Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LOSING OIL!! WHERE FROM??? HELP!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOSING OIL!! WHERE FROM??? HELP!

my 95 civic LX is still losing oil. Few weeks back, found a nice hole in the exhaust valve. ordered a reman head (new valves, seals, springs, cam, rocker arms..) and slapped her on. drove 400 miles to get home and lost almost all my oil. After a few days of diagnosing, had a bad internal seal in the distributor. oil was leaking out the vent and i was losing lots of oil. fixed that and drove back to school to find out that I lost a quart of oil after going 250 miles. it wasnt coming from distributor. check all around the engine and some seepage from oil pan but i dont think enough for me to lose a quart that fast. I dropped the pan a two weeks ago to fish out a dropped feeler gauge and had to use the old pan gasket. could it be leaking more while driving? or am i just burning it through the rings?

Car has 205,000 miles on it. D15B7.

added some lucas oil for now.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: LOSING OIL!! WHERE FROM??? HELP!

spray any dirty areas with brake parts cleaner so it's easier to tell. 2nd do a wet compression test to see what you numbers are.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cameronfrench92
I dropped the pan a two weeks ago to fish out a dropped feeler gauge and had to use the old pan gasket. could it be leaking more while driving?
Both are possible, further investigation is required though.
As mentioned, spray brake cleaner around the gasket, drive around a bit.

Oil pan gaskets are ones that when I remove it, I generally replace it, also, triple check you torqued the bolts properly.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bro!!! I was going nucking futs with a crazy oil leak I couldnt find. It was all over my tranny, front of the engine, back of the engine, trickled onto the oil pan and exhaust! I'd lose about a quart every month and then at its worst, every week. I replaced the o-ring around the dizzy and confirmed my head gasket and valve cover gasket was fine. Turns out it was the freakin VTEC solenoid gasket (between the solenoid and the head itself). I went ahead and replaced the body gasket on the solenoid too. Problem solved! These are dealer gaskets only....I dont have the part #'s on me but search the forum.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP's car is non VTEC. Id Do a compresion test and clean the block up real good to find where it is coming from.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Trial User

usually people dont replace seals, therefore it causes oil to leak. have you ever done a compression test? to see if rings are good? but yeah try replacing rear main seal, valve cover gasket distributor o ring, cam gear seal, and crank shaft seal people dont ever change those when they replace your water pump and timing belt.