Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic rear disc brake conversion part list

Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic rear disc brake conversion part list

I'm putting together a rear disc swap for my 98 Civic EX and I'm just double checking all the parts I will need.

I will be getting trail arms off of a 95 Integra LS.

99-00 Civic Si prop valve

I have been told I don't need a new brake booster/master cylinder because the one on my EX is the same as the Si? Is this true?

I don't think the Integra has calipers on it, so could I just get Si calipers and Si brake lines instead of getting Integra calipers and Integra brake lines?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic rear disc brake conversion part list

The trailing arm from the teggy will bolt on and you can use and rear calipers from 92+ civics and 94+ teg but you will need the si brake lines and e brake cables. The si prop valve isn't really needed unless you upgrade your front brakes, when I did my rear disc swap I didn't change the prop valve until I did the 11" rotor upgrade kit
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like u have an idea what u need make sure u have some heat and plenty of penetrating lubricant im in the process of doing the swap myself rite now and i snapped and broke 4 of 10 bolts... oh what fun it was time to go back at it again when i get new bushings. many rusted inside the bushing and broke ripped the old ones to hell.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i did this exact same set up on my 96 civic ex. i bought a set of trailing arm/rear discs off of a guy who took them off of his 95 integra ls parts car. the exact things that you will need is:
-your trailing arms from the integra (make sure they have ok bearings, make sure the calipers work or will need replaced)
-si prop valve (not extremely necessary but will help)
-you will need to replace the trailing arm bushings, i used energy suspension, you have to completely burn out and remove the old rubber and reuse all of the metal from the previous trailing arm bushings. its pretty simple)
-rule of thumb, you need to go ahead and replace your rotors.
-make sure you have the brake cables from the ls or use si brake cables.
-of course get new brake pads
-replace calipers if they are in bad shape while you have them off of the car
-not necessary but i went ahead and got new ones, get the retaining screws for the rotors, can get them at autozone.
-one problem that i ran in to was that the trailing arm bolts that held the trailing arms to the integra were not unbolted, they were cut, so i had to weld nuts to the cut studs and back them off that way, it was a pita)
-make sure you have si brake hoses, either steel braided or rubber, your preference.

have plenty of brake fluid handy and make sure you clean the whole set ups thoroughly, high temp paint will make them look good but not necessary. give yourself some time to do this too, since i ran in to the problem of trying to back those rusted cut bolts out of the trailing arms, it took me a day longer than expected. when you are replacing the trailing arm bushings, if you use the energy suspension bushings, make sure you get all of the rubber out of the ring on the trailing arm and make sure all the rubber is off of the center piece that actually bolts up to the car. when you go to put the bushing in the trailing arm, lube it up with the provided lube and stand on the bushing, it should slide in nice and snug. remember that the center metal pieces are longer on one side than the other, remember which way they came out so you can put them in the same way in the new bushings. all of the other brackets are the same (the camber bracket and the upper trailing arm bracket) so you can either use your stock ones or the ones off the teg. you need to use your civic lower control arms, no need to get si lca's, they are the same, the teg lca's wont work though. other than that, if you have abs, make sure the abs sensors are in working condition on your trailing arms (i dont have abs so i just took all that junk off). take your time and do a good job at it. they are well worth it in the end. also remember to replace your prop valve, its not extremely necessary but will help, the ex and si prop valve are extremely similar. make sure you bleed the brakes before you do anything. have plenty of cleaner and rags around because it will be very messy. you do not need to get a new brake booster or anything like that. any other questions, feel free to pm me.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What pads do u use, I’m tryna do a brake disc conversion but I don’t know what size pads I need 👍🏼
Old 03-27-2022, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

Any normal civic or Integra (non-R) pad.