Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic ex trouble starting, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic ex trouble starting, stalling

I bought this car used a few days ago off of Craigslist from a guy who gets them from auctions. The engine, wires, everything was super clean under the hood...almost too clean but exterior and interior were in great condition, too. Engine ran well, transmission shifted smoothly. Had a friend who knows a bit about cars look it over but bought it without getting a full inspection. So, yes. Off to a great start, I know. -_-
2 days after buying it (yesterday) I was driving on the freeway. Suddenly my car wasn't accelerating and my engine didn't rev when pressing the gas. This lasted two seconds then went back to normal. I got to work fine. When car wouldn't start when I went to leave work 5 hours later. It turned over fine just wouldn't start. I tried 5 times, waited ten minutes tried again. Eventually it started, but within a block it wouldn't accelerate again and died out. I tried to start it a few times, it didn't work so I waited and got it to start 5 minutes later. Made it the whole 30 miles home no problem. Once home, I turned it off and started it up successfully 4 times in a row. Today it started right up no problem, I drove it to a doctor's appointment 7 miles away. Leaving the doctor's, it started up no problem but on the way home it started dying out again, I revved the gas to try to keep it going. The check engine light flashed, and was not on before.. Pressing the gas pedal, again, caused no acceleration, no reving of the engine. The car died, I couldn't get it started for a bit. Got it going, at home I checked and found there was no oil. I thought my friend had checked that but appaprently not. (I deserve this all, I know..I'm an idiot) I put oil in it, was driving it to the mechanic, it died again and my attempts to start it seemed to kill the battery. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I don't know a mechanic where I live and am scared of getting screwed over again.

Thank You Thank You
- Lauren
Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Civic ex trouble starting, stalling

Do a full ignition system tune up - plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor.

Pull the CEL codes by jumping the service connector. You should at least find a misfire code. Post the codes.

Check the engine oil level regularly.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there was no water in the battery.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a new battery because the old one was bad but same problem came back.

unfortunately, i couldn't get the codes checked before the new battery was put in.
replaced cap & rotor, wires and plugs are all good. my neighbor couldn't get a spark from the spark wires to ground(?)
now won't start, if it does it dies out right away
Old 01-10-2016, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignition control module? U need to see what the motor is lacking. Fuel ,spark, air,timing?
Old 01-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They said it's lacking a spark. They had a screwdriver in the spark wire and nothing. This local mechanic tried replacing the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs and main relay, nothing worked. There's a CEL but I can't get that checked till tomorrow... T_T

To me, the weird thing is, it is going in and out. It worked fine for a day after I replaced the battery. After most attempts to fix it, it would start and run just fine for a bit then eventually bog out. After it bogs out I always have a hard time starting it back up. Turns over strong but won't start and if it catches, sometimes it sounds terrible. (diesel-sounding) but so far it will eventually always start.

I'm such an idiot. I feel like I got screwed really bad via craigslist but am wondering, how could someone even mickey mouse a computer (if that's what it is)? Is this just horrible timing?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Intermittent bogging out then trouble starting. Turning over hard. Will work fine for a day then keep dying out the next.
CODES thrown: Map Sensor & catalytic converter
Old 01-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the maps electrical connector is plugged in. It has a vacuum hose that is also plugged into it. You have to have both plugged in or the car will not run!!!Here's the spark flow.. cam timing>ignition control module>rotor>cap/igniters. Fix the map issue first. Guaranteed that's your problem. And for the p0420 just buy a bolt on cat.