Looking for OEM ride height for 95 Civic Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon5 Looking for OEM ride height for 95 Civic Sedan

Hey everyone,

Intro photos: https://imgur.com/a/AVRmC8h
Just to preface, this car is being used for street driving, it's a D15 engine, no track plans at this time. I own a 95 Civic that when I bought it had busted coilovers (some cheap ebay special) with broken struts. I decided to just buy some KYB AGX struts and use the coilover springs until I found new springs to purchase. I was able to get the front struts before the rears came in, and I wanted to see what the car looked like with the coilover's springs, and where the car would sit with those springs. Well it turns out the springs barely fit with the 15" wheels, making the ride just a tad too low for the exhaust, giving only about 3/4" of shock. I'd say I'd want to raise the height of the ride by about an inch given by the before and after height of the wheel locations, giving some clearance for the aftermarket exhaust so that it doesn't scrape on the ground when I go over some bumps.

All this to say, I don't know what springs will give me this height, since I don't know the OE height. I do have the length from the base to the wheel well for the car for before and after struts were installed:
BEFORE: LF 23 3/8 RF 23 1/2
AFTER: LF 21 5/8 RF 21 1/4

(Before was with coilovers fully extended, after is with AGXs installed and using the springs from the removed coilovers)

So looking at how the car has been driving I'd say I'd want it around 22 - 22 1/4 inches. However, most springs give how many inches the height will be lowered, not where they'd sit at. So if there's any info for the OE height I'd love to know.

Other notes: it looks like some forum posts have used finger gaps and ground to wheel arch not well (all after front struts have been installed):
https://imgur.com/a/f1RzHjV
Wheel gap front: cannot fit even a pinky straight on, have to angle pinky upward
Measurement from ground to wheel arch fronts: 20 7/8 and 20 11/16 L/R
Wheel gap rear: 3 finger gap, maybe slight wiggle room
Measurement from ground to wheel arch rear: 23 3/8 and 23 3/8 (my measuring may be slightly off, rear left tire is different from other 3)

From this I do believe raising front by an inch and lowering rear by an inch is still the thing I'd want to go for. If there's any spring manufacturer recommendations I'd appreciate that as well, my budget for springs is ~$300. I also don't know what spring rates I should be looking at? From the big post about suspension it says 165/85 F/R both progressive, so if I'm lowering should I double that? Again, purpose of this is to daily drive while being lowered slightly. I'm looking at these springs from H&R, but it doesn't have any rates: https://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-16...t-springs.aspx At the very worst I'll sit at stock height, but I'd prefer not to. If any other info is needed just let me know so I can provide it.

Last edited by TheSideJoe; 10-14-2019 at 11:58 AM.