Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic d16z6 turbo...smoking exhaust HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic d16z6 turbo...smoking exhaust HELP!

ok guys i know i posted this a few weeks ago and i thought the problem went away. but yesterday i had my car running outside my house and i noticed that there was a good amount of blue smoke coming out of my exhaust while at idle. i revved the engine to about 3k rpms and the smoke went away. so i drove to my boys house and wen i got there i let the car idle for a min or 2 and there was no smoke. today same thing i started it up this morning and let it idle for a few min and nothing. then wen i got to the store and parked i let it idle again and then the smoke started. it seems like its only smoking when the car has been sitting and idling for a few min. also if i hit boost a blue cloud comes out and then it stops and it wont smoke at all until the next time i drive the car. the car runs smooth, its not missing, no loss of power. i dont hear any strange noises. the car did sit for a while before i bought it. could it be the valve seals? any response is appreciated.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 civic d16z6 turbo...smoking exhaust HELP!

Remeber, google is ur friend...But i saved you the trouble..

Possible causes:

1.The engine's piston rings may be worn.
The Fix: Replace piston rings.
2. The engine's valve seals may be worn.
The Fix: Replace valve seals.
3. Damaged or worn valve guides.
The Fix: Replace valve guides.

Symptom: Engine uses more oil than normal, and there is some smoke from the exhaust. The oil level is low between oil changes. It appears that the oil is being burned by the engine because of the smoke in the exhaust. You may or may not notice the engine doesn't have the same power as it used to.

Possible causes:

1. The PCV system is not working properly.
The Fix: Replace PCV valve.
2. The engine may have mechanical problems.
The Fix: Check compression to determine engine condition.
3. The engine's piston rings may be worn.
The Fix: Replace piston rings.
4. The engine's valve seals may be worn.
The Fix: Replace valve seals.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could also be turbo seals..
Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
could also be turbo seals..
X2
Pull your spark plugs and see what they look like.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also check the oil return for the turbo, too small and the oil will puddle and be forced past the seals.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also, make sure you have a good crankcase vent.

if your stock pcv is still hooked up like factory, your rings are probably shot
Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks so much for ur responses...i did sum google research but there were so many diff things coming up on the topic...this is my first turbo car so i'm still learning. my first thought was the valve seals. i'm going to try and figure out which one of these problems that it is. i have a question though...how can i tell if the seals in the turbo are bad or not? do i have to take the whole turbo off and take it apart? its a godspeed (ebay) turbo so i wouldnt even rebuild it i would prolly jus replace it with a better one

the car isnt losing any power at all. i did notice that im not getting the gas mileage that i usually get. and im not sure if its the stock pcv valve or not i would have to check and make sure. and i havent had a prroblem with the oil return line but i'll get it checked anyway. thanks again for ur responses. ill post and update when i find the problem

it just seems wierd that it only smokes ALOT when its been idling for a few min. and it doesnt do it all the time. its like it does it when it feels like it or sumthin
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if its the valve seals the car will smoke when its cold and when the engine warms up and the seals expand from the heat it will stop smoking. so if its smoking when the engine is warm i would rule out the valve seals. turbo seals on a journal bearing will smoke when ur applying ur foot to the throttle. rings normally have blow-by when ur on the throttle hard of light depending on how bad they are. as the one guy said make sure ur oil drain from the turbo is all flowing down and not up and down this will cause oil not to drain properly from the turbo and for it to puddle past the turbo seals. are you running a restrictor on this turbo? what kind of turbo is it? have you done a compression test? when doing the compression test add a lil oil to the cylinder and see if the compression is bumped up after u do one compression test dry. if it does then ur rings are on there way out.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a godspeed t3 turbo...i believe its a .50 trim. its an ebay turbo basically. not sure if it has a restrictor or wat the exact specs are. the car was already turboed when i bought it. the return line goes from the turbo to the oil pan. the pan is tapped. i do notice every once in a while ill get a drop or 2 from the return line when i shut the car off. but it hasnt happened in almost a month.....i just got home from work which is like a 14 mile trip on the highway. i parked it and i let it run for a few minutes while i sat outside & smoked a cigarette. nothing came out of the exhaust till i finished my cig so after about 4-5 minutes. i revved it to about 3k it smoked and then it stopped and nothing came out at all. i let it run for a few more minutes...nothing.....i jus watched a few vids on youtube of cars with bad turbo seals...after seeing the vids im starting to think thats what it is. im still gonna have it checked out of course but i think its jus time for a new turbo

Last edited by philly10psi; 09-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

***UPDATE***...i went outside jus now and did a cold start and let it run till it got to normal operating temperature. the idle goes up and down a lil and then stops. looks like there a few drops of oil in my tailpipe.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if its the turbo seals and your going to run another ebay turbo run a restrictor. there are many write ups for the size of the restrictor and it will make your turbo last a lot longer.