Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 hatch opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 hatch opinions

My Ej6 is pretty damn slow to say the least. Its a stock d16y7 with an auto tranny. Someone put an ebay exhaust system on it before i got it, so when the rpms hit about 3k the exhaust has a very annoying and loud rattling sound.
Im tired of being embarrassed. I have a hatch and one day I would really like to have a nice one. So I have a few questions that I would like opinions on from you nice people. Im fairly new to the honda game. So any advice would be much appreciated. First off, One day I am going to build a b series and do a swap. Ive been looking at the JDM B18c-r full swaps on sites like torontojdm. If i buy one i still plan on doing a complete bolt on upgrade on it such as skunk2 intake manifold, toda lightweight racing flywheel, skunk2 vtec solenoid, aem fuel rail, bigger throttle body, injen cold air intake, etc. But I also would want to build this thing...CP forged pistons, eagle rods, race bearings, port n polished head, stage 2 or 3 cams, retainers, valve springs, guides, the whole 9 yards. with all that being said, Would I actually be gaining anything by buying an itr engine and turning around and changing all the guts out? will doing this have any benefits over a proper ls/vtec or over buying any old gsr and building it with the same parts? My first thought would be no. but idk for sure. I really want the itr hydro lsd 5spd trans from and itr. Is it really worth all that money?
One thing i do know is that i want to have vtec, so i dont want to just build and boost and ls. (i mean after all...its what Honda is known for, and i love the way it sounds and how it feels when it does engage.)
But I dont know yet if I want to build an all motor or if i want boost.
im afraid of boost. I honestly dont know much about it. so im scared id **** something up trying to turbo. Thats something i really DONT want to do right after ive finished building it.

I know that honestly it will take 3 to 4 years to build my dream engine. But I can not stand feeling like im being laughed at everytime I drive by anyone that even remotely knows anything about nice cars/ hondas.

In the mean time i want something with a little pep and something that is a lot more fun to drive than my automatic d16y7. So i've picked up a rebuilt del sol si 5spd hydro trans(because it was cheap and rebuilt. plus i couldnt find a y8 trans in the shape for the same price)
But I dont mind having aluminum shift forks for now. Im going to do the auto to manual conversion.
I also have a stock y8 head that has been shaved. So Im also going to do a y8 mini me swap. (yes I have the y8 manifold, injectors, throttle body, 2 wire iacv, vtec harness, and everything i need.)
I bought a 6 puck stage 3 clutch and 8 lb flywheel off ebay to run in the tranny.
Im going to run a p28 and convert to obd1 to make it easy on myself.
Now with all this being said, this is where I come to my 2nd set of questions.
Ive been thinking about buying a brian crower stage 2 n/a cam to throw in this y8 head. (Its supposed to be a direct drop in and can be used with stock springs and retainers) Also thinking about trying to find some one to port and polish this head a little before i put it on as well. Ive heard that if I run a set of z6 pistons that it will raise my compression as well. Is it worth it? i would like to have a little edge over my few friends with stock d series engines and the couple with very light mods.

Can i rely on this mini me for a couple of years? ive read the guides from ppl that have done them and what not. But I havent seen many follow ups to learn how well they hold up and for how long. Is it worth to spend and extra couple hundred bucks for this cam and trying to get the head port and polished? will it give me a significant edge over my buddies cars?
Im also wanting to get rid of this annoying *** rattling sound from this exhaust system. Like I said, it does have an ebay system on it. I think its 2.5". cheap header and muffler.
If i buy a good muffler will it eliminate this sound? Ive seen the dc sports universal mufflers in Advance Auto and stuff for like $60. which Im sure cost probably twice what this cheap muffler i have on there now. Its probably twice as better as well. Are these mufflers good for the money? or should I just save up and buy an apexi ws2 or something?
I have done a lot of research on auto to manual and the mini me swaps. But I obviously cant find figures on this exact process that im thinking about doing.
Im genuinely wanting to learn. please help a man out.
thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 hatch opinions

Based on all the advice I've read on Honda-Tech, D-series, ClubCivic, b20vtec, etc;
Save up and do everything at once, hell 3-4 years? If you don't try to modify the car now and just save up within the next year you should have the knowledge based on further research/advice, and be ready with all the materials to put the build together.
I... personally, if I were to do a B-swap. Search locally and build an LS/VTEC turbo with LSD, or build an all motor H2B LSD
With that, go shop around for a secondhand stock exhaust or get stock piping with a resonator and muffler mocked up, just until you get the B. Because if it's turbo'd, you're going to upgrade the exhaust anyways..
Live with your car frugally for now, save as much as you can since a stock internal all motor D is a waste of time and money (scratch any D16 mods you have in mind other than a 5spd swap). If you want some exterior / interior upgrade ideas, I have a list in my signature you may like to check out.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2000 hatch opinions

Check the stickies. There's a "building your dream car 101" link in there somewhere. That's where you want to start.

You should come to terms with the fact that you will HAVE to switch to a standard transmission, if you haven't already.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: 2000 hatch opinions

Originally Posted by CO671
Based on all the advice I've read on Honda-Tech, D-series, ClubCivic, b20vtec, etc;
Save up and do everything at once, hell 3-4 years? If you don't try to modify the car now and just save up within the next year you should have the knowledge based on further research/advice, and be ready with all the materials to put the build together.
I... personally, if I were to do a B-swap. Search locally and build an LS/VTEC turbo with LSD, or build an all motor H2B LSD
With that, go shop around for a secondhand stock exhaust or get stock piping with a resonator and muffler mocked up, just until you get the B. Because if it's turbo'd, you're going to upgrade the exhaust anyways..
Live with your car frugally for now, save as much as you can since a stock internal all motor D is a waste of time and money (scratch any D16 mods you have in mind other than a 5spd swap). If you want some exterior / interior upgrade ideas, I have a list in my signature you may like to check out.
^^agreed.. instead of buying all the D stuff..you could start piecing together all the stuff for the b swap.. so it doesnt seem like such a big chunk of cash up front