Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Honda Civic EX losing power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Honda Civic EX losing power?

So I recently bought a 98 Honda Civic EX about three months ago. It was running fine for the first two weeks. Then it started having problems where the power would die. Mostly when I would stop. If I stopped at a traffic light or if I turned my car off to get gas and then try to start it. The power would be anywhere between 0mph-10mph, even if I floored it. It just would not move. I considered the caliper was sticking but the brakes look new. And not to mention my ABS light is always on. From the time I first start my car. But I assume the ABS has nothing to do with my power loss. There for a while the engine light would even come on. It hasn't come on anymore since I did some work to my car though. I did a computer scan and it pulled the codes P0730, P0700, P0113. Two were transmission codes.

So I fixed all the oil leaks when I first got my car by buying all new gaskets for my solenoids, valve cover, and distributor. I got a new timing belt, water pump and so on. I got my transmission rebuilt. I got new spark plugs. I got a new oil filter and transmission filter. I changed the oil and transmission fluid. I got a new torque converter.

I'm running out of ideas of what could be the problem to my power loss?
Maybe the cat is clogged up or the idle air control valve is bad? I'm not too sure what is going on here. If someone could help me out that'd be awesome.
I do know for a fact that my distributor cap and rotor has some scratches on the inside because someone did not put it on right. I plan on getting a new one but I don't think that would necessarily cause the huge amount of power loss.
The engine seems fine though and I don't see any signs of vacuum leaks or anything of that sort.

I'm becoming quite hopeless because I can't even drive it 5 miles up the road. It loses power anytime I try to drive it.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Honda Civic EX losing power?

when you say "power would die" are you meaning electrical power? or are you talking like the engine would die?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you said 2 codes were transmission related your third code is probably your issue

OBD II Fault Code
  • OBD II P0113
Fault Code Definition
  • Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
What does this mean?
The Intake Air Temperature Sensor measures the rise and fall of the air temperature inside the Intake Manifold. This provides critical data needed for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to control the Air Fuel Ratio, the Ignition Spark Timing and many components of the Emission Control Systems.
Code P0113 sets when the voltage signal to the PCM from the Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit stays above 4.5 volts while the Coolant Temperature Voltage readings are rising and falling within an appropriate range.

Symptoms
  • Check Engine Light will illuminate
  • In some cases, the engine may be hard starting and/or get poor fuel economy
  • Poor engine performance/hesitation on acceleration
Common Problems That Trigger the P0113 Code
  • Defective Intake Air Temperature Sensor
  • Dirty air filter
  • Defective Mass Air Flow Sensor
  • Faulty or corroded Intake Air Temperature Sensor wiring or connections
Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

might also look into your map sensor
Old 06-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Trial User

Yes, sorry I should've elaborated better. When I say losing power I mean the car will still run but the acceleration stops working though. I don't think it has anything to do with brakes sticking or anything like that. And true, I just don't see how that could cause the acceleration to just randomly stop. It used to drive for about 30 minutes, then acceleration stop working. But now it's more like 5 minutes, then it stops. It just progressively got worse. But thank you, I shall try that out and see if it helps any.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all that stuff that I mentioned above all tells the PCM your air to fuel ratio if its saying your not getting what you should be getting that might be your issue.

do you have factory catalytic converter?
Old 06-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Trial User

True, and yeah I have the factory converter. The gas burns really quickly
Old 06-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cat could be clogged. But a map sensor and the other issue that you were pulling a code on could cause you to use gas quicker it might be semdi g more fuel than whats needed depemding what its telling the car to do