Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic Coupe EX/HX Door Wire Harness differences

Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 96 Civic Coupe EX/HX Door Wire Harness differences

I need some help, the dealership didn't have a clue of the differences between a 1996 Civic Coupe HX Driver's door wiring harness and a 1996 Civic Coupe EX driver's door wiring harness. I don't expect everyone to do my own work for me. I have looked and the only thing I can see that is different between the HX and EX is that the EX has tweeters in the panel by the outside power mirror. The rest looks like it's identical.

When I look at the HX's price for the wiring harness is ridiculous, but the EX is much more affordable. I haven't done the work yet, but some mechanic in the past messed up the wiring inside the door and it might be easier just to drop a new door harness in than trying to de-pin all day, etc.

Here's the two part numbers.. EX is 32751-S03-A20 and the HX is 32751-S03-A10. If anyone knows the differences, I'd really like to know.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 96 Civic Coupe EX/HX Door Wire Harness differences

What car are you installing the harness?

Are you only interested in a new harness or would a used or junkyard harness be fine?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
What car are you installing the harness?

Are you only interested in a new harness or would a used or junkyard harness be fine?
Thanks Ron, yeah forgot that part in my post. I have a 96 Civic HX Coupe and am going to be tearing the wiring apart to track down some issues (outside mirror functions missing, power door locks intermittent). Turns out years ago a mechanic who really didn't know what they were doing hacked the factory harness trying to diagnose a bad ground. I am now restoring it back to what it should be. I would like new if I can get it, and I do know I could go to a junkyard and get it for cheap.

When I compared the HX and EX coupe door harnesses, all my info only shows that the EX difference was the extra tweeter speaker in the door. But the difference in price is insane! The HX is $700+ and the EX is about $60. So I'm trying to figure out why the price difference, what is so different. I can't find anything in the service manual.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:30 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

The one thing I would look at are the part numbers of the power window motor and the door lock motor. If they are diff between both models than yeah it could possibly be diff.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
When I compared the HX and EX coupe door harnesses, all my info only shows that the EX difference was the extra tweeter speaker in the door.
Majestic Honda shows the 96 HX coupe harness as discontinued. I think the 96 EX coupe harness would have a high chance of working in a 96 HX coupe.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
The one thing I would look at are the part numbers of the power window motor and the door lock motor. If they are diff between both models than yeah it could possibly be diff.
thanks tony! I looked up all the parts in the drivers door for both and the window motor, the door lock motor/actuator, and the power lock control module are all the same exact part numbers for the HX and EX. That's what confused me as to the price difference of nearly $650!

Originally Posted by RonJ
Majestic Honda shows the 96 HX coupe harness as discontinued. I think the 96 EX coupe harness would have a high chance of working in a 96 HX coupe.
Maybe that's why the price is ridiculous, since it might be discontinued. I checked with my local dealer here in michigan and they said both were still available. I appreciate that Ron! Good to hear it has a high chance of working, I was thinking it might. I could not and still can't understand the price difference!! So if I have to tie/tape off the unused connection for the tweeter, who cares! lol. Thanks for the help! Points me in the right direction!
Old 09-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Fish Twig

You can probably get it cheaper at a pull a part. Just take your time and pull what you need. I love going to a pull a part.

Pliers, flat head screw driver (all sorts). 10mm(probably), philips screw driver(all sorts).
Old 09-10-2016, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You can probably get it cheaper at a pull a part. Just take your time and pull what you need. I love going to a pull a part.

Pliers, flat head screw driver (all sorts). 10mm(probably), philips screw driver(all sorts).
thanks for the info on the tools that I'll need for a pull-a-part junkyard. I'll see what's available around my area, but what's nice is I know that the harness is available in case I can't find what I need. Just nice to have a back up plan.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:00 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The only difference should be the tweeter leads and they just run parallel from the woofer/midrange lead, [connected at the terminals to for the woofer/midrange] other then that they should be the same.
FYI the most common problem with a drivers door harness, [any car] is broken leads in the door boot, between door and chassis, because the drivers door is opened and closed 100s of times more then any other door the wires inside the boot will brake they may even still look OK but the wire strands inside the insulation are broken but the insulation is still intact, most often leading to intermittent operation of some functions, [if opening or closing the door makes a difference then that is the problem].
Also any repairs to those broken leads done in the boot will not last long, so a new door harness is the best way to go or at the very least a new plug and pigtails long enough to reach into the door so connections can be made inside the door instead of in the boot. 94
Old 09-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

You are correct, the tweeter wiring is the only difference.

However my hx had the tweeter wiring in the drivers side door, but the passengers side did not have the wiring. So I went to the junk yard and got 2 tweeters for $10 and only one had the wiring. Not sure if that was stock or not, my drivers side was pretty heavily molested

Old 09-11-2016, 09:45 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep that is "heavily molested" and not a proper repair, a door is not weatherproof those connections should all have been soldered and shrink tubed and staggered, [connections not all in the same spot] ,
For the OP, sad to see you have no PicknPull lots in Michigan closest is in Summit or Hammond IN or in Columbus OH, 94

Old 09-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Fish Twig

Thats not stock.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
The only difference should be the tweeter leads and they just run parallel from the woofer/midrange lead, [connected at the terminals to for the woofer/midrange] other then that they should be the same.
FYI the most common problem with a drivers door harness, [any car] is broken leads in the door boot, between door and chassis, because the drivers door is opened and closed 100s of times more then any other door the wires inside the boot will brake they may even still look OK but the wire strands inside the insulation are broken but the insulation is still intact, most often leading to intermittent operation of some functions, [if opening or closing the door makes a difference then that is the problem].
Also any repairs to those broken leads done in the boot will not last long, so a new door harness is the best way to go or at the very least a new plug and pigtails long enough to reach into the door so connections can be made inside the door instead of in the boot. 94
thanks fcm! Yeah the wiring was hacked awhile ago before I got the car back. Family member took it to a mechanic that really didn't know what they were doing in the door ! The passenger door which the so-called "tech" never touched is fine after all these years. The problem was a bad ground for the window motor that was bad, no need to cut the wires for the power door locks, mirror. I do agree wear/tear can do that to wiring but my damage was intentionally stupid. I do have the ability to get the pigtails and re-pin the cabin-to-door connector. It was the one on the inside I was thinking might be screwed up and that way I can have the harness ready to go to replace whatever this "genius" did before.

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You are correct, the tweeter wiring is the only difference.

However my hx had the tweeter wiring in the drivers side door, but the passengers side did not have the wiring. So I went to the junk yard and got 2 tweeters for $10 and only one had the wiring. Not sure if that was stock or not, my drivers side was pretty heavily molested
Thanks chrysler kid!! I was wondering if you'd be able to comment since you've been through a lot of HX's! Good to know that my thinking was correct, that it *IS* the same harness just with the addition of the tweeter connection. Hey I guess I could add tweeters to the system now, hmmm.. cool idea! And yeah that wiring you show is heavily molested! Mine was just hacked, wires cut off and left, real insane work I found in the door!

Originally Posted by fcm
Yep that is "heavily molested" and not a proper repair, a door is not weatherproof those connections should all have been soldered and shrink tubed and staggered, [connections not all in the same spot] ,
For the OP, sad to see you have no PicknPull lots in Michigan closest is in Summit or Hammond IN or in Columbus OH, 94
yeah you're right, no picknpull here in michigan. Just regular junkyards and I've searched and no one has the door harness at all. No problem I can get it from the dealer, at least I can get one! Saves me the time of having to re-wire, etc.. I just don't have that time, plus I'd like to make it easy. Yeah it would be cool if we had a picknpull here in michigan, but we get passed by for a lot of cool stuff!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I found conflicting information about the door tweeter wiring, most people with an hx and lx said they had the plug already there in the harness and they just had to hook it up for the tweeter to work, but mine was missing the wiring and plug on the passengers side

As long as the harness is for a 1996-98 car you will be good. If you need to re run wires click on my user name to see the threads ive started and you'll find a thread where I had to re wire and trouble shoot wiring from that drivers side door to get the door locks working again
Old 09-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I found conflicting information about the door tweeter wiring, most people with an hx and lx said they had the plug already there in the harness and they just had to hook it up for the tweeter to work, but mine was missing the wiring and plug on the passengers side

As long as the harness is for a 1996-98 car you will be good. If you need to re run wires click on my user name to see the threads ive started and you'll find a thread where I had to re wire and trouble shoot wiring from that drivers side door to get the door locks working again
That's some cool info, and it makes sense because Honda is always about saving money with parts sharing. It makes sense that the "lower" HX got the same harness at the factory. But at the dealership parts level, it was magically a more expensive part with LESS connectors! I'll have to see what mine has from the factory when I start taking more of the door apart. I asked about the harnesses since I like to plan ahead in case I need something I don't have to dig for hours, I'll already know. And yeah the part number I did find was for a 96 ex 2 door, driver's side, luckily no one screwed with the passenger side (won't need it) because that part is discontinued.

I'll have to re-run some of the wires from the cabin to the door, and I'll check on some of your threads!! Thanks, I appreciate the help! I kind of thought you might know a little about the HX's since you have gone through a lot of them! cool.. so now I just need the time to work on it! lol
Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Direct link to rons post with the door wiring pinout. My problem was power supply, so dis regard my posts about anything else being the problem

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post50170394
Old 09-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Direct link to rons post with the door wiring pinout. My problem was power supply, so dis regard my posts about anything else being the problem

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post50170394
thanks chryslerkid! Yup, I have those pinouts and diagrams in my service manual, but always good to have a thread about the entire harness! cool..