Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic LX, overheating and I've replaced a ton of stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 Civic LX, overheating and I've replaced a ton of stuff

I thought the thermostat is suppose to be opening at around 180F..170f seems too early..
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see Ron's image through work (will have to check @ home) but this is what my manual says on tstat:

page 10-11

STD Thermostat:

Lift Height: 8.0 mm
Starts opening: 169* - 176*
Fully open: 194*

So if mine doesn't start opening till 18x*, then it appears to be out of spec. I may try a back to back test to see what wins out though, ie re-install current tstat, bleed, evaluate (and if I get overheating) drain the system, install new autozone tstat, bleed, evaluate.

Either way doesn't really change the answer though. Its either the tstat or air in the system causing this issue.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jds62f
I can't see Ron's image through work (will have to check @ home) but this is what my manual says on tstat:

STD Thermostat:

Lift Height: 8.0 mm
Starts opening: 169* - 176*
Fully open: 194*

So if mine doesn't start opening till 18x*, then it appears to be out of spec. I may try a back to back test to see what wins out though, ie re-install current tstat, bleed, evaluate (and if I get overheating) drain the system, install new autozone tstat, bleed, evaluate.
Rons post just says what you posted...opens at 169-176..and then fully open at 194...
and how to check it.

Just between us....dealer parts usually are warrantied for 1 year...(usually required for dealer to install though) however, maybe you could try to get the dealer to replace it for you- under a part warranty...guess it depends how good of a customer you are, or if you have bought alot of parts from them, etc.

You can just say you tested it and it doesnt open...and try to get them to replace it for you...no chance they are going to test it on you....they will either say flat out, no to warranty or say bring it in and well replace it.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So your saying the car overheats, but if you run it without a thermostat it doesnt? it is possible that its a water pump issue, or a lean issue. How does the car feel on power? Or has it always had this problem? Running lean can cause the car to overheat. Its possible your injectors or fuel filter are clogged or your FPR is malfunctioning.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jimster480
So your saying the car overheats, but if you run it without a thermostat it doesnt? it is possible that its a water pump issue, or a lean issue. How does the car feel on power? Or has it always had this problem? Running lean can cause the car to overheat. Its possible your injectors or fuel filter are clogged or your FPR is malfunctioning.
As stated in the thread, I've replaced the water pump, and the one that came out was in perfect working order. Car did not always have this problem, my issues started back in feb with a stuck open tstat. Fuel filter was replaced when I did the headgasket, timing belt, and water pump. Going to buy a different tstat and try that this weekend, even though it irks me to no end that it will be the second I've purchased this year.

I've flushed the coolant before and not run into any problems, so its hard for me to imagine I was doing it wrong, but it has to be acknowledged that air in the system is a possibility.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

JDs62f----

just pick up a thermo at pepboys or whatever...throw it in, and see if it overheats if thats the case. They are like 12 bucks If I recall, and you have the option to return it if the problem persists. Plus...changing a thermo on these is 10 mins...

Or try bleeding the system. I had to drop my coolant a few months ago when I redid my thermo, and didnt bled it (nor need to) just dropped the peacock....changed the thermo, refilled it, and went on my way.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As stated in the thread, I've replaced the water pump, and the one that came out was in perfect working order. Car did not always have this problem, my issues started back in feb with a stuck open tstat. Fuel filter was replaced when I did the headgasket, timing belt, and water pump. Going to buy a different tstat and try that this weekend, even though it irks me to no end that it will be the second I've purchased this year.

I've flushed the coolant before and not run into any problems, so its hard for me to imagine I was doing it wrong, but it has to be acknowledged that air in the system is a possibility.
your car wont overheat just from some bubbles in the system. Mine has air in the system all the time because the radatior leaks like a **** and I cant afford to replace it atm. It doesnt even start to overheat until the water gets low in the radatior. if your car is stock (and mine is even boosted) and your getting those issues then its running lean, or you have a cracked block/sleeve.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it overheats with tstat in and doesn't overheat with it out, then the issue is somehow related to the function of the thermostat. With tstat in my rad fan would never come on, but with tstat out it now does come on appropriately... thats not related to the engine block. When fully open the tstat shouldn't restrict the system, so for the things you describe I would expect the system to be overheating even with the thermostat OUT due to the extra heat/reduced capacity introduced by the things you suggest. I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I am not calling your suggestion impossible, I do not understand how they are reasonable suspicions given the info in the thread and MY understanding of how everything works.

I know (another) new tstat is cheap and easy I just haven't had time to give it a shot. This weekend!

Originally Posted by Jimster480
your car wont overheat just from some bubbles in the system. Mine has air in the system all the time because the radatior leaks like a **** and I cant afford to replace it atm. It doesnt even start to overheat until the water gets low in the radatior. if your car is stock (and mine is even boosted) and your getting those issues then its running lean, or you have a cracked block/sleeve.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air will make it overheat it insulates the t-stat from the hot coolant mine did this when the headgasket went (turning the heat on high would drop the temp back down)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine has never been finicky about coolant though... I've flushed before and never had any issues. That said the issue is resolved with ANOTHER thermostat. I can't believe I had two go bad inside six months! Car functions properly now :-)
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine has never been finicky about coolant though... I've flushed before and never had any issues. That said the issue is resolved with ANOTHER thermostat. I can't believe I had two go bad inside six months! Car functions properly now :-)
wow, imagine that lol. Crappy quality parts FTL
Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Trial User

HG replacement did not resolve my issue. The HG I pulled off had no cracks. Good thing I needed to replace timing belt anyway... Water pump looked brand new so isn't a water pump issue.

Even though I took it out and verified it worked I'm going to take the thermostat out of the loop completely and see if that helps.

Also, shot the bottom of my rad with an infrared temp gauge after a drive and I don't know if I got weird results or not. Started at 96* on the passenger side and stayed fairly consistent until I got all the way to the other end, where it was 107*

Shot the upper rad hose and got 205*, but the lower hose at the thermostat housing read like 120*. Wondering if, even though they both have been replaced recently, I've got a FLOW issue due to thermostat or radiator clog.

Still think I've got a leak issue too so the dye is on its way. After buttoning everything up and going for a couple of drives, I filled my coolant up to *exactly* the max line, and even now when the car is cool the coolant is at exactly the max line. Not quite sure how I've got a leak yet I'm apparently not loosing any coolant.

And lastly, when i pulled the head off I did have it checked/planed and compression tested to verify it was fine.
If one area of a radiator is hot, and another area is a different temperature, there is blockage somewhere in the radiator. And my guess, is that is your problem right there. Either way, with those two cylinders being significantly lower in compression than the other two, (whether it be the HG or not) you should definitely do something about that.