Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

[FAQ] Sea Foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sea foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day.

well.. i just got in some 450's the other day, and i went outside to see how hard it would be to ream out the bottom gasket that sits inside the manifold, and i was disturbed...

so i deffenetly have a build up problem... even though the timming belt, and the water pump has been changed.. my D15Z1 with 230,000 miles has seen better days..

so i figure, why not give "sea foam" a try..

the supplys.. on the left.. sea foam, and on the right. "deep creep" for the TB and manifold.

just breifly.. the instructions say to pour 1/3 the can through the brake booster hose..

and the rest of the 2/3 can into the crankcase.

when you pour it into the brake booster line.. man does it smoke.. if you go slow... its not that bad.. but if you really pour it in, it wants to stall, so i took it nice and slow.

this is about the time i started to hit the manifold and TB with the deep creep.. i sprayed it liberally, and alot... got it all around the TB butterfly, and tried to hit the injectors.. but who knows..

so.. after running it around town.. i pulled it back in to take a look at the plugs.. not to bad.. funk around the base, near the guide seals.. but i think it was just build up.. who knows..

ok, now the scary part.. hahah.. time to drop the oil a day later.

just currious, i pulled the valve cover, and it deffenetly doesn't look new.. but im sure alot better..

this is a day after the oil change.

and if your interested.. a 19 second 6.8meg MPEG of how much the car smokes when pouring that stuff into the brake line and pretty much the same effect on the deep creep in the TB and manifold.

http://www.typegsr.x10hosting....d.mpg (right click, save as)

ohh.. and i got a wild hair and changed my cap and rotor.. lol

so.. all in all.. im really glad i sea foam'ed my bucket... along with other testemonies.. REV's are really smooth, and seams to me that the idles even out alot quicker. hell.. next oil change.. or near it.. i might do it again..

all i know is its time for my 450's.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sea foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day. (Built B16A)

nice . i still need to try this stuff.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:51 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: sea foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day. (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

nice pictures man!

i love the foam!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:56 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: sea foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day. (Built B16A)

nice I need to try this.

Do you have any pictures of where you spray'd the Deep Creep?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the Deep Creep also on my friend's cars, one H22 and one Y8. I pulled the intake off and sprayed directy into the TB. This is cuz the first time I did this, I just inserted the spray extension through a opening in the Intake and after spraying the whole bottle, look down to realize that it all just leaked down to the filter .

Built B16A-Do you think there's a real difference between the regular seafoam and deep creep? I wanna know if I should do it again with the regular.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:29 AM

Good writeup and good pics! I've read a lot about Seafoam and this is the best before/after post that I've seen. Thanks for taking the time!

I'd also like to see some shots of the intake mani before and after if you have them.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Knightmare69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knightmare69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Built B16A-Do you think there's a real difference between the regular seafoam and deep creep? I wanna know if I should do it again with the regular. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hell yeah, when you pour the regular **** down the brake booster hose, i doubt it really makes all that much differance in the manifold, i think its main perpouse is to clean the combustion chamber.

when you use the deep creap, it has a straw, so you can really get it in there.. and its more of a TB cleaner.. but i bent the straw, and tried to aim it at the injectors, we'll see in a few days, i'll pull the injectors again.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by axhandler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good writeup and good pics! I've read a lot about Seafoam and this is the best before/after post that I've seen. Thanks for taking the time!

I'd also like to see some shots of the intake mani before and after if you have them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i'll do some follow up pics.. don't worry guys.

im surprised im not getting flamed for the fry/funnel yet... hehe
Old 11-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Built B16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hell yeah, when you pour the regular **** down the brake booster hose, i doubt it really makes all that much differance in the manifold, i think its main perpouse is to clean the combustion chamber.

when you use the deep creap, it has a straw, so you can really get it in there.. and its more of a TB cleaner.. but i bent the straw, and tried to aim it at the injectors, we'll see in a few days, i'll pull the injectors again.....

yeah, i'll do some follow up pics.. don't worry guys.

im surprised im not getting flamed for the fry/funnel yet... hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice job with the pictures and all. See? McDonalds is good for something after all.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool i need to try that stuff
Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: sea foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day. (Phantastic)

Good stuff
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sea foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day. (BauleyCivic)

Where can I get both seafoam cans?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 AM

i tried to stop eating mcdonalds but that stuff... just look how it comes in handy sometimes. place it just too convenient. man your oil looked so gross after the seafoam
Old 11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sea foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day. (EBP-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EBP-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where can I get both seafoam cans?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i got both of them at Napa.. not sure if autozone has them.. but for sure, theyre was like 6 of each at napa.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue2ksi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man your oil looked so gross after the seafoam</TD></TR></TABLE>
and this was after 2500 miles.. i changed it 500 miles early... this is a main reason why im a main beliver now..

keep in mind... my hatch has 230K.. lol, thats alot more than the average honda, so kick that around.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:45 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

hell yeah man, u know to change your oil after useing sea foam right? thins out the oil.. have u done a compression test on that motor? thats vx right? and i was wondering how it is being boosted at 230K keep it up!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

yeah.. i changed it 1 day after, and i drove it everywhere on sea foam... you could smell it. i would imagine about 50-75 miles.. then i changed it.. and well, you see the results.

and no compression #'s yet.. hehe, and yes, its a boosted VX at 6 PSI. after i get uberdata tunned, i'll hit the dyno.. soon after, i'll go JDM D15B.. i just wanted to see what this VX is really worth.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:05 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

hell yeah man, thats a good idea, use this motor as long as u can a boost it for fun, Cant wait to see some Dyno numbers.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Trial User

nice, i think i may do that this weekend
Old 11-18-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: (Type_gsR)

If you install a catch can now, you wouldn't need to clean it again would you?
Old 11-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wilsel)

im turbo with a breather filter.. a catch can at this point really would'nt matter.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:16 AM

I'm trying to use this foam. I hear you can use your PCV vaccum hose to suck some of that foam in... From which end would i do it? from the pcv valve side or the manifold side. Also... i heard you can put this in your gas tank... is that a good idea?&gt; And how nessesarry is the oil change right after that foam cleaning. Please help!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:27 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (ZexyAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZexyAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And how nessesarry is the oil change right after that foam cleaning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

very, it thins out the oil.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:08 PM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im surprised im not getting flamed for the fry/funnel yet... hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah what's with that funnel? J/K

Good info on the deep creap. I've been using seafoam for a while and wanted to use something to clean my TB.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jbs)

when i get back from the HT meet in Torrance this weekend.. (info in my sig) i'll be pulling the injectors again to take a peak.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:18 PM

looks nice

time to do mine

i saw at autozone that it cost $4.99 each bottle.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: (intezn)

Nice write up!!

Have one ? with all the sea foam usage going on here. I know this stuff is used to clean out the carbon buildup inside the motor, but where does it go. I can see it going out the exhaust or in theory. I have a weird feeling that is just collecting in the cat. My ride has 127,000 on it and thinking of doing a can. Also have a fairly new exhaust on the car and don't want to clog up the cat. Has anyone done this with an open header to see what all comes out??

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Sea Foam.. worked for me. many pics.. 56K maybe on a good day.