Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Maintenance Intervals on the Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Intervals on the Sport?

The wife and I just put our third civic in the driveway, an Aegean Blue Civic Hatch Sport 6sp (forget that CVT nonsense). My civic collect now spans 25 years as it sits next to my 92 CX Lucky wife gets this to DD and i stick to my tried and true 99ex 5sp 4 door as my DD slug.

Anyway, i am trying to track down a simple mileage base schedule index of when items are changes based on the mileage and all i am seeming to find is basically that the car will tell me when it wants things changed based on a A,B, 0123... basis. Does such a document exist or do i really have to plan at the whim of the ecu telling me what to replace and when?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maintenance Intervals on the Sport?

so many factors are calculated by the ECM , same car would act differently if you were in boston or California
The onboard computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary
Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kotomoto
so many factors are calculated by the ECM , same car would act differently if you were in boston or California
The onboard computer system in your vehicle continuously monitors the engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient temperature, time and the vehicle use. The system will count down the vehicles oil life based on these conditions to determine when an engine oil change and maintenance is necessary
Trust me I am aware of the ECU's function. There is nothing i have found that talks about a timing belt interval for example. The dealer had "mentioned" it was required at 105k, but i have not found this requirement nor does the maintenance minder talk about the timing belt for example. I figure someone here works at a dealer and can snag the digital files they have that talk about the maintenance intervals outside of the MM system.

Maybe i am just getting to old school and are to used to set mileage based recommendations.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FactionR
Trust me I am aware of the ECU's function. There is nothing i have found that talks about a timing belt interval for example. The dealer had "mentioned" it was required at 105k, but i have not found this requirement nor does the maintenance minder talk about the timing belt for example. I figure someone here works at a dealer and can snag the digital files they have that talk about the maintenance intervals outside of the MM system.

Maybe i am just getting to old school and are to used to set mileage based recommendations.
You have a timing chain which should never need replacement.

There is no mileage based recommendations because it is based on your driving habits. The engine and engineers are smarter than you.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch
Old 07-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like was said above. The car will tell you what is due based on miles and driving conditions. Kind of funny you are aware of the ECU's function yet don't know it doesn't have a timing belt.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by FactionR

I feel you on this a little, after over 26 years of Honda ownership. My TSX was my 1st Honda with a more complicated OEM ECU, which had some interval settings based upon the ECU, but they weren't the most reliable for years, so I went by my own set intervals. The main ECU wasn't that smart.

But now..... These CAN-BUS systems are much more robust and precise in determining intervals based upon driver habits and outside conditions with the timing chain. I admit, at first it was a little unsettling (I have a CAN-BUS Ford ST, also) .

I still don't trust the 8,000 miles oil changes that my Ford dealer is trying to say. I'll give it 6,000 Miles, but not 8,000 miles.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got a 17 EX-T so lurking the forums. I was pretty hesitant with the MM on my 08 but i followed it to a "T" and went 250k before it was wrecked. Clean never burned oil. used M1 AFE and OEM filters.. mix of A01/A02 during it's life- anyway I'm confident to do the same for this car, pretty sure it would have easily gone another several 100k.

Couple changes I'll make are: I used to wait until the oil life got to 5 or 0.. I'll probably just do it at 15 for this car because of the turbo. I'm trying to figure out if I want to use M1 AFE M1 EP or Pennz Plat this time .. or OEM.... still on factory fill that I will run to 15. Leaning towards M1 EP, oil forums never go anywhere lol.

What I found is that the oil life will have you go 8-9k miles A and B will rotate every other time.. difference is A calls for no oil filter and B has filter and more "inspection" items.. I just did the filter every time. 1 will come up every time for the tire rotation. .. The filter code came up maybe every 3rd or 4th Oil Change.. I don't remember the coolant miles but it did come up more often after the first change.. was a lot of miles. The Plugs come up at 105kish and came up twice for me at which time I did the valve adjustment but it was really a waste of time.. made some tweaks but not much. Brake fluid was every 3 years and now has it's own code which is pretty cool. I think the dealer got the valve adjustment and timing belt replacement mixed up as they will charge you a TON for an adjustment and really don't do anything- spent a couple hours on youtube and figure out the valve adjustment stuff out, I just don't trust mechanics/shops a lot but am pretty novice/intermediate in car stuff. I also had the drive belt and tensioner replaced at 150k just for piece of mind.

I had Gen 1 CVT and it would come up every 3rd oil change.. I did a 3 quart drain and fill and my Tranny gave out at 200k (Yes, I wrecked it at 250k....which was crappy). I will be doing the fill and drain x 3 on this one whenever it comes up.. also- I haven't looked yet but there is a "LIFETIME" CVT filter on gen 1's.. you can get on Amazon for 30ish and I didn't learn about it until my CVT died.. I'll be finding it this time (assuming it's on the 17's and changing that each time as well- mine was almost completely blocked when I tried to blow through it. I found mine by following the coolant line from the bottom of the radiator.. it filters the fluid going through the radiator so the clog probably severely diminished the CVT cooling.. I found out about it deep in some forums when diagnosing my CVT. 25430 PLR 003 was the P/N for it.. no idea if on the 17. On the 08 it was mounted near the bumper / radiator but sometimes it was mounted behind the air filter above the CVT.

Hopefully this helps someone out- and any other recommendations on what to do are welcomed! My rubber was looking like crap/falling apart on the other one so I'll be looking into that.. maybe some silicone spray now and again? I plan on making this my forever car!