Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 LX extended o2 sensor wires for exhaust swap now car wont start. please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 LX extended o2 sensor wires for exhaust swap now car wont start. please help

Ok so I am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what went wrong here.
I have a 98 LX with original everything except the exhaust. I recently swapped my entire exhaust for a 98 integra gsr cat back with a 2000 ex header. I have an oem integra cat on there and as almost everyone knows the ex and lx have their cats in different locations. so after having the mid pipe extended and the exhaust fitting properly I wanted to re-route the o2 wiring to the ex locations.

the primary o2 plug was simple, i just unwrapped the engine harness loom and moved the plug back as far as I could get it. last night after driving around for 3 weeks with the secondary unplugged I decided to re-route the connector inside the cabin and through the floor. short of removing the entire engine harness to move the plug I unwrapped from the secondary to the firewall under the battery and depinned the connector for the o2 sensor and pulled the red wire and the insulated gray wire into the cabin area.

the two black wires were routed in the harness going the opposite direction under the intake manifold so I cut those were they were and extended the wires following the other two. repinned the plug put the o2 sensor through the floor and plugged the hole with the grommet on the o2 sensor and plugged it in. I then wrapped the harness with electrical tape and loom and hooked everything back up. connected the battery and went to start the car. car cranks main relay clicks very faintly. fuel pump does not turn on and there is no communication at the DLC with my scanner. the check engine light is solid when key is on.

I have torn apart the car again in search of my mistake but I cannot find it. the main relay does not smell burnt, the solder joints are perfect, all the grounds in the engine bay are mounted and clean. i unwrapped the harness thinking maybe I nicked a wire while i was working but I found nothing. I removed the ecu cover to see if i burned a capacitor or something but again found nothing. I checked every single fuse in the car (underhood fuse box and cabin fuse box) none of them were blown. I need some sort of advice or a push in the right direction cause I am working on 3 hours of sleep and my brain just wants to shut off. as soon as I finish posting this I am going back into the garage to check the chassis ground under the srs control unit were the o2 sensor plug goes through the floor. that is my last guess as to what it could possibly be other than the main relay somehow got fudged up. that I am not worried about I have three known good ones at my house. biggest problem is I am 45 mins from there lol.

oh btw I also soldered on a new speed sensor plug and installed a b series aluminum speed sensor last night as well. my plastic d series speed sensor was giving me issues due to corrosion on the pins and the plug. I do not see how this could have caused my problem but I am just throwing it out there because it was one of the repairs I made last night.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Last edited by HondaTom87; 03-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 LX extended o2 sensor wires for exhaust swap now car wont start. please help

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:01 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 98 LX extended o2 sensor wires for exhaust swap now car wont start. please help

You just posted this. Maybe you should post up cliffs. I stopped reading it halfway through because I kept losing my place.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

happy?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:09 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want help don't cop an attitude.

The most obvious thing? Undo everything you did. Everything.

BTW you could have just bought an extension harness instead of hacking wires. One of the members here sells them.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 03-16-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like you shorted something. Did you check all your fuses?
Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am sorry for however it is that you are interpreting my posts but I am not giving anyone an attitude I am simply making light of my own shitty day.

but onto your post. I have been over everything I have touched three times now and there is nothing broken or improperly installed. I believe I knocked out a ground or it is a fuse issue or main relay issue. i am checking continuity on all of the fuses now and i am going to test the relay in a few. I just wanted someone to point me in the right direction. like "double check this ground, I knocked mine loose when I was working in that area a week ago" not "undo everything you did and sit there with the exact same problem you are having now."

and I didnt go with the extension route because I wanted it as close to oem as possible. I have enough o2 sensor plugs to make an extension it just would have bothered me to have the plug under the hood still when honda made a location for it on this chassis in another trim level. its just a pet peeve of mine...
Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked every fuse 3 times visually now I am checking them for continuity with my fluke.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Stock 98 LX except the exhaust - 2000 ex header, oem integra cat, 98 integra gsr cat back - just unwrapped engine harness loom and moved the primary o2 plug back as far as I could get it.

After driving 3 weeks with the secondary unplugged, I re-routed the connector inside the cabin and through the floor, unwrapped the wire harness from the secondary to the firewall under the battery, depinned the o2 sensor connector, and pulled the red wire and the insulated gray wire into the cabin area.

The two black wires were routed in the harness going the opposite direction under the intake manifold, so I cut and extended them to the other two, repinned the plug, put the o2 sensor through the floor, and plugged the hole with the grommet on the o2 sensor and plugged it in. I then wrapped the harness with electrical tape and loom and hooked everything back up, connected the battery.

Went to start the car. It cranks, main relay clicks very faintly. Fuel pump does not turn on. There is no communication at the DLC with my scanner. the check engine light is solid when key is on.
^I edited your long first post, for those less initiated. Try to summarize succinctly in the future.

First off, it's unclear that you rerouted the correct secondary O2 sensor wires. There's no gray wire.

The four wires should be:

Blk/Yel (heater voltage from fuse 15)
Blk/Wht (heater ground to ECU)
Wht/Red (sensor input to ECU)
Red/Yel (sensor ground to ECU)

Also check whether fuse 44 or 13 is blown. Do this by measuring voltage at both top test tabs of the installed fuses with the key in ON(II). Click the Fuses link in my signature.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was your ecu connected when you did this ? was the battery disconnected ? solid engine light is usually a bad ecu . any friends that would let you borrow there's ??
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap the 2 black wire's and retry it if you follow the diagram they are both black to connector c125 then they change to black/white ( to ecu heater control) and black/yellow to fuse 15 .
Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
^I edited your long first post, for those less initiated. Try to summarize succinctly in the future.

First off, it's unclear that you rerouted the correct secondary O2 sensor wires. There's no gray wire.

The four wires should be:

Blk/Yel (heater voltage from fuse 15)
Blk/Wht (heater ground to ECU)
Wht/Red (sensor input to ECU)
Red/Yel (sensor ground to ECU)

Also check whether fuse 44 or 13 is blown. Do this by measuring voltage at both top test tabs of the installed fuses with the key in ON(II). Click the Fuses link in my signature.
the white/red is the gray wire i was referring to. it is gray from ecu to plug due to its extra insulation.

like i have stated i have continuity tested every fuse that is linked to the ecu main realay and fuel control. hell i tested every fuse. all read o ohms across there test terminals.

also i removed the extension from the black/white o2 heater control wire cause i unwrapped the harness about an inch passed where i extended it from and it ended up routing toward the ecu under the battery. so no the only extended wire is the black/yellow to fuse 15.

Originally Posted by canadaek
was your ecu connected when you did this ? was the battery disconnected ? solid engine light is usually a bad ecu . any friends that would let you borrow there's ??
the ecu and battery were disconnected.

the only thing i can try right now is my step down harness with an obd1 ecu or my automatic p2e.

I have tested my main relay in my friend's 00 civic and it is not my issue.

Originally Posted by canadaek
swap the 2 black wire's and retry it if you follow the diagram they are both black to connector c125 then they change to black/white ( to ecu heater control) and black/yellow to fuse 15 .

those wires were not my issue. i did not swap them but i am checking my issue now.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still cannot figure out what could have possibly gone wrong.
I couldn't find my 98 auto p2e but i used my obd1 p05 with my obd2a-obd1 step down harness and still nothing. soilid check engine light main relay clicks but fuel pump doesn't kick on. voltage to every fuse. but i checked continuity between pin 9 and 22 and ground on the ecu harness plug A and there was nothing. so i am working on removing the engine harness now to see if the wires are damaged anywhere.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

figured it out...

the logic ground wires were broken inside of the insulation right at the edge of the ring terminal where they bolt to the thermostat housing. i have repaired it and wrapped everything up and the car started right up. i checked those damn brown wires three times and since the housing wasn't cut open i thought they were good then when i found there was no continuity in the wires between terminals 9 and 22 i knew that was my problem.

thank you everyone who pitched in to help me figure this out.

my apologies if i seemed like i had an attitude to anyone. that was not the case and i will try to make my posts more reader friendly from now on.

thanks again