Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Ex Coupe windows/power lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ex Coupe windows/power lock issue

I've recently purchased a 96 Civic Ex Coupe and I didn't realize until I tried rolling the window down to light a cigarette that it had no power to it, the passenger and driver windows aren't reacting. I then tried using the power locks to lock the doors and it makes a weird ticking noise like it wants to work but nothing happens. I also realized that the driver lock is at a weird angle and doesn't want to move either way to the lock or unlocked position. I started the car up and it seems like the lock then wants to move. The aftermarket deck that replaced the old stock radio doesn't have any power to it either. It's a few minor things that the car has issues with and I'm just trying to figure it out. The sun roof has power to it so I'm kind of stumped.

I haven't looked into any of these problems yet as I just purchased the vehicle and got home late. I'll be looking into these problems in the morning I just wanted to post this on here to get somewhat of an idea and point me in the right direction. I assumed that the locks and windows would be connected to a blown fuse but if the locks fuses were blown it wouldn't make any noise or attempt to work it sounds like. I assume the windows are fuses but I'm not sure the locks and the windows all seem connected, and no power to the radio I'm not completely sure. Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 96 Ex Coupe windows/power lock issue

Locks - more than likely bad door lock actuators.

Windows - could be anything. Start with fuses. Then check for power/ground at the switch and the continue onto the window motor. I haven't dick'd around with a Honda window issue in over a decade, so more frequent users may offer more help.

Cigarettes will kill you from within.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96 Ex Coupe windows/power lock issue

just like @joey1320 wrote, check fuses in the under dash fuse panel and also check the power window relay in the C916 spot in the under dash fuse panel. this relay was the problem in my coupe; passenger side had no power going to it but my driver side worked. go figure.

your power window switch could be bad too. try swapping it out with a known good one.

[img]webkit-fake-url://DD98EEF0-9479-4ED1-BD9A-AAE148C9AEDC/url.jpg[/img]
[img]webkit-fake-url://669FF149-953B-4BBE-B59E-C63D5C2EF3E8/449b1671.jpg[/img]