Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic Engine Dies Momentarily

Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic Engine Dies Momentarily

I am the original owner of a 92 Honda Civic CX SOHC, engine # D15B8, 5 speed manual transmission. My current problem seems to be while driving during initial engine warm up. While in 2nd or 3rd gear, traveling at low RPM’s, the engine loses all power momentarily for 2-3 seconds. If I stay on the accelerator, it will usually jump back to life in that time frame. Also, when the engine dies, if I let off the gas and shift into neutral, the motor will always recover at idle and never stall completely.

This has happened 90% of the time during initial driving with a cold engine warming up. Continued driving at higher speeds does not have any performance issues. Also, when the engine does have its problem, if I turn on the headlights and/or heater/fan blower, the problem is amplified and acts accordingly with the turning on, turning off of those components. Once the car is running fine, (after warm up), the headlights or any electrical load is not an issue.

I have done what trouble shooting I can with a voltage/OHM meter, but without a test harness. Also I have checked for bad wires, connections and grounds, which all seem to be fine.
The alternator and battery have been checked under load and while driving, and there is no voltage drop to the computer, when experiencing the engine cut out issue.

The items replaced so far are:
• New fuel pump
• New fuel main relay
• New ignition switch
• New TPS sensor
• New ignition coil, igniter, rotor and distributor cap

I would like to be able to buy a test harness to thoroughly troubleshoot but seems it is not available.

If anybody has any suggestions on what I might focus on next, please let me know.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Civic Engine Dies Momentarily

Have you checked the MAP sensor?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Trial User

Have not tested the MAP sensor but will try that next. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i agree check that map sensor
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should you ever get to the bottom of this PLEASE post your results. I have been troubleshooting a similar problem (with the same car) for over a year now with no results.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Trial User

After throwing many parts at my car, it turned out I had a bad computer. I was lucky enough to finally find a local mechanic that specializes in Honda's and he swapped out the computer and the problem went away. He was able to find me a reasonable used computer and the car runs great! Sure hope this can help some of the other Civic owners who are having the same problems and can't figure it out. It took lots of patience, time and money to finally get my car back on the road so that it is safe to drive!