Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Throttle Lag

Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Lag

I have a 2006 Civic EX 1.8L Automatic and I have noticed that thing has a large amout of throttle lag when you go from cruise to floor. Also taking off from a stop sign, mash to the floor and literally you feel your body skirt forward in the natural anticipation of the acceleration and its not there momentarily. The car runs fine, there are no problems with it mechanically but it really became apparent to me when I drove my coworkers 2006 Civic LX Manual. His doesn't have the lag like mine. I notice that if i manually shift the auto its not near as bad. Is this normal for these cars? Its scary sometimes if you have to get out in traffic. You want to kick through the floor boards and get all Fred Flinstone on it cause it will not go.

Is there anyway to mod this so its not so bad?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Throttle Lag

For our AT R18s, it's "normal"

http://www.8 t hcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/196699-problems-my-06-civic-ex-coupe.html
http://www.8 t hcivic.com/forums/civic-coupe-sedan/72239-2008-honda-civic-jerky-automatic-transmission-between-10-15-mph.html
http://www.8 t hcivic/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/35880-new-5-spd-auto-transmission-like-dislike.html
http://www.8 t hcivic.com/forums/civic-coupe-sedan/81192-solution-jerky-automatic-transmission-civic.html
http://www.8 t hcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/187591-rough-t-first-shift-09-civic-ex.html
http://www.8 t hcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/188815-deceleration-jerks.html
http://www.8 t hcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/162057-small-jerking-when-braking.html
Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Well mine doesn't so much jerk as it does just take a second to wake and respond to the fact that I hit the gas and it actually has to go. I will admit at 5-10mph its really bad. When your turn a corner and get back on the gas, OMG.... you better not be trying to play chicken with anyone. I wonder if they have tuning software that can fix this. Why does Honda put such a laggy transmission in a sports car? I hate autos as it is (its my wifes car) but my wife wouldn't go for the standard.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. a civic is not a sports car

2. well..that's all that really needed to be said.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drive by wire ! doesnt work out for us =[
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SI !
Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW.. I am looking for a decent daily driver, and test drove a new civic Si today.

Wow is all I can say.. the stick felt like I was driving a damn automatic (because of the DBW lag), and the laginess of the gas pedal is terrible. The purported "rev hang" after a shift is f'ing atrocious as well. Man.. talk about disappointed. I've been a honda fan for a long time, but I'm certainly disappointed.

Now, for those who say "it's not a sports car," sure.. but neither has ANY civic up till now, but that's been honda's "schtick." A good driving car.. suspension, steering response, transmissions, etc. I've driven a lot of hondas up till now and the DBW throttle is irritating as all hell for someone coming from good ole pedals with mechanically operated throttle bodies.. Quite a shame because the rest of the car I found to be great. Guess I'll have to test drive some other cars besides hondas.. *sigh* /rant

Last edited by SlowTeg; 02-19-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand why the DBW might be annoying, but I really don't get how someone could find fault with the transmission.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
FWIW.. I am looking for a decent daily driver, and test drove a new civic Si today.

Wow is all I can say.. the stick felt like I was driving a damn automatic (because of the DBW lag), and the laginess of the gas pedal is terrible. The purported "rev hang" after a shift is f'ing atrocious as well. Man.. talk about disappointed. I've been a honda fan for a long time, but I'm certainly disappointed.

Now, for those who say "it's not a sports car," sure.. but neither has ANY civic up till now, but that's been honda's "schtick." A good driving car.. suspension, steering response, transmissions, etc. I've driven a lot of hondas up till now and the DBW throttle is irritating as all hell for someone coming from good ole pedals with mechanically operated throttle bodies.. Quite a shame because the rest of the car I found to be great. Guess I'll have to test drive some other cars besides hondas.. *sigh* /rant
as far as i know, the rev hang is remedied with Flashpro.

although this shouldn't be the only solution to the problem, it technically IS a fix for it..

who knows? flashpro is still very new to the 06+ Si and maybe they'll also be able to remedy the DBW lag some day.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Isnt the rev hang there because honda has moved over to an electrical throttle response and move away from cable throttle response.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I realize people have said the "rev hang" and crappy throttle response can be made much better with a flashpro, but for those of us looking to keep the car STOCK, and expecting it to drive well off the showroom lot, the new Si's leave a lot to be desired compared to older throttle cable cars.

Personally, the rev hang I can live with (I'm long past the days of wanting to mod the car), as I can shift a little slower. The throttle response, is totally unforgiveable in the car I test drove. I blame the terrible throttle response simply on a poor DBW throttle implementation by honda. On the s2k it's bareable.

Here's a video that shows the lag problem very clearly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr9uOsiBYN8
Old 02-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the DBW is all computerized then it must be fixable. maybe the device that controls the actual throttle can be replaced.. there has to be a solution some time down the road.

According to Hondata, the rev hang was from the ECU giving the motor gas for a split second after you let off the throttle (duh) and they've managed to fix most, if not all of it.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all there for a reason, designed into the computer for reasons like fuel efficiency and smoother shifts. Just look at how awful the kid shifts the RSX under normal shifting. The needle bounces all over there place, a few hundred rpms past where it should for the next gear, almost dropping too fast for normal driving. In the Si, on the otherhand, it's very easy to shift between gears with the rev hang.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FWIW, I test drove another Si (brand new 2010 w/ 5 miles on it), and the throttle didn't feel as laggy as the '09 w/ 9k miles.. That makes me wonder if the computer "learns" and changes how it responds based on the driver.. hmm, or perhaps honda altered the programming slightly..? Ya, I can sorta see the "benefit" of the rev hang, but I find it very obnoxious, as it literally hangs for a whole 1-2 seconds (even on the '10). Shifting quicker results in more work for the syncros, simply because the revs are higher than they should be. Perhaps this is what leads to longer term problems w/ the trannies?

Either way, I'm pretty torn now on what car to get.. I'm considering a used 3 series as well.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not like anyone cares about my ramblings, but figured I'd mention I test drove a couple newer ('06) 3 series, and they have bad throttle lag as well, so they're pretty much off the list now as well. After much deliberation, I'm going to get a used s2k before the DBW throttle. I hope honda gets the DBW throttle lag reduced/fixed in later versions. It seems there are some cars out there where it's very minimal (apparently the Mini), but many cars do in fact suffer from the DBW lag like the civics..
Old 02-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Oracle of GDD

as it literally hangs for a whole 1-2 seconds (even on the '10).
I call complete BS on "a whole 1-2 seconds."
Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross
I call complete BS on "a whole 1-2 seconds."
I **** you not.. when the car is fully warmed up.. Rev it to 4-5k or so, and shift. It's literally, no bullshit, 1 second or so. It's really that bad.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Oracle of GDD

I **** you not.. when the car is fully warmed up.. Rev it to 4-5k or so, and shift. It's literally, no bullshit, 1 second or so. It's really that bad.
I guarantee you it is not.

A car that had a 1-2 second rev-hang time would not be drivable. It's more like a few milliseconds that seems like an eternity because of what we're used to.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ross,

Have you driven the car? It sounds like you haven't even driven one, but are merely expressing what you "think." It's not CONSISTENTLY one full second, but the rev hang can be as bad as 1 full second or so (at its worst). Maybe I should say about a second or more, vs. 1-2 seconds. It's most certainly not a few milliseconds, or you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could notice the hang.

Despite the rev hang, it's still driveable, you just merely shift a lot slower (which might be good for people who shift slow), but highly annoying.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Oracle of GDD

Ross,

Have you driven the car? It sounds like you haven't even driven one, but are merely expressing what you "think." It's not CONSISTENTLY one full second, but the rev hang can be as bad as 1 full second or so (at its worst). Maybe I should say about a second or more, vs. 1-2 seconds. It's most certainly not a few milliseconds, or you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could notice the hang.

Despite the rev hang, it's still driveable, you just merely shift a lot slower (which might be good for people who shift slow), but highly annoying.
So you are saying that when you lift off the gas, the car will maintain the same RPM for 1 second or more?

If that's what you are saying, I can't agree. Even the 06 didn't have that kind of rev-hang.

And yeah, I have driven an Si once or twice.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross
So you are saying that when you lift off the gas, the car will maintain the same RPM for 1 second or more?
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

If that's what you are saying, I can't agree. Even the 06 didn't have that kind of rev-hang.
Like I said before, it doesn't ALWAYS hang for 1 second, but fluctuates quite a bit. Sometimes when letting up after shifting, it'll hang maybe for a half second, but sometimes it's very bad (about a second). It really was that obnoxious, and pointed it out to the salesman (while he was sitting next to me), and he just had a puzzled look on his face.

Either way, there's no point beating a dead horse. The Si definitely has a problem w/ "rev hang," if it doesn't bother you great.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a second...end of discussion.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Like I said before, it doesn't ALWAYS hang for 1 second, but fluctuates quite a bit. Sometimes when letting up after shifting, it'll hang maybe for a half second, but sometimes it's very bad (about a second). It really was that obnoxious, and pointed it out to the salesman (while he was sitting next to me), and he just had a puzzled look on his face.

Either way, there's no point beating a dead horse. The Si definitely has a problem w/ "rev hang," if it doesn't bother you great.
i think from here we will have to see videos, or it didn't happen.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not like the throttle lag either. I got flash-Pro and a dyno due - problem solved!
My car is completely different.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's a reflash for it. supposed to fix majority of the lag/hang. I still haven't got it done. but it's a sticky on 8th civic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Lag