Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

*NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 *NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

I'm baaaaack with more of the D16y8 Auto-to-Manual problems. This time it's a no CRANK... Let me emphasize. No CRANK. Every time I search for related threads I get nothing but no START problems and I'm not that far yet haha.

I've got all the plugs on the harness run correctly (I think). Every plug seemed to fall back into place naturally like they're supposed to, except the plugs for the auto tranny obviously. When I put the battery and the ECU in and put the key in the ignition the dash lights up and it gives the trademark beeps but when I go to crank the engine over the radiator fan just comes on. No clicks from starter or relays, no stutters - nothing but the fan. When I release the key from the III position the fan stops and the silence continues. Could I have missed a ground cable or accidentally goofed up when I reconnected all of the plugs? Anyone got a detailed list of ground cables so I can double check that they're all there and bolted up? If it doesn't sound like a ground problem to you guys, what could it be? Someone said that I might have messed up on the plugs for the starter, but they all seemed to go on the same as they did before the swap. Would it possibly be a problem with the ECU/Engine mixture? I know 96-98 is OBD2a and 99-00 are OBD2b. I have a P2P-A12 D16y8 M-T ECU hooked up to an '00 automatic harness on a 96-98 engine because I blew the original engine and swapped it for a used one.

As I mentioned in the other threads - this is my first swap so be merciful on my ignorance of the topic. I come for advice, not the be a bother. I absolutely MUST get this swap done. I'm in a bit of a pickle because my gf's parents bought her the car and I blew the engine so it's my responsibility to make it run again. I've put a lot of money into buying the parts and I feel like I'm so close to the finish. I'm getting desperate so I would be willing to paypal some cash to someone who can walk me through this if that's your thing. I also have a high-res camera and can take pictures if needed.

Last edited by DarkDaysX6; 07-19-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

Check thermostat ground.. Not sure on the 2000 model but there may be a grounding strap on the transmission make sure they are cleaned and tighten down check battery cable as well as the starter connection. If still nothing id go over every thing plug and make sure they fastened correctly especially the ones on the shocker tower. I am leaning towards a ground or bad connection problem.

If you suspect the clips are all correct and grounding isnt a issue you could try turning the key on and jumping the starter just to see... Although this may not be the best idea
Old 07-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you connect the G3 transmission ground and the G101 ground on the thermostat housing?

Is the starter switch located at the top of the clutch pedal wired up properly?
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: *NO CRANK* on a 96-98 D16y8 sitting in a 2000 Civic EX

Originally Posted by DarkDaysX6
I'm baaaaack with more of the D16y8 Auto-to-Manual problems. This time it's a no CRANK... Let me emphasize. No CRANK. Every time I search for related threads I get nothing but no START problems and I'm not that far yet haha.

I've got all the plugs on the harness run correctly (I think). Every plug seemed to fall back into place naturally like they're supposed to, except the plugs for the auto tranny obviously. When I put the battery and the ECU in and put the key in the ignition the dash lights up and it gives the trademark beeps but when I go to crank the engine over the radiator fan just comes on. No clicks from starter or relays, no stutters - nothing but the fan. When I release the key from the III position the fan stops and the silence continues. Could I have missed a ground cable or accidentally goofed up when I reconnected all of the plugs? Anyone got a detailed list of ground cables so I can double check that they're all there and bolted up? If it doesn't sound like a ground problem to you guys, what could it be? Someone said that I might have messed up on the plugs for the starter, but they all seemed to go on the same as they did before the swap. Would it possibly be a problem with the ECU/Engine mixture? I know 96-98 is OBD2a and 99-00 are OBD2b. I have a P2P-A12 D16y8 M-T ECU hooked up to an '00 automatic harness on a 96-98 engine because I blew the original engine and swapped it for a used one.

As I mentioned in the other threads - this is my first swap so be merciful on my ignorance of the topic. I come for advice, not the be a bother. I absolutely MUST get this swap done. I'm in a bit of a pickle because my gf's parents bought her the car and I blew the engine so it's my responsibility to make it run again. I've put a lot of money into buying the parts and I feel like I'm so close to the finish. I'm getting desperate so I would be willing to paypal some cash to someone who can walk me through this if that's your thing. I also have a high-res camera and can take pictures if needed.
alright here are the pics of the ground wires on the ek civic

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%2A%2A%2A-basics-no-start-diagnosis-101-%2A%2A%2A-1992733/

and ^^ is a link of some tips for no starting.. i know ya said there is nothing but hopefully it helps!!
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thanks for all the replies guys (and possibly gals). I can't wait until I get off work tomorrow to check all of this out in the daylight. I know for sure that I have the ground on the AC, Thermostat housing, and valve cover bolted down but I don't recall seeing one on the trans. That's probably what I'm missing. G2 in the diagram goes from the frame by the driver's side headlight to the Power Steering area, right? If so then I have that one bolted down too. I got the new y8 block and the manual trans together and they were stripped of all sensors so I'm sure he took the trans ground cable too. I normally wouldn't have bought something that was so stripped but the crank was smooth as butter and internals looked good, coupled with the fact that it's the only y8 I could find within a couple hundred miles. That missing ground cable is just one MORE thing I have to buy/create now haha. The diagrams are definitely a help. Where do you guys get these? Whenever I attempt to google them I get nothing. Maybe I don't know the correct terminology to search for.

As far as the switches on the clutch pedal go, I don't have either of those wired because I just took the old sliding switch off of the automatic shifter and plugged it up under the center console to trick the car into thinking it's in park so it won't keep the key. Someone told me that would work to avoid wiring the clutch safety switch too but they could definitely be wrong about that. I'm guessing that could also have a bit to do with this?

Last edited by DarkDaysX6; 07-19-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Had more to add.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use a test light or a voltmeter and check whether you are getting battery voltage to the starter terminals. Check the end of the big black wire. It should be energized all the time. Check the solenoid signal wire(blk/wht wire) while the key is switched to start. Do you get battery voltage? If not, check underhood fuse 41(80a) and fuse 42(40A).
#3 - If both fuse are ok, run a small piece of wire from the starter power wire(blk) to the solenoid terminal. Does the starter click or spin?
If it doesnt do anything, get a jumper cable and hook up one end to the battery negative terminal and the other to the starter housing. Repeat procedure #3
Start from these test and post your results
Old 07-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry it took so long to reply, everyone. It ended up being the missing transmission ground. I did some digging around in the old AT parts and found a ground on the automatic transmission from the last engine. Bolted it down and it cranked right up on the first try. So this swap is a complete success. I'll post pics of the finished product soon. Thanks for all the help and diagrams.