Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 VTEC sat for 3 months & now has NO brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 VTEC sat for 3 months & now has NO brakes

Her brakes were fine, actually good, when I parked her 3 months ago.
She needed a jump to start. Once she was started the ABS and parking brake lights stayed on. The brake pedal went straight to floor with ZERO impact on her motion. Pulling the parking brake maybe slows her down a tiny bit, but certainly doesn't stop her.
Any ideas what I could be looking at?
I'd like to have some clue before I take the girl in and am told that she needs new lines, rotors, pads, pistons, cables, shoes and socks too.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Dur Da Dur

Default Re: 95 VTEC sat for 3 months & now has NO brakes

Did you check the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir? Did you look at the brake booster to see if the master cylinder is leaking? Try taking a picture of the booster and master cylinder and post it here.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is a 95 VTEC?

eH.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

slow mc leak would do this.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Dur Da Dur

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
What is a 95 VTEC?

eH.
VTEC is a trim level on the honda Del Sol
Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Originally Posted by hondur
VTEC is a trim level on the honda Del Sol
Oh, so VTEC isn't a system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. It's a trim level. That's good to know.

What's a 95 VTEC-E then?

eH.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Dur Da Dur

My answer makes the most sense based on context. Why u be so difficult? This is tech, if you want to troll me so bad then keep it in GDD

Oh, so VTEC isn't a system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. It's a trim level. That's good to know.

What's a 95 VTEC-E then?

eH.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

My answer makes the most sense based on context. Why u be so difficult? This is tech, if you want to troll me so bad then keep it in GDD
He's not trolling you per say, you totally missed the point of his post.

I agree, what is 95 vtec, I've never heard of that car. Is it even a Honda? Or is it some prototype car? Is it a civic? I believe 95 preludes had a vtec. What about accords? Does this thread belong in this section?

If that isn't plain enough.

OP please edit your first post and provide full vehicle disclosure like is required for technical threads.

95 vtec could be VX,Si or even a JDM 3 stage swap. And was this engine put into a Honda or is it in a VW bug?

All these details are rather important. Stock implies certain things while custom work could mean a whole nother ball of wax.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Dur Da Dur

You're right, it could easily be a 1995 honda civic VX with a VTEC-E engine. I'm simply assuming that they're posting in the correct subform and dropped the make and model being that those are specific to this subform. I understand that there's a chance that i'm wrong, and their car is actually a 1995 honda civic DX sedan with a C series swap.

Originally Posted by TomCat39

I agree, what is 95 vtec, I've never heard of that car. Is it even a Honda? Or is it some prototype car? Is it a civic? I believe 95 preludes had a vtec. What about accords? Does this thread belong in this section?

OP please edit your first post and provide full vehicle disclosure like is required for technical threads.

95 vtec could be VX,Si or even a JDM 3 stage swap. And was this engine put into a Honda or is it in a VW bug?

All these details are rather important. Stock implies certain things while custom work could mean a whole nother ball of wax.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Originally Posted by TomCat39

Thank you.

eH.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Hysterically Calm

You're right, it could easily be a 1995 honda civic VX with a VTEC-E engine. I'm simply assuming that they're posting in the correct subform and dropped the make and model being that those are specific to this subform. I understand that there's a chance that i'm wrong, and their car is actually a 1995 honda civic DX sedan with a C series swap.
No sweat. Don't take it personal. You provided a helpful answer. The issue is the amount of assumptions having to be made in that answer.

Other posters will tend to avoid the assumptions and drop a subtle hint to the standard rules that are overlooked by newcomers all the time.

You shouldn't take their subtle hints personally, just let it fly and be your normal helpful self to the best of your ability.

Everyone has different methods and as long as it stays relatively civil all usually is well.

Thank you.

eH.
Yer welcome.
Originally Posted by eghatch9295
slow mc leak would do this.
This was sort of my thought, rubber plunger deterioration causing no pressure.

E-brake is cable so is a different system altogether so works but not effective for stopping the car outright with any speed.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Trial User

Gosh, I thought if posting in the Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Model-Specific Technical Forums > Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) it wasn’t necessary to restate Honda Civic / Del Sol and that I didn't need to list all the things that the car is NOT. In this section “95” and “VTEC” limits the car to a Honda Civic EX, CDM EX-V, Si or Del Sol. I thought that anyone who didn’t know they all have ABS and 4-Wheel Disc brakes wouldn’t reply to the post and if they did know I didn’t want to give superfluous information. I also thought that if I didn’t mention custom work it would mean that my 1995 Honda Del Sol VTEC didn’t have, not that there was custom work, but that I didn’t include it.
Sorry for so many assumptions. Let me try again:
My completely stock, as in no custom work ,1995 Honda Del Sol VTEC/B16A3 with 125,376 miles which is not a VTEC-E and not an i-VTEC and not a 3-stage VTEC and not dropped into a VW and not a Honda Prelude and not a Honda Civic si and not a Honda Civic DX sedan with a C series swap and not a Honda Civic VX (aka VTEC-E) or a Honda Civic EX or a Honda Civic LX and not a JDM 3 stage swap and not a Honda Accord and that was not made before 1992 or after 2000 has zero brakes after she has been sitting for several months. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?
Thank you to everyone for the input. If your reply related to my actual question I applaud you for going out on a limb. And I apologize if my original post’s lack of specificity overwhelmed anyone.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by rock & sol
And I apologize if my original post’s lack of specificity overwhelmed anyone.
Not overwhelming. And not really your fault the requirements are for you to provide all car details.

It's the amount of miss posts, and or uninformative posts over the years that have caused those rules to be in place.

It would be nice if we could make simple assumptions on the car purely on where you posted, however, history has proven otherwise.

Anyways, have you checked your master cylinder yet? That is probably the most suspect component for the behavior you described.