Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic EX catalyst in CA.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic EX catalyst in CA.

At 233k miles, she runs great but, is now asking for a new catalytic converter per the check engine light.

Dealer says it's a federal car with only a single catalyst at about the center of the car (I see it bolted on at both ends along the exhaust pipe). OEM is about 1k ($670 @ magauto) and a local muffler shop said they could have an aftermarket installed for about $400.

What do you think?

I've heard the aftermarkets last only a year or two and even though the OEM comes with a 12m/12k warranty, they last much longer. This ride already had 192k when I got it so I don't know if it's the original. My guess is that it is. And if so, the OEM price is plenty with it.

​​​​​​Thanks for any insight.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 Civic EX catalyst in CA.

Originally Posted by DudeEX
At 233k miles, she runs great but, is now asking for a new catalytic converter per the check engine light.

Dealer says it's a federal car with only a single catalyst at about the center of the car (I see it bolted on at both ends along the exhaust pipe). OEM is about 1k ($670 @ magauto) and a local muffler shop said they could have an aftermarket installed for about $400.

What do you think?

I've heard the aftermarkets last only a year or two and even though the OEM comes with a 12m/12k warranty, they last much longer. This ride already had 192k when I got it so I don't know if it's the original. My guess is that it is. And if so, the OEM price is plenty with it.

​​​​​​Thanks for any insight.
im in so cal and have to smog only once per title transfer. i know when i lived in yuba county they wanted it once every 2 years. can you just get a test pipe and the defouler to get a rid of the cel and you still MIGHT be able to pass. unless when it comes to that time then put the new c.a.r.b cat on. i have a test pipe and a defouler bolted onto it ready to go. but cant get the damn cat off the exhaust, it comes off the header easily. Thats the only thing holding me back. it needs it but hasnt threw the below threshold code yet. just smells a bit like plugged cat this is all on my 2000 ex coupe
Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These things are ridiculously priced, damn!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've personally been using an aftermarket Magnaflow direct bolt on cat (california legal) for about 6years with no issues at all on my ej1. they're about $400 on eBay i think, the part # is 448630. i would install that, and not clear your check engine light, so your pcm doesn't have to set all of the other readiness monitors that you have for your other emissions systems all over again. After the pcm sees the right driving conditions to run the catalyst monitor, it will run it, see the correct pre and post cat o2 sensor fluctuation, and clear the code itself, and it will be ready to pass a smog inspection. hope i helped
Old 03-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome! Never thought about eBay. Thanks for that and suggesting I let the system clear itself, great idea! I'll do just that. Shopping for that cat continues.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome! Never thought about eBay. Thanks for that and suggesting I let the system clear itself, great idea! I'll do just that. Shopping for that cat continues.
hey so i took of my old cat today. its in good condition. i thought it was bad but it was a plugged muffler. one stud broke off the flange but if you want it if you pay for the shipping and fling me 20 its yours. from a 2000 ex coupe also im in CA 92251 look that up and find the cheapest shipper ill take some pics to show you
EDIT: I did this on my cellphone thats why the spelling is so messed up. I

Last edited by 710times; 03-29-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: fixed on PC
Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 710times
hey so i took of my old cat today. its in good condition. i thought it was bad but it was a plugged muffler. I just passed 3 months ago. one stud broke off the flange that can be taken out and use another bolt, if you want it pay for the shipping and fling me 20 and its yours. from a 2000 ex coupe also im in CA 92251 look that up and find the cheapest shipper ill take some pics to show you

Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Much appreciated but isn't that the one that smelled?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Much appreciated but isn't that the one that smelled?
It wasn't the cat. It was a plugged muffler. Thats why I was weirded out because I just passed smog with flying colors a few months ago. So yes the cat is in good condition. You can look thru it and is not plugged at all. It'll work good for smogging your car. But like I said. You stud needs to be heated up and hit out then it could be tightened down with another bolt. The other two studs are good, I put their bolts back on also so they won't be lost. If you want it let me know. Or else I'll just put it in my garage and hold onto it.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 710times
It wasn't the cat. It was a plugged muffler. Thats why I was weirded out because I just passed smog with flying colors a few months ago. So yes the cat is in good condition. You can look thru it and is not plugged at all. It'll work good for smogging your car. But like I said. You stud needs to be heated up and hit out then it could be tightened down with another bolt. The other two studs are good, I put their bolts back on also so they won't be lost. If you want it let me know. Or else I'll just put it in my garage and hold onto it.
I can't figure out the edit button on my phone for this forum. But one stud needs to be heated up then removed and it could be tightened down with another bolt. The other 2 studs are perfect with the bolts on them
Old 03-30-2017, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the thing, sorry if it's a long story. I started with random stalling, once or twice a day with no cell. One Sun it stalled 10 times and in looking into it deeper I found an SB that spoke about defective ignition switch. Being a Sun, no dealer was open. Thinking it was the electrical contacts, I got an after market harness from Riebe's. Well, crap, it brought on even more issues, AND lit up the cel for a cat.

​Longer story short, I put my original harness back in, changed the distributor with one from the wrecking yard (that fixed the stalling), and cleared my cel. First, with disconnecting the batt, it came right back. Second, with a hand held reader, it came back within 30 miles. Third, with a diagnostic tool at a smog shop, 80+ miles now and the cel is still OFF.

Yahoo.... Please hold on to it for me for just a bit.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the thing, sorry if it's a long story. I started with random stalling, once or twice a day with no cell. One Sun it stalled 10 times and in looking into it deeper I found an SB that spoke about defective ignition switch. Being a Sun, no dealer was open. Thinking it was the electrical contacts, I got an after market harness from Riebe's. Well, crap, it brought on even more issues, AND lit up the cel for a cat.

​Longer story short, I put my original harness back in, changed the distributor with one from the wrecking yard (that fixed the stalling), and cleared my cel. First, with disconnecting the batt, it came right back. Second, with a hand held reader, it came back within 30 miles. Third, with a diagnostic tool at a smog shop, 80+ miles now and the cel is still OFF.

Yahoo.... Please hold on to it for me for just a bit.
that's weird that the cel kept coming back when clearing it then it doesn't come on with the shop scanner. Sounds super weird. It wouldn't normally come back on. What was the code it was throwing when it would come back on. And as for the smog if it's been off for more than 80 miles with a couple of normal driving cycles then you'll be find to go and smog it. I would do it asap before it comes back. If the readiness monitors are not ready the they will tell you at the smog shop, they won't charge anything then because they wouldn't have did anything but basically check the ecu for codes. But if you do need it then I will save it.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well crap ola, it's on again. Like before, it's a P0420. Thanks a bunch for the offer, I sent you a pm.

Last edited by DudeEX; 03-30-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, that cat I got from 710times was trash. I ended up paying a muffler shop to install an aftermarket for $175 plus $100 labor.