Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1997 Civic DX Clutch Sound?

Old 02-15-2017, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Civic DX Clutch Sound?

So I just bought a 1997 Civic Coupe DX, when I start it in the morning and release the clutch it makes a buzzing sound and goes away once the car warms up, while its cold and I press the clutch in the sound goes away? I talked to a mechanic and he said the clutch might need to be replaced soon, I just want to make sure that's correct. Also when I first bought it I cleaned it out and found a paper from a shop that he took it to and the write-up side the clutch master cylinder had no fluid, it said to fill and bleed. How do I make sure the previous owner did that?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1997 Civic DX Clutch Sound?

Sounds like a failing input shaft bearing. See:

Notice how replacing the throwout bearing (part of a standard clutch job) didn't fix the noise. Control-f and search for "input shaft bearing" in the comments section and note all of the comments explaining the cause of the noise as due to the input shaft bearing.

Also see:

DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$) - Honda Civic Forum
Old 02-16-2017, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes this sounds like the very common input shaft bearing problem. How many miles? The input shaft bearing is going to go at around 150,000 miles. Replace it, and the rest of the transmission can last a long time.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Yes this sounds like the very common input shaft bearing problem. How many miles? The input shaft bearing is going to go at around 150,000 miles. Replace it, and the rest of the transmission can last a long time.
Ya mine has 213k on the cluster...
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicservice
Sounds like a failing input shaft bearing. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeo_Rm0O3gs

Notice how replacing the throwout bearing (part of a standard clutch job) didn't fix the noise. Control-f and search for "input shaft bearing" in the comments section and note all of the comments explaining the cause of the noise as due to the input shaft bearing.

Also see:

DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$) - Honda Civic Forum
So I just watched the video, should I replace all the things he did and the input shaft bearing? Also, the input shaft was that tube-like thing sticking out of the inside of the transmission housing right?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, could someone help me out with my last question?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, got another question. I noticed the rattling/spinning/ whatever noise only begins when the clutch is realeased half-way, still an input shaft bearing? Looked through some threads and can't find any that describe any of this well. Also, can not replacing it soon enough cause damage? It doesn't seem to effect shifing.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Pro-Tip: If you hear the noise with the clutch in, most likely it's going to be the throwout bearing. If it makes noise with the clutch out (and goes away when you push the clutch pedal), most likely it's the input shaft bearing.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...vents-3290093/
See my "Refresh Thread"
In the case of my 94 EH9, the car made a hellacious noise in gear with the clutch released. My throwout bearing was fine, but I replaced it while the trans was out. My clutch wasn't making noise, but a couple of the intertia springs on the clutch disk had broken from their perches and wouldn't allow the car to be shifted.
In my opinion, based on your issues (and the mileage) I would go ahead and pull the clutch. If it completely wears out, the car won't move. Do yourself a favor and swap it before it becomes a real issue. And while the trans is out, definitely change the input shaft bearing (it's very easy) and the input shaft seal. Don't forget the pilot bearing!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You're going to have to take it apart...
Old 04-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace everything​. Tranny is out. Rear main seal while you're at it. Oil pan gasket if its leaky. Get exedy oem replacement kit, comes with everything u need. Clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A note on the pilot bearing, that bearing only goes in from one side of the flywheel. I thought the Exedy kit came with the wrong bearing for a sec because i was trying to install from the wrong side...

Last edited by middletons; 04-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
Pro-Tip: If you hear the noise with the clutch in, most likely it's going to be the throwout bearing. If it makes noise with the clutch out (and goes away when you push the clutch pedal), most likely it's the input shaft bearing.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...vents-3290093/
See my "Refresh Thread"
In the case of my 94 EH9, the car made a hellacious noise in gear with the clutch released. My throwout bearing was fine, but I replaced it while the trans was out. My clutch wasn't making noise, but a couple of the intertia springs on the clutch disk had broken from their perches and wouldn't allow the car to be shifted.
In my opinion, based on your issues (and the mileage) I would go ahead and pull the clutch. If it completely wears out, the car won't move. Do yourself a favor and swap it before it becomes a real issue. And while the trans is out, definitely change the input shaft bearing (it's very easy) and the input shaft seal. Don't forget the pilot bearing!
Ya, I did some more in depth research last night and I'm certain it's the isb. Probably doesn't help that the clutch is getting down to it's last couple months or so. I'm gonna baby the car until the summer and replace anything and everything that needs it. Thanks for your help, i'll definitely visit your thread.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
Replace everything​. Tranny is out. Rear main seal while you're at it. Oil pan gasket if its leaky. Get exedy oem replacement kit, comes with everything u need. Clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing.
Replace everything? What do you mean tranny is out? I thought all I needed was a new isb and clutch + flywheel? My tranny shifts fine other than the shifter bushings are worn. Goes into every gear with no grinds or pop-outs.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You're going to have to take it apart...
It is what it is, great project for me and my friend. His dad passed a couple years ago and left him behind a 97 dx like mine except a hatch. He used it as a show car and put sub walls in it and bed lined all the interior for sound proofing. Difference is, his only has 44,000 miles and his dad bought it off the showroom for back in 97. I'm crazy jealous.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by middletons
A note on the pilot bearing, that bearing only goes in from one side of the flywheel. I thought the Exedy kit came with the wrong bearing for a sec...
So does the Exedy kit come with the pilot bearing or do I buy it separate?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to drop the transmission to do the clutch and the ISB, so look at the other things mentioned while its easy to get to them. also have a look at your axles and boots while they are out.

yes, kit comes with everything except the flywheel, which will need resurfacing, cleaning, or replacing depending on how worn it is.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by middletons
you have to drop the transmission to do the clutch and the ISB, so look at the other things mentioned while its easy to get to them. also have a look at your axles and boots while they are out.

yes, kit comes with everything except the flywheel, which will need resurfacing, cleaning, or replacing depending on how worn it is.
I was looking around the engine bay a couple days ago and noticed one of my boots are ripped so thats gonna have to be replaced. I just want to know if the bad isb will cause any damage to the rest of the tranny because its my daily to school so im gonna have to wait until summer to do the work. I'll just replace the flywheel for my own peace of mind.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump
Old 04-07-2017, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From my limited research, I've read that the bad bearings can damage the shafts if it gets real bad.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree. Seems like an input shaft bearing issue to me.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a friend who has a EX, he said his is to the point where it knocks when the clutch is out. I think that is when it can start damaging the shaft. Hopefully by this summer it won't get to that point.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Just think... whenever the clutch pedal is out with the engine running, whether you're moving or not, the input shaft (main shaft) is turning at the same RPM as the engine. The bearing noise will get worse if you don't replace it, and WILL eventually cause catastrophic failure in your transmission... and probably the engine too. Don't risk it, just replace the bearing and move on! Once you remove the trans once or twice, it'll become second-nature. My second time pulling the trans took me all of an hour. And another hour to reinstall once the bearing was replaced. And I haven't had a problem since. When I bought my exedy clutch kit and flywheel (for my 94 EH9), I ordered a pilot bearing just in case, but the flywheel already had one installed. Amazon Prime is your friend. Use it, love it.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
Just think... whenever the clutch pedal is out with the engine running, whether you're moving or not, the input shaft (main shaft) is turning at the same RPM as the engine. The bearing noise will get worse if you don't replace it, and WILL eventually cause catastrophic failure in your transmission... and probably the engine too. Don't risk it, just replace the bearing and move on! Once you remove the trans once or twice, it'll become second-nature. My second time pulling the trans took me all of an hour. And another hour to reinstall once the bearing was replaced. And I haven't had a problem since. When I bought my exedy clutch kit and flywheel (for my 94 EH9), I ordered a pilot bearing just in case, but the flywheel already had one installed. Amazon Prime is your friend. Use it, love it.
Haha, will do. Thanks for the info! Are input shafts replaceable? Or would I be better of buying another ex tranny instead of replacing the input shaft on the y8 swap if its damaged?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If the shaft breaks you're better off swapping the whole transmission (and put a new bearing in that used one before installing). Also if you drive until complete failure, you're stranded on the road needing a tow.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
If the shaft breaks you're better off swapping the whole transmission (and put a new bearing in that used one before installing). Also if you drive until complete failure, you're stranded on the road needing a tow.
Alright, thanks for the help. Don't think im gonna buy the engine and tranny off my friend, to many problems.