Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Civic Cigarette lighter/stereo doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Civic Cigarette lighter/stereo doesnt work

Can any one help me figure out what this is called/where i can find one the Honda Dealer doesn't sell any harnesses or parts for the cigarette lighter/accessories unfortunately. I wish i had a picture of the one i fried but basically just picture a melted piece of plastic, that's what i pulled out of my car. Problems this little thing has caused me well... My stereo doesn't work and obviously neither does my cigarette lighter or my ashtray light and every time i try to put a new fuse in it pops right away.

MY CAR: 1994 Honda Civic Coupe Ex (all stock)

This is a 1994 Honda accord cigarette lighter wiring harness not sure if it is the same in the Civics or not? If it is i found one on eBay for 20 bucks. if it is compatible this should fix my problem.

Here is the URL for the harness if anyone could help me out and answer my questions or let me know if this is compatible for my car I'd really appreciate it. (ANY THING WILL HELP AT THIS POINT)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-Accord-EX-5-Speed-OEM-2-2L-SOHC-VTEC-Center-Console-Lighter-Wiring-Harness-/161473606255?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item259893b26f&vxp=mtr
Old 12-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 94 Civic Cigarette lighter/stereo doesnt work

If it makes you feel more comfortable, I found it here too....although I hate this site haha 1994 Honda Civic 2 Door EX KL 5MT Instrument Panel Garnish
Old 12-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Did your connector melt? Even with the melted harness removed, the fuse still blows? What is the fuse number?

Last edited by Former User; 12-02-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK so no i haven't tried to disconnect the harness to see if the fuse still blows ... right now my engine is out of the car and so is the battery. When i get my car back up and running i will take that harness out and see if the fuse still blows. It was just the "thermo fuse case" that was melted. What happened was i had plugged something other than the cigarette lighter into the socket and as i did that i heard a pop and my stereo stopped working and there was no power to the cigarette lighter anymore. The first thing i did was check the fuses i found out that the (15A) fuse had blown so i went to replace it and it blew right away i replaced it again, same thing happened. That's when i was led to believe there was a short. So i started to look for a short and that's when i found the "thermo fuse case" had melted and blown. so i did a little research and found that the cigarette lighter sockets are really only for cigarette lighters and that the "thermo fuse case" is made to prevent the circuit from an overload. The fuse number (15A) under dash. On the panel it says "Radio/Cigarette Lighter". Thank you for posting a place where i can find the actual wiring harness and Thanks for posting the diagram for me super helpful. One more question. So lets say theoretically if i disconnect the wiring harness and there is no other short will my stereo be temporarily fixed for the time being until i can spare 20 bucks to buy the harness i need to replace that part?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I lied one more question. What book/manual did you get that wiring diagram from? and where can i get my hands on one?