Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic White smoke at idle even after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic White smoke at idle even after warm up

Ok so this car is smoking whitish/brownish ad idle and even after warm up. When the car is driven the smoke is not there but at idle it's constantly slowly coming out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(A bit of History of has led to this)

We had just replaced the head gasket because I noticed a little car was loosing water somewhere. I ran a radiator cleaning additive which I ended up leaving in even after the warm up for a about a week.(Car was sitting not driven since it wasn't a daily). The car was running fine the day after the headgasket was replaced it ran fine and all. After sitting for a week I started the car and after 10 min the idle got loopy and I noticed radiator started to leak. So it was loosing compression and it was going into the cooling system. So I think the cleaner solvent must have broken down the sealing stuff on the head gasket and caused a leak somehow. After replacing the head gasket and fixing the radiator the car is blowing the white smoke constantly.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic White smoke at idle even after warm up

Does the smoke have a scent?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has the car ever overheated? It is somewhat unlikely, but it is possible for the head to warp. Did you torque the head bolts in the right order?

White smoke is burning coolant. It makes since that it would go away as you are driving. There is less of a vaccum as the throttle body is opened a little, so it pulls less coolant pass the head gasket into the cylinders
Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rylan
Does the smoke have a scent?
It doesn't have any abnormal scent. It doesn't smell sweet like coolant or like oil either. I was thinking that maybe there was water in the muffler, cat, etc.....
Old 12-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jeanious
It doesn't have any abnormal scent. It doesn't smell sweet like coolant or like oil either. I was thinking that maybe there was water in the muffler, cat, etc.....
Wierd. One would think that water would evaporate pretty quickly. Burning coolant definitly has a smell to it.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Markley02
Has the car ever overheated? It is somewhat unlikely, but it is possible for the head to warp. Did you torque the head bolts in the right order?

White smoke is burning coolant. It makes since that it would go away as you are driving. There is less of a vaccum as the throttle body is opened a little, so it pulls less coolant pass the head gasket into the cylinders
I think it did overheat at some point but I did get the head resurfaced the first time. The second time I pulled it and just checked the head and block with a straight edge for any warping and they were both fine. I torqued the head to the specs provided in the honda manual. Also when I decided to pull the had because of the compression going into the coolant the car did not overheat. I noticed the bubbling and I turned the car off.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Markley02
Wierd. One would think that water would evaporate pretty quickly. Burning coolant definitly has a smell to it.
Well it has a scent but nothing sweet..... Yeah I'm stuck on this one, lol.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:54 AM
Trial User

Icon6 Re: 98 Civic White smoke at idle even after warm up

I flushed the cooling system with the a/c on, put in coolant and then left cap open for the air in the system to exit. filled with water and bang, the smoke disappeared. Car driving perfect.