Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

120k maintenance on 95 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120k maintenance on 95 Civic EX

I have an upcoming 120k maintenance on my vehicle. It's currently over 119874.

I normally take my car to Firestone for an oil change every 5000 miles. Transmission flush at 113k. Timing belt/water pump was replaced at 115k. Oil/filter change, brake fluid flush, wheel alignment, and NGK spark plugs replaced at 116k but the spark plug wire set hasn't been replaced. K&N air filter installed at 118k.

My owner's manual lists the following for the 120k:

Replace engine oil and oil filter (Replace every 7,500 miles or 6 months)
Check engine oil and coolant (Check oil and coolant at each fuel stop)
Replace air cleaner element (air filter)
Inspect valve clearance
Replace spark plugs
Inspect distributor cap, rotor, and ignition wires
Inspect and adjust drive belts
Inspect idle speed
Inspect PCV valve
Replace transmission fluid
Inspect front and rear brakes
Replace brake fluid (including ABS)
Check parking brake adjustment
Rotate tires (Check tire inflation and condition at least once per month. Rotate every 7,500 miles.)
Replace ABS high pressure hose

Visually inspect the following items:
Brake hose and lines
All fluid levels
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Suspension components
Driveshaft boots
Cooling system hoses and connections
Exhaust system
Fuel pipes, hoses, and connections

Inspect supplemental restraint system (10 years after production)

Aside from the items listed above is there anything else I should do. The car seems to run great but I'm a bit of a car novice. I noticed the car sometimes shifts a little hard (it's an automatic). On http://consumerguideauto.howst...2.htm it mentions automatic transmissions with high mileage may begin to shift more harshly, which may be corrected by adding a bottle of Lubeguard conditioner to the automatic-transmission fluid. I haven't been able to locate that particular brand or find a suitable replacement.

Firestone suggested I do a fuel system tuneup 120k service for $89 which uses the Wynns fuel service kit to "chemically clean throttle body, throttle plate and air intake bore." I don't know if this service is needed.

There's no mention of replacing the fuel filter or oxygen sensor (read that it might need to be replaced when getting poor gas mileage or a check engine light comes on) in the manual and I'm getting about 30 MPG on average. Should I consider replacing the fuel filter?

Additional info about the car: It has a salvage title. Purchased from a body shop owner. The rear trailing arm and bushings were replaced. At an independent shop specializing in only Japanese cars, they identified the following items: Both front upper ball joint boots, both front lower ball joint boots and both outer tie rod end boots severely cracked and dryrotted. Recommend replacing before splitting open and ruining parts. B-pipe bent. Recommend replacing. I had another shop and Firestone tell me that the bent b-pipe is just "cosmetic" damage and the other items weren't critical as they were normal wear and tear for a 13 year old car.

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm a car newbie and didn't get my license until 23, so I'm slowly picking stuff up.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just keep followin whats in ur manual and u should be fine, it covers just about everything..fuel filters and o2 sensors rarely get replaced unless a check engine light comes relating to it and u might need to replace them in order to fix it...