You just need a battery, some jumper cables, a small length of wire, and the starter off the car.

Attach the black side of the jumper cables to the negative terminal on the battery, and the body of the starter (one of the mounting tabs is easiest)

Attach the red side of the jumper cables to the positive terminal on the battery, and the main power bolt on the starter

Put the starter in a bench vise (or stand on it, if you're feeling brave)

Using the small length of wire (or screw driver, or whatever) bridge from the large power bolt to the small signal plug. The starter gear should rapidly shoot out and spin up. If it doesn't, starter's dead.

No, your GSR starter will not work on your sister's car - completely different engines.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
You can bench test the starter yourself. [...] The starter gear should rapidly shoot out and spin up. If it doesn't, starter's dead.
Thank you jbpnoman. It does rapidly shout out, but it only slowly spins up, and then crawls to a stop. Bad starter. New one ordered. Should be in tomorrow.