Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No start condition after stupid attempted starts without basemap- what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start condition after stupid attempted starts without basemap- what can I do?

I got my basemap in from Xenocron tuning. We tried starting the car with no basemap and no turbo before sending the ECU out, and I think I've flooded it. Spark plugs are black which indicates spark (I think?), I'm definitely getting fuel, probably too much. Would there be any reason why I wouldn't be getting air? Or lack of compression? When I crank it, it sounds "lumpy" and isn't the constant "click click click", more like "click.. click click... click click...".

Should I try jumping the battery?

Edit: Attempted jumping the battery with my van, it'll crank normally until the battery light turns on, then it'll sound uneven and lumpy again. It's not flooded, I disconnected the injectors and cranked until there was no smoke (bad I know).

I really don't know what to do.

Last edited by FakeVtecSticker; 07-05-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: No start condition after stupid attempted starts without basemap- what can I do?

Charge the battery with an AC powered charger to bring it to full capacity.

Plugs with a lot of black stuff on them could be "fouled out" and not spark well or at all. Try new plugs, or put your plugs in a car that works, start it up if it will and take a short drive to burn the stuff off.

Compression test is always a good idea if you don't know the condition of the engine. If the valves are too tight you may have no compression in one or more cylinders leading to "lumpy" turnover and difficult or no starting.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No start condition after stupid attempted starts without basemap- what can I do?

Originally Posted by mk378
Charge the battery with an AC powered charger to bring it to full capacity.

Plugs with a lot of black stuff on them could be "fouled out" and not spark well or at all. Try new plugs, or put your plugs in a car that works, start it up if it will and take a short drive to burn the stuff off.

Compression test is always a good idea if you don't know the condition of the engine. If the valves are too tight you may have no compression in one or more cylinders leading to "lumpy" turnover and difficult or no starting.

We cleaned the plugs when they were out today so they're not very dirty at all, they're brand new as well. I had good compression prior to turbo install.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

verify mechanical timing, check compression.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
verify mechanical timing, check compression.

Started today! for 5 seconds, then it flooded out. Good thing I ordered a FPR, I think that'll fix the issue (wayyy too much fuel). Checked ignition timing, vacuum lines, and sensor clips, and hooked up compression tester. It wanted to start with the tester in, so we threw in the spark plug and she went until sputtering out.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

The car should not want to start during a compression test. Fuel and spark should both be disabled during the test. Did you verify mechanical timing?
Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car should not want to start during a compression test. Fuel and spark should both be disabled during the test. Did you verify mechanical timing?

Yeah, we were dumb and disabled neither. Mechanical timing is good.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

For a compression test, first you would take all the spark plugs out so the engine will spin faster.

Then disable the ignition by unplugging the harness plugs from the distributor. That is very important on a Civic because the coil is prone to blow if you fire it into an open circuit (spark wire(s) unplugged).

Unplugging the distributor also prevents any fuel from being injected because without pulses from the distributor, the ECU thinks the engine is not turning.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
For a compression test, first you would take all the spark plugs out so the engine will spin faster.

Then disable the ignition by unplugging the harness plugs from the distributor. That is very important on a Civic because the coil is prone to blow if you fire it into an open circuit (spark wire(s) unplugged).

Unplugging the distributor also prevents any fuel from being injected because without pulses from the distributor, the ECU thinks the engine is not turning.
Oh, I was actually working with a kid who went to school at Penn Tech for 2 years to be a mechanic yesterday, I didn't look up how to do a compression test because I just figured he knew what he was doing... That's on me.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

How long did you crank the car?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
How long did you crank the car?
No more than 5 seconds, afraid to mess up the starter.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tested fuel pressure today, 50 PSI when cranking. I think this is my issue. I know FP would lower when the car is running with a vacuum signal, but 50 is way high. Good thing new FPR is coming tomorrow. Sound like it might be the issue to you? Would make sense since we checked literally everything else.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

where did you measure the pressure at?
Old 07-10-2017, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you measure the pressure at?
Fuel filter, I think. Mounted to the firewall, 1 banjo bolt