Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic LX Sedan - Trunk Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 97 Civic LX Sedan - Trunk Leak

I've done some searches and looked at the FAQ but did not see anything that looked like the leak problem I am having.

I have water entering my trunk. I have included links to three photos showing the source of the leak on the inside. I am having a problem identifying where the water is entering from. The leak is located at a metal to metal seam underneath the rear body panel adjacent to the trunk lid opening on the right side of the car. The pictures show it better than I can explain.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gmmolin...CNW3h8yy59iNNw

I have sealed with silicone around the rear window (both sides of black molding). I was thinking that the seam may be open underneath the molding. But I still have water coming in. I am thinking that the glass may have to be pulled so I can identify the problem.

I would appreciate any ideas for me to explore. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Civic LX Sedan - Trunk Leak

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...=trunk+leaking
Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmmolina
I've done some searches and looked at the FAQ but did not see anything that looked like the leak problem I am having.

I have water entering my trunk. I have included links to three photos showing the source of the leak on the inside. I am having a problem identifying where the water is entering from. The leak is located at a metal to metal seam underneath the rear body panel adjacent to the trunk lid opening on the right side of the car. The pictures show it better than I can explain.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gmmolin...CNW3h8yy59iNNw

I have sealed with silicone around the rear window (both sides of black molding). I was thinking that the seam may be open underneath the molding. But I still have water coming in. I am thinking that the glass may have to be pulled so I can identify the problem.

I would appreciate any ideas for me to explore. Thank you.
My DX sedan leaks form that EXACT same spot you have pictured, leaving a pool of water in the trunk every time it rains. I pulled the seal around the trunk and determined it was not the cause.

In for an answer.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Trial User

Yeah hope someone that has run into the same issue and solved it comes across this post. I thought water was getting under the molding because water was getting in when I splashed that area with water. Since it still leaks I will see if I can splash water more strategically to find the exact spot. I'll post what I find.

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On my personal experience, 1st thing to check is the tail light seals! It is amazing how much water can get in through them after they start to dry up and fail
Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gmmolina, I am wondering if you have figured anything out about this? I have water dripping from the same spot as you point out; however, mine is on the drivers side. I have siliconed things and laid in the trunk while someone poors water on it. haven't had much luck so I am starting to think it in coming in from higher up around the rear window somewhere then traveling though some body structure to the trunk.?

There are a lot of threads about finding the leaks, many suggesting it is taillight seals or the trunk wheatherstirip. Its not. I have no sunroof on my HX so its not the drain from that. The car hasn't been in an accident and is not rotting anywhere.

Someone knows where this is coming from so before I rip out my back window to reseal it, I thought I would check with anyone.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Easy way to find leaks...

Take a hose. Spray on various parts that you think might be leaking. Wipe up excess. Check for water. Repeat.

Start with lower areas so you don't have trickle down screwing up your experiment. Happy hunting.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

tail light seals would be my first place i would check
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madHD
Gmmolina, I am wondering if you have figured anything out about this? I have water dripping from the same spot as you point out; however, mine is on the drivers side. I have siliconed things and laid in the trunk while someone poors water on it. haven't had much luck so I am starting to think it in coming in from higher up around the rear window somewhere then traveling though some body structure to the trunk.?

There are a lot of threads about finding the leaks, many suggesting it is taillight seals or the trunk wheatherstirip. Its not. I have no sunroof on my HX so its not the drain from that. The car hasn't been in an accident and is not rotting anywhere.

Someone knows where this is coming from so before I rip out my back window to reseal it, I thought I would check with anyone.
This is the mystery leak.

Have you siliconed the entire run channel on the side of the trunk between the weather stripping and quarter panel? Sometimes you will get lucky and will get the micro crack and seal it. For me no such luck, I even had my rear window resealed still leaked.

This is not a tail light issue.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same issue. Did anybody figure this out? I have an 1997 LX. No accidents. All original body panels. Wet trunk.