Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic replacing air bags AND.....? NO BS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic replacing air bags AND.....? NO BS

buddy messed up his 97 2 dr civic.
( i have been reading airbag seraches for an hour)
please answer in the same format... it is quicker to find that way.

thanks to everyone

1: what years and models of airbags work for his car?
2: are there sensors in the front of the car?
3: what year modules work and or does the module NEED to be replaced for proper use if his air bags to deploy
4: <U>please no</U> airbag deletes, or srs dissable
5: RIGHT OR WRONG: the car won't start until the air bag module is replaced or reset.
6: clock spring? what would of happened with that? (just from readings)

6:anything else?

thank you

Modified by rewerbcrx at 1:27 AM 7/6/2008
Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Default Re: 97 civic replacing air bags AND.....? NO BS (rewerbcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1: what years and models of airbags work for his car?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Could use any 96-00 Civic air bags from 2, 3, or 4 door (irrelevant), or if you do an entire steering wheel swap there's some others. Should run about $100-$150, depending on source (used, but not blown).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2: are there sensors in the front of the car? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm pretty sure there are. These may be damaged and require replacement, depending on severity of impact.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3: what year modules work and or does the module NEED to be replaced for proper use if his air bags to deploy</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't know if the main module needs to be replaced, probably just reset with the 2-pin connector, but I'm truly not sure on this one. Just tossing in a vote.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5: RIGHT OR WRONG: the car won't start until the air bag module is replaced or reset.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Welp, I can at least take care of this one. The car will still run, I know of a guy who's been running with a blown bag a month or two (idiotically). It -may- blow the fuel pump fuse though (#13, I think 10 amp?), as I believe SRS and fuel pump are on the same fuse, at least from what the diagram says.

As far as the clock spring, I have no idea. Maybe someone else could chime in.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an 00 Si, I would sell you my steering wheel/steering wheel airbag and pass. airbag if you like.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 civic replacing air bags AND.....? NO BS (EH_3)

some more INFO on this please thank you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH_3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an 00 Si, I would sell you my steering wheel/steering wheel airbag and pass. airbag if you like.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I might be interested TY. PM me a price shipped to 13733
Old 07-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rewerbcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buddy messed up his 97 2 dr civic.

thanks to everyone

1: what years and models of airbags work for his car?

belive the same years as well 96-00

2: are there sensors in the front of the car?

not sure but I think they are in the fire wall.

3: what year modules work and or does the module NEED to be replaced for proper use if his air bags to deploy

yes you must replace the srs computer when the bags have deployed. you must also replace the sensors. as they are momentum sensors

96-00 should all be the same

4: <U>please no</U> airbag deletes, or srs dissable

I hate air bags so I take them out. and would use a jdm wheel and air bag tray

5: RIGHT OR WRONG: the car won't start until the air bag module is replaced or reset.

incorect the car will start you have a diff issue if it will not start

6: clock spring? what would of happened with that? (just from readings)

the clock spring is under the steering wheel air bag and will need replaced as well

that is what allows the wiring for the air bag/horn/cruise wireing to turn without binding up

not that i cna think of

thank you

you are welcome

Modified by rewerbcrx at 1:27 AM 7/6/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 civic replacing air bags AND.....? NO BS (twistedimage)

why would the clock spring be bad? would that be something i could tell him to take out and inspect.... because maybe it could still be good... he hit a deer... and if you know anything of upstate NY its like hitting a freaking COW most insurance places totall vehicles but luckily his did mostly hood damage and core support which all have been taken care of. so we are trying to fix his air bag issue now...

as for the sensors.... where are they located... ? i heard a couple diferent things... (no helms manual) TY
Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 PM

i have a extra ek steering wheel with air bag 40 bucks shipped
Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clock spring may or maynot be bad. but they usually are. the reason being: when the air bag blows it creats tremendous heat to fire it off so it usually melts the clock spring wireing.

if that guy has the whole wheel thats a good deal for 40 just go get a new clock spring at the junk yard
Old 07-07-2008, 03:49 PM

it is the whole wheel, I am going to list it on ebay so if you need it get back to me before the end of this week
Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddy messed up his 97 2 dr civic.

thanks to everyone

1: what years and models of airbags work for his car? Correct, 96-00 are direct fit.
2: are there sensors in the front of the car? NO. The module is located in the center of the passenger compartment in front of the cup holders. It is held in place by 2 larger torx bolts.
3: what year modules work and or does the module NEED to be replaced for proper use if his air bags to deploy. You should check the module with a scan tool. About 80% of them will show a "power supply failure" after an airbag deployment. Double check fuses first.
4: please no airbag deletes, or srs dissable
5: RIGHT OR WRONG: the car won't start until the air bag module is replaced or reset. Car does not care if your bags are hanging out of the dash or steering wheel. They do not hook the airbag module to the ECU in any way so you are fine.
6: clock spring? what would of happened with that? (just from readings)Sometimes, the clockspring can melt due to the current required to ignite the bag charge. You can unplug it at the bottom of the column and at the airbag. Use an ohm meter (digital multi meter) to test for a short. IF the clockspring is not shorted, you are typically good. Also, double check for continuity through each wire to make sure it did not get broken causing an open connection.

thank you
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 civic replacing air bags AND.....? NO BS (RyanA)

TY all for your replies