Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic Si; Lift point help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic Si; Lift point help

So this will probably sound dumb to those who read this. For Christmas, I received a floor jack, creeper and jack stands because i wanted to work on the cars in my home. Well, since it finally started warming up, I figured I should start looking into good locations to jack up my car.

I drive a 2000 Civic SI. I've visited other forums and some of have said there is a lift point right in the middle near the front where I can jack it up. I'm familiar with the side lift points but when I want to do an oil change, I feel that doing the one side and then the other will put to much stress on the car.

So is there actually a spot in the front middle area to lift it up? What's your opinion about this? Which option/way should i do it?

Also, if you have a picture of the front lift point (if there is one), could you post it? I prefer visuals instead of hunting for it.

I have lifted my car before but with a hydraulic lift at my school, however when I graduated, I could not use it anymore so now I'm left with this. Hope some can help me, thanks guys!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 Civic Si; Lift point help

Originally Posted by Mr. Huskie
So this will probably sound dumb to those who read this. For Christmas, I received a floor jack, creeper and jack stands because i wanted to work on the cars in my home. Well, since it finally started warming up, I figured I should start looking into good locations to jack up my car.

I drive a 2000 Civic SI. I've visited other forums and some of have said there is a lift point right in the middle near the front where I can jack it up. I'm familiar with the side lift points but when I want to do an oil change, I feel that doing the one side and then the other will put to much stress on the car.

So is there actually a spot in the front middle area to lift it up? What's your opinion about this? Which option/way should i do it?

Also, if you have a picture of the front lift point (if there is one), could you post it? I prefer visuals instead of hunting for it.

I have lifted my car before but with a hydraulic lift at my school, however when I graduated, I could not use it anymore so now I'm left with this. Hope some can help me, thanks guys!
Some people use the oil pan to jack it up (not recommended). Some use the factory tow hooks at the front. The only place I can think of is the subframe just behind the engine, but that seems waaay too far back to reach with a floor jack. Unless you find a sweet spot on one of the suspension components up front, I think you may be out of luck.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 AM

Would anyone suggest the side-side method? (lift one side and then move to the other)

Someone mentioned that like the sides, where there is an arrow pointing to the lift point that there is one near the front end. Could it be under the splash guard and do you think I should get rid of that guard?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a lift point on the front if your car, Its probably silver. Its not directly in the middle, kinda on the drivers side more. its about 4 inches wide and an inch deep. I use that and then put jack stands under the life points on the side of the car.

Id never use the oil pan, lol
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use the radiator support frame in the front and stick the jack right there and lift it high enough to put jackstands on both side of the car.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
I use the radiator support frame in the front and stick the jack right there and lift it high enough to put jackstands on both side of the car.
That's what I do, or I'll just jack up one side at a time and jack it from the lower control arm.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Huskie

Why the hell would lifting up one side at a time put too much stress on the car? Lifting by one of the central front lift points actually puts a lot of stress on the car. If you lift way up front, there is a ton of leverage that must be put into the chassis to actually lift the front up.

This is my lifting procedure: I have a big, low profile jack with a 5'' round pad. So it's a large pad...not a really small pad like a small jack would have.

I pick a place on the side rail. It does not have to be the designated lip lift point. Anywhere on the pinch rail will do. Meaning anywhere between the 2 lip lift points along the sideskirt will do.

I lift from there. I put the jackstand underneath the lip lift point. Done. Then move onto the other side.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 AM

awesome thanks! just guessing but ill probably have to remove the splash guard which i dont have a problem with. so thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by kp
Some people use the oil pan to jack it up (not recommended). Some use the factory tow hooks at the front. The only place I can think of is the subframe just behind the engine, but that seems waaay too far back to reach with a floor jack. Unless you find a sweet spot on one of the suspension components up front, I think you may be out of luck.
Nobody uses the oil pan.

The subframe behind the engine? Way too far in. The trans housing and header would get in the way.

Suspension components? This car has an independent suspension. Meaning that those can move and make the jack slip. You have to get to a flat spot on the LCA. Difficult.

You can jack up a car anywhere along it's pinch rail if you have a big enough pad. Use a jack with a large pad...then use my method that I described above. I've been using it for 7 years. Flawlessly.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Nobody uses the oil pan.

The subframe behind the engine? Way too far in. The trans housing and header would get in the way.

Suspension components? This car has an independent suspension. Meaning that those can move and make the jack slip. You have to get to a flat spot on the LCA. Difficult.

You can jack up a car anywhere along it's pinch rail if you have a big enough pad. Use a jack with a large pad...then use my method that I described above. I've been using it for 7 years. Flawlessly.
Did you just repeat exactly what I had said? Oh, and thanks for making clear that suspension components move, I'm not sure what the OP would do without you.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nobody lifts up the car on the oil pan. who ever does is an idiot.

oil pan and control arms are a no no.

i dont recommend lifting by the front tow hook. you can bend the tow hook with all that weight. also no balance.

i also dont recommend lifting one side at a time. its do-able, but while lifting the second side, youre rocking the car...not stable. the jacks can fall over. not safe.

use the front radiator support frame. cant go wrong with that. follow ifIexplodes directions.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 PM

mk, just to clear up things.

The best location to lift the car is from the support frame under the radiator correct? Anyone have any pictures of that just to help me out by pinpointing it?

The reason why I ask this question is because i saw a guy doin a video of this procedure and he lifted one side and then the other. This is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Idunno. Call some people at NASA about it. It's rocket science, apparently.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Idunno. Call some people at NASA about it. It's rocket science, apparently.
lol, i would say so