Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 EK hatch - muffler / lip kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 EK hatch - muffler / lip kit questions

Hey peeps. I've never owned an older Civic (only an FG1), so most of the vehicle models / basic parts compatibility / interchangeability I am completely unaware of. I purchased a 1996 CX hatch 2 weeks ago from a friend and it needs a few parts like a muffler and a front lip. Here are my questions:

1) By the rear tire where there is the two bolt-point (for the catback?), the exhaust pipe ends. I have called around to a few local muffler shops just to get an idea of what my options are and they're all quoting close to $150-200 for a basic muffler. Right now, sadly, that's too much for me, so I have been looking on classifieds, ebay, and I just visited a local junkyard the other day. This is where the compatibility question comes in. I looked around a junkyard lot and found a 1996 Honda Civic sedan with a 1.6L 5 speed manual that has a good condition muffler that looks like it would fit my hatchback. However, there is no way for me to tell if this part will work on my car for sure without removing it, purchasing the muffler, and fitting it up to my car. To avoid unnecessary work and possibly losing money, I thought I would ask you guys if this part is compatible with my EK hatch first. I do plan to do some basic measurements, but I am really hoping someone has some knowledge in this department to help me out (like would a sedans exhaust be too long and not fit my hatch?).

Also, ebay looks to have some options for me for around the same price (junkyard would be around $40). For example, here are some mufflers I found on ebay:
a) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-18558-Exhaust-Muffler-/231183652859?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item35d39e97fb&vxp=mtr
b) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Muffler-Rear-silencer-Bosal-163-727-/321405159665?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3AHonda%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item4ad53d88f1&vxp=mtr
I'd also like to mention, what I'm looking for in a muffler is a more stock look that muffles the sound. I wouldn't mind a nice rumble, but I can't really afford anything nice right now and my main objective here is to silence the droning sound that I'm currently subjected to. It's really not that bad around town, but on the freeway the drone is terribad.

2) I've never purchased any non-OEM lips before, so I am a little leery of ebay right now for my front lip purchase. Below is currently the front lip I am looking at though. Is there anything I should be aware of when purchasing these? My car is black, so the basic color of the lip shouldn't be a problem. I'm just trying to be careful in my purchase.
a) http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-98-Honda-Civic-Black-PU-JDM-Si-R-Style-Front-Bumper-Lip-Spoiler-EK-EK9-Sir-/121148626220?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CYear%3A1996&hash=item1c3505552c&vxp=mtr

Thank for any help!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:38 AM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 96 EK hatch - muffler / lip kit questions

As far as a front lip, you can get it off Ebay, but it will look cheap and be an obvious replica. Fitment is poor, so is quality.

You can buy a real OEM front lip, the same one that comes on the SI and the CTR, but those are about $250 from Honda. They are worth it though, it comes painted black from the factory and fitment is ideal.

I don't have any recommendations for an exhaust in the $40 range, unless you can find a used muffler off an EM1, but that will still have to be cut and modified at an exhaust shop.

Personally, I would save up and buy the OEM lip and a decent exhaust. You'll be thankful later that you did.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
As far as a front lip, you can get it off Ebay, but it will look cheap and be an obvious replica. Fitment is poor, so is quality.

You can buy a real OEM front lip, the same one that comes on the SI and the CTR, but those are about $250 from Honda. They are worth it though, it comes painted black from the factory and fitment is ideal.

I don't have any recommendations for an exhaust in the $40 range, unless you can find a used muffler off an EM1, but that will still have to be cut and modified at an exhaust shop.

Personally, I would save up and buy the OEM lip and a decent exhaust. You'll be thankful later that you did.
Well, I don't plan on keeping the car for more than a few years. It's just getting me through my internship (no pay) and next job. Also, the car's paint in the picture looks better than it actually is, so that's why I'm considering an ebay lip.

As for the exhaust, what I really want to find is something from a similar model (cheapest route) so I can swap it onto mine. I don't care for looks or performance. I just want a quieter ride. Are you saying mufflers from the same year Civics as mine that are not hatchbacks will not fit my car without modifications? So my only option for a clean swap is to find a hatchback?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1-You don't NEED a lip. Get off of it.
2-Get any old piece of eBay/junkyard muffler you want. It's a like for like swap. How hard can you possibly make this?

For having no money this shouldn't even be an issue.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
1-You don't NEED a lip. Get off of it.
2-Get any old piece of eBay/junkyard muffler you want. It's a like for like swap. How hard can you possibly make this?

For having no money this shouldn't even be an issue.
ROFL

No, I didn't need coilovers either, but I wanted them, bought them, and installed them. I'm not sure what your point is, guy.

As for the muffler, I'm just concerned about compatibility. I've already said I don't know anything about model swapability. Did you read anything I wrote?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 AM
The Grumpiest

Like-for-like. Go down to the junkyard and get a replacement since you're "broke". How hard is it really?
Compatibility? Oh! How about looking at compatibility when looking for parts on eBay? I'm pretty damn sure they list that information in the listing. Oh! How about checking online Honda parts etailers for part numbers? Get on your back. Look at the muffler. Get a tape measure if you have to. Trot over to the scrapyard and make sure the one you get is identical. Again, how hard can it be? I remember when I started working on cars and didn't have the internet and it wasn't this hard.

And for clarification; a lip is a cosmetic piece. Questions about it suitable for the Appearance section. Not the Technical forum. Especially for eBay parts.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:49 AM
The Grumpiest

Here ya go! have it welded on and you're done.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thrush-Turbo...44a7db&vxp=mtr
Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 AM
The Grumpiest

Your first eBay listing.
1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback 3-Door 1.6L 1590CC 97Cu. In. l4 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated
I guess they're lying to you.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Your second eBay listing. Found this also under compatibility.
1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback 3-Door 1.6L 1590CC 97Cu. In. l4 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated
Originally Posted by 2LEM1
This was best advice you got in this thread. Broke. Meh.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's solid advice no doubt, and I would normally always go that route, but current finances and priorities don't deem that option viable yet. Do you think I want to roll on Rotas? No, but that is irrelevant. Pay attention.

To address your comments though, I know what like-for-like implies, hence why I went to the junkyard, searched on ebay for model appropriate parts, and made this post for feedback. I have no experience with these cars. I mention in my OP that I do plan to return to the junkyard to do measurements on the muffler, but that day has not yet arrived. When you say like-for-like though, is a 96 Civic sedan "like" enough for me to do a clean swap to my 96 Civic CX? If you'll notice, that was my very first question in the OP. I'd like to also point out that this is my cheapest, quickest, and seemingly best option (OEM), which is why I have not pulled the trigger on an ebay exhaust. Besides, I've always been leery of ebay parts.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the cat-back, it has to be from a hatchback. The hatch has a different part number than the coupe and sedan. They aren't "universal".
Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
For the cat-back, it has to be from a hatchback. The hatch has a different part number than the coupe and sedan. They aren't "universal".
Thank you!

I went to a friend's house last week to try fitting a similar model/different year muffler and it did not fit.