Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic EX sedan - Need help on engine rattle noise (driver side lower belt area)

Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 98 Civic EX sedan - Need help on engine rattle noise (driver side lower belt area)

About 7 months ago I had the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, cam and crank seals replaced with Honda OEM parts by my main mechanic. Everything ran great, no problems.

About three months later I start getting an oil leak from the oil pump O-ring. I take it back to my mechanic and unfortunately they are not able to do it, and when I asked if they knew anyone else, they sort of referred me to another guy.

This guy did an R&R on the oil pump, put everything back together, no leaks, etc. everything worked fine. About maybe one month later I was getting a rattle type noise (sort of like a marble in a can) that started being heard from around the lower timing belt cover/engine area. I thought maybe it was the valves and adjusted the valves. It did quiet down a little but the noise is still visible. I thought maybe it was the cold weather, but now that its getting into the 90's I can still hear the noise.

The funny thing is their are no CEL's being thrown and if you run the vehicle up to operating temp, or for a few minutes the noise seems to go away.

In the mornings on startup its audible and when you give it the gas you can hear the rattle increase, but as the idle drops to around 1500 rpms (around there) you don't hear it no more, then as it drops lower to idle rpm's you can hear it.

I've checked everything and have no idea what it could be. I'm running sythetic oil (as I have for years), with a mobile one filter.

I don't think its the oil pump or low pressure - no CEL and I don't think I'm cooking a bearing as I've had that experience in another vehicle - very loud knock that ended up blowing the engine.

I don't want to take it back to the second mechanic as he seemed kind of shady, just my feeling. I may take it back to my regular mechanic and see what he says. Do you have any thoughts on what it might be? The noise is causing me some concern but the car seems to run great besides the early morning startup noise.

Its a 1998 Honda Civic 4dr EX (VTEC) with 84K on the engine. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ron or someone else - need help on engine rattle noise (driver side lower belt ar

Anyone? Thoughts on how to diagnose? Thanks!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic EX sedan - Need help on engine rattle noise (driver side lower belt area

this is going to sound crazy and probably not your issue but when my bottom bolt fell out of my alternator it made a strange noise on acceleration.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 98 Civic EX sedan - Need help on engine rattle noise (driver side lower belt area

Check all the bolts, post a video. Maybe an exhaust leak?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! I'll post a video tomorrow/this weekend.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have ac ? i had a problem on my car that it sounded like something was making a crazy rattle noinse it ended being my ac compressor it sounded like the lower belt area to so try checking that
Old 05-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't have a chance to make a video today, cleaning house... Anyways, I noticed that the vehicle idles after warm up at around ~500 rpms, is that normal? Just throwing that out. Will try to make a video tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its probably the ac or ps you can either remove the belt or cut the belt if it stops then you know which one is bad lol
Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the rpm's - running at 700 at hot idle, timing is correct also. I changed out the cap and rotor - original Honda's and worn out pretty bad. New wires and plugs. It doesn't seem to make the noise as much but it is present for a few minutes until warm up. I guess I'll live with it. Vehicle runs good, so no problems... thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check your ac,ps or alt is could be one of those
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by taylorboi
did you check your ac,ps or alt is could be one of those
I did not have a chance. I will check next weekend. Do I have to completely pull the belts off of the engine or can I just loosen the brackets and pull the belts to one side??? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya you dont have to completely remove just make sure there off the pullys and out of the way and wont get caught on any moving objects try check the ps first then the ac then the alt
Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by taylorboi
ya you dont have to completely remove just make sure there off the pullys and out of the way and wont get caught on any moving objects try check the ps first then the ac then the alt

OK, thanks!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same problem on my 98 hatch b18 swap !
Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Friend has the same problem. What was it?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I swapped out the LMA's and the noise went away a little bit. I really have no idea. Had the valves adjusted also. At this point I'll just live with it as it goes away after warm up.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bowl_of_Rice
its probably the ac or ps you can either remove the belt or cut the belt if it stops then you know which one is bad lol
Never cut your belts!
Check the bolt in the bottom of the alternator. Mine was doing this awhile back and I checked and it had somehow fell out. 2 dollars for a new bolt at the hardware store.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just purchased a 98 EX coupe and heard the same noise before I bought the car. Got out my trusty mechanic's stethascope and probed around found the noise was loudest at the alternator (rest of motor sounded pretty smooth). That says to me it either the alternator or water pump (alt bracket bolts to pump area). I'm going with alternator. Talked the seller down $100 because the alternator was due to be replaced to which he agreed.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Trial User

This seems to be the most up-to-date forum regarding the terribly annoying (and worrysome) issue plaguing our 98 LX's.
Mine recently was serviced for the timing belt @ 155K because it had skipped a tooth. All valves were checked and then over these past few weeks that spurted-rattling sound ONLY during acceleration or increased load has come up. I've done it all... replaced all motor mounts (thinking that this was torque-related and some part of the exterior engine may have been hitting metal; removed the deteriorated heat shields, and inspected for loose bolts. NOTHING.

I read in another forum that there is the possible issue of the doughnut gasket on the connection between the pipe and exhaust manifold? Anyone have luck with that?

We all seem to be facing this same issue at the same time. Please tell me that none of you have found the issue to be a spun rod. I would think that if the issue were major that you would hear the "rattle" while car is in park/neutral and not just under-load and in movement.

My car is all-stock, just a daily driver. No mod's, just as-is. Please help if you can. I've sunk nearly a grand into this car in three weeks. I'm about to push the damn thing off a cliff!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still makes the noise on cold startup, goes away after a few minutes and you can't hear it after warm up. Don't think its a spun bearing as this post was back in August and the engine still runs, oil pressure, etc. Someone said that Honda techs say this is a "normal" sound? Maybe piston slap on the 4 banger?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm in the same position as you guys. 94 civic vx single cam vtec. only very small amount of rattling noise during acceleration. if its in neutral and i gas it only sometimes will it make the noise. i replaced the entire trans with a rebuilt one from synchrotech so that pretty much takes that out of the picture (no i didn't replace the trans because of the noise). i know my car needs a new rear motor mount but i still don't think thats it. also has a brand new dizzy, timed it myself. also i removed the heat shield entirely. gonna go check some bolts and see if i can find anything.

basically a nice little bump for this thread lol
Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by strategy400
Just purchased a 98 EX coupe and heard the same noise before I bought the car. Got out my trusty mechanic's stethascope and probed around found the noise was loudest at the alternator (rest of motor sounded pretty smooth). That says to me it either the alternator or water pump (alt bracket bolts to pump area). I'm going with alternator. Talked the seller down $100 because the alternator was due to be replaced to which he agreed.
Update: Went to replace the alternator and the lower mounting bolt (the big one) was missing. Bought a new one at Honda for $7. Purrs like a kitten now.