Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 del sol first time auto to manual swap and I feel so lost

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 del sol first time auto to manual swap and I feel so lost

Hey everyone! I'm completely new to doing any swap of any kind on a honda just putting that out there real quick. So first off I have a 93 del sol which the auto trans has decided to give out after a generous 210,000 miles and have decided to swap it for a manual instead of rebuilding it. It's an Si model with a D16Z6 vtec motor and a auto p28 ecu. Today I picked up a s20 manual trans with a p06 manual ecu for 300. Can I install the trans and plug in the p06-a02 ecu and it simply work? Or since the engine is a vtec will the p06 not active the vtec and I'll have to chip the p06 myself? How would I go about tuning that for my D16Z6? I literally have no knowledge of chipping, tuning odb and other acronyms for terms referring to items or parts on a transmission swap. So when reading a guide I get kinda turned around on a few things. I know basically what I need I will need for the swap for the del sol. Shift linkage from a manual del sol, clutch and plate, flywheel, manual flywheel bolts, manual starter, a hasport mount/bracket, clutch assembly(no idea what needs to be connected to the assembly for the del sol or what it would be called exactly) and the slave cylinder(?). Yes, my honda I.Q. is low lol but I want to learn more for just the del sol specifically. Sorry for such a long and probably repeating post but thank you for who ever reads it and replies.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 1993 del sol first time auto to manual swap and I feel so lost

Your engine wont run correctly using the P06 without it being chipped, mapped and such...It would be easier to simply convert your Auto P28 to a manual...if you have basic soldering skills, its about 15 minutes work.

That being said, with you being new to all things honda swap...you should start by going HERE in the FAQS, the how-to's in there are extremely detailed, and any gaps in the process can be filled in via google.

List: Manual Trans, Master and Slave clutch cylinders, complete clutch kit, flywheel, complete clutch line/hose system, manual pedal set, shift linkage and the dust boots that accompany it, Manual starter WITH the proper mounting bolts for it, flywheel and pressure plate bolts, conversion mount, clutch sw. and starter cut relay system that you will either have to fabricate or pull from a manual civic/del sol, you will also need to fabricate a cover plate(s) for the auto shifter gaping hole to fit the much smaller manual shift linkage assy, front trans mount with bolts, trans inspection plate and bolts, for reverse lights and cruise ctrl you will have to do some rewiring and will need the cruise ctrl clutch pedal switch (also the brake sw. for cruise if you dont already), and various other hardware (proper trans bolts, mount bolts...etc.) and if you want to be thorough, you should also get the proper manual version engine stiffeners...only one of your auto stiffeners will work, the other wont line up and isnt available from honda anymore. And you'll have to acquire or fabricate appropriate ground straps. I'm sure ive forgotten one or two things, but youll find better lists in the FAQS, section 7c.

When you DO get to the wiring phase, i created a visual layout guide for auto to manual swaps..you can find the link in my signature.

PS. while youre at it, you should check your rear main oil seal...its likely that youll want to replace it while the trans is out...better than what I did by doing the swap, and finding out a month later that my rear main went just after the swap.

Last edited by MisereNoire; 02-22-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome thank you MisereNoire and thank you for the redirect. Been so nerve wracked with trying to figure this and that out but with people saying you could do this or that at the exact same time lol
Old 02-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's one other question I forgot to ask and that is if I do have to chip an ecu where can I buy the chips. That are legit chips, not rip off eBay fakes
Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some pics from my own swap that was done roughly 2 years ago, You'll notice I also opted to recondition and paint my engine bay...not necessary, but it makes a big difference. And on a side-note, I wouldnt recommend XTD clutch products as they seem to have a high failure rate based on threads ive read, but I also seem to have gotten lucky, mine has yet to exhibit any problems. I hope the flood of images isnt too much, and I dont intend this as a thread-jack of any sort...I just hope the visual cues will help you along. Good luck man.

Full engine/trans pull.

didnt realize my rear main was bad at this point...regret not doing it then.

Flywheel on

clutch kit installed.

trans bolted up with clutch fork installed and all parts correctly lubed.

Notice the clutch hydraulic hard line installed on the firewall and passenger side frame rail.

Had to make the hard line bracket on the left side of the hose...couldnt source an oem bracket at the time. still havent changed it...i prefer the stainless.

notice the gaping holes the auto assembly leaves behind.

starter cut relay loom i had to make.

and the cruise ctrl clutch cut harness.

here are the blocking plates I made. You can also see the auto shifter harness You'll have to rewire...i used the original connector from the auto shifter and rewired through it so I didnt have to cut any original wires on the cabin harness.

You can see the conversion mount and the clutch hard line here.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nozzy93
There's one other question I forgot to ask and that is if I do have to chip an ecu where can I buy the chips. That are legit chips, not rip off eBay fakes
IF you want to chip the P06, which is harder than converting the P28, I would recommend phearable.net if it's still up and running if you just want a simple basemap chip. but I would totally go with converting the P28...remove 2 or 3 resistors and replace one with a jumper wire...done deal. No CEL and VTEC will be intact.

One other thing...when you do this, make sure you have EVERY part you need ahead of time, double check your list for completion like your life depends on it..go to hondaautomotiveparts.com (best new oem parts source IMO) and go over the parts diagrams if you have to....if you end up having to run out and get things left and right, itll make this project no fun at all. Thorough prep will make this enjoyable, and thats how it should be.

Last edited by MisereNoire; 02-22-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think I'm going to go with the p28. Don't know what to do with the p06 now though lol. Oh yeah I have a friend that has a B18 in his delsol and he's saying that the p28 was chipped wrong and needs to be re-tuned or something. She acts up past 5k rpm and is very temperamental. Btw that engine looked beautifully clean. Mine has that rustic old grease look going for it lol