Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic/ cold weather start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic/ cold weather start

I am the proud owner of a 98 civic. I live in Michigan, the weather is not always tropical My car has always performed flawless in the winter, with that being said;

In December I had the Distributor replaced by good year, my car just died while I was driving on the expressway. After the repairs, my car worked fine, it seemed good year properly diagnosed my problems. The only difference I noitced was that my car seemed to be ideling a bit lower when I first started my car. I had no problems with my car until our recent cold snap, now my car is barely starting with the cold weather. I have a new battery so the car will turn over just fine. It seems gas is not getting to the engine.

This morning it took me about 5 minutes of constant cranking to get it going. Last week I used some heet treatment in the tank and after 24 hours, my car started in -30windchill!! I was so happy and chalked my problem to water in the gas tank. I drove my car all weekend without issues. It started fine all weekend but I have been starting the engine and letting in run every 12 hours or so. Last night I did not go out and start it up and let it run, I hoped it was just the cold and that gas tank that caused my problems- it warmed up a bit I hoped everything would work like it has in the past, I was wrong!....What happened this morning cannot continue.

Could my reconditioned distrubutor be causing this problem? Or do you think there could be other underlying issues?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by 98civiclover; 01-19-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: changed title